This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All Crop 60 Draper Drive Roller Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac&Homelite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Crop 60 Draper Drive Roller Repair
    Posted: 23 May 2019 at 5:03pm
So a brief overview, I am currently working on an early All Crop 60 and getting it in working order so it can harvest this summer for a research project. Anyway, I am having issues getting enough friction on the main draper belt drive roller. It has been worked on by several people before me and they tried applying some brush on bedliner so the roller is currently quite hard and has next to no texture. The old canvas has been replaced with the replacement rubber draper belting.

Obviously I can keep on putting more tension on the belt, but I'm not sure if that is a road I want to go down and I'd rather try to fix this to the best way possible and not have any problems during harvest. This does not have to be a permanent fix as the combine will not see more than 20 or so acres during the project, but again reliability is the most important. I've ordered some conveyor roller covering material from McMaster in an attempt to add some more friction to the drive roller, but that sadly is not an option and is just as slippery as the roller is currently.

What have other people done on this issue short of having it recovered by a specialty company?

Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 5:19pm
I got a spray can of bed liner and sprayed a couple coats onto the roller,  Has lasted for over 10 acres of crops so far.  I'm also wondering if that self adheasive step material would work but haven't tried it.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 5:57pm
Saw this a while back, cheap enough...

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 10:02pm
If you can find it, wrap “friction tape” around it.
Or...what I do...spray or brush on “Flex Seal”. It’s rubber and maintains a semi-soft texture after drying and grips canvases well. I’ve cut 40 acres and never had an issue.
The canvas does need to be fairly tight...
What’s the serial number on your combine by chance?
wade89 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 6:53am
My 66 came with strips of hockey tape wrapped around the top roller. Strips are about 6” on center. Seems to work fine
Mac&Homelite View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac&Homelite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:24am
SN of the combine is A39134. I was considering that plastic non-slip tread tape too as well as a product like flex-seal. My only concern was the product wearing off, or in the case of the tape an end coming undone and all coming off. I'm glad to hear that someone has had success with getting the rollers more grip without sending the roller to be recovered. Even better since these options are cheap and easy to apply.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:37am
Welcome to the forum. Have any other allis stuff.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac&Homelite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:47am
No other Allis equipment as of yet... This is a research project I am working on with my school, but aside from that I'm very fond of vintage equipment. I do more work with smaller handheld stuff, saws mainly, but am working my way up in project size when funds and equipment handling capability allow. Who knows, maybe an Allis tractor project is in the near future.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 8:43am
Very nice. Without my book handy, I’d say your combine was built in either late 1950 or 1951. That makes it a 60A instead of a 60, but it’s about 98% the same machine. They just started a second production run of 60s in late 1949 and called them the A Series because they had a few updates to them, but not enough to call them a entirely different model.

Edited by CrestonM - 24 May 2019 at 8:43am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac&Homelite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 7:30am
So an update on the draper issue. I decided to go with some rubber traction tape (like the use on decks) and wrap the drive rollers in a spiral pattern. I had first tried some conveyor roller cover, but that was too slippery, when I tested it. Anyway, yesterday I finally got a tractor in to test it and did not see the kind of results I was looking for. 

The lower roller I put the tape and heat shrunk the ends from getting pulled up by using some of the excess conveyor roller cover. That draper got stuck as it came around the top roller and wouldn't make it past to work on going back down. The upper draper I just put on the tape and not the shrink tubing, because it looks liked the top drum is riveted to the shaft almost, so I though I would save myself some time there. The top draper did end up turning normally, but the tape came unwound to about half the way on the drive roller for the upper belt. 

Does anyone have some ideas? I'm scratching my head on what I can do to get the lower draper to turn. I'm using the newer rubber impregnated belting, and I feel like its about as tight as I can get comfortably. Is there something I'm missing on how the belts operate?

Here's a link to the roller wrapping since the files are too large to post on here. 
Johnny8@cox.net View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny8@cox.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 6:25pm
I am about to remove my 60A drapers. Where do I start?
Thanks, Johnny
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 11:44pm
Belzona has elastomers which will do the trick.  They are not cheap but will work.
They have several durometers available.  
I used Belzona D&A Elastomer to rebuild a pair of mineral block/feed block press heads, in the 1990's.  I have also use the Belzona Elastomers to repair conveyer belts and heavy equipment tires.

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 12:20am
Is the spiral tape trying to run the draper over to one side, following the spiral?  Maybe you should just put strips around in a straight line.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac&Homelite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 12:38pm
Well, I got sidetracked with harvest when I finished the rollers. To repair the damaged rubber rollers I added rubber tread tape sold at hardware stores and wrapped it in a spiral fashion along the two drive rollers for the draper belts. Initially I just wrapped it in from one end and wrapped it to the other. However after the first time in the field I was having issues with it. So, to fix that little issue, I wrapped from the two ends towards the center in a way that the the drive roller never had a chance to spin on the edges and catch and wind it up. I had some of that conveyor roller cover I initially purchased for the project, which is a big piece of heat shrink basically, and put that on the ends so that it wouldn't catch on the draper belt at all. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic