This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air Brake ABS ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Brake ABS ?
    Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 5:03pm
For the "big trucks" with air brakes, are the trucks able to have ABS ??
Sponsored Links

Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 5:18pm
ABS and traction control
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 5:22pm
Long TIME Ago, look up FMVSS121
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 7:38pm
Sure do!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 7:46pm
yup, gone are the days when you had to KNOW how to drive a vehicle......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 8:27pm
ABS on class 8 trucks nowadays. OOS violation if inoperable at inspection for the tractor, warning for trailer.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 29 Dec 2021 at 8:27pm
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

yup, gone are the days when you had to KNOW how to drive a vehicle......

Especially those Godforsaken auto shift transmissions.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 10:04pm
They suck on an empty trailer in the rain if you brake very hard. I'd rather have the sliding trailer than the release,grab,release grab. The release feels like you sped up.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 6:19am
Sure does!!
And yes driving knowledge is a lost art now.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 6:45am
ABS = ALL BRAKES SUCK 
 I've been driving professionally since those 121 brakes were first out there. There's no feeling like when you push the brake peddle and nothing happens and with the 121 brakes more often than not, that's what you got. I will admit that the newest systems are better (when they do work) than the 121 ever was. Before I ever got a license, We had a neighbor across the street that was an engineer working for ATA who was a big part of developing the "121" system, with all the skid testing on lake Michigan back in the late 60s and early 70s. He never spoke highly of it and always was against the timeline that was mandated to meet. His biggest complaint was the problem of corrosion in all those wiring connections and failed sensors. Imagine that salty water corroding things?
 As for me, I'd still rather have complete control of what the brakes are doing than having a computer say" No you don't need no brakes". There are times when even a controlled skid is better than freewheeling. The best solution is to SLOW DOWN AND NOT FOLLOW SO CLOSE when driving in bad weather. Too many people on the roads today are no longer DRIVERS, just steering wheel holders, in both cars and trucks. As we know most don't even know how to use a dimmer switch anymore.  Like one of the bumper stickers on my hauler trailer "If you can't operate the turn signals, what make you think you can operate the rest of the car?"
  Same goes for those "Auto-Shift" transmissions. That computer can not see what is ahead of you and is always trying to be in the highest gear possible, not the proper gear for the conditions. When I was driving the one truck that had the "Auto-Shift" in bad weather I found I had to use the "Manual" button to maintain proper gearing for the conditions. And what goes with having Brail bumps on the shift buttons of a tractor trailer?Wacko
 As for self driving cars being the latest fad, We've always had them. They are called TAXIES Wink

Edited by PaulB - 01 Jan 2022 at 7:09pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 12:19pm
Ah yes - the days when they were first put on trucks - believe 1976 or so as my GMC Dump truck has that box on back wall of cab behind drivers seat - WITH ALL THE CUT WIRES, where Anti-Lock controls were mounted and fount they were a FIASCO when in working order on heavy trucks . 
  Then the new sensing brake application on tractors where your going down a entrance ramp to highway around a curve and brakes apply as truck says you are exceeding the speed for the ramp . Every time I drove one of then with a smooth bore tanker loaded it was a scary ride . 
 Then on slick roads with a gravel shoulder of putting one set of wheels on the gravel to control braking , another learned option of keeping everything in line when slowing down with brakes .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 1:48pm
Coke,pulled NH3 tanker with that on it. Good luck trying to get any speed on the on ramp to merge with interstate traffic. Not a safety feature in my book.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic