This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC Trailer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 9:40am
I hope you don't weld sides on it. Make some brackets and bolt on outer deck holes or such. Then when the right guy comes along you can still get a little out of it. If price was lower and father west it would have sold. I can't give 600.00 and come east that far to resell it. 
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
Sponsored Links

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 10:29am
Also wish you were closer to me.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
rustymetal View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustymetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 12:10am
You can't even buy a cheap Tractor supply trailer around here for less than $600.
I just looked at a tilt bed all sheet metal trailer at Lowes here that's made in China and they want $1150 for it. Its sort of a knock off of what Home Depot used to sell as a Snow Bear trailer. Then add 7% sales tax on top of that.
I was going to cut 16" steel strips out of an old fuel oil tank I picked up as scrap and make metal sides for this. Welding them on is the easiest way. I'd cut the panels from each corner of the tank that way I can end up with a 90 degree lip on all sides. Although its not my color of choice, I also was given several gallons of leftover bridge paint in Sage green polyester urethane. The color most bridges are painted.  The best part is that when put over a good rust converting primer, its nearly un-removable. I've had to weld on a few things I painted with it and it took a 60 grit grinding wheel to get through it.
yardiron View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yardiron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 8:16pm
I had almost the same trailer about two years ago, it came with a matching Terra Tiger that didn't run. I listed it as a pair for $800 and didn't get a reply. I finally parted the TT out and sold the trailer to a guy who uses it to haul firewood on his property. He torched off the fenders, put on 15" wheels and he bolted an old heating oil tank to it with the top cut out and he uses it like a small pickup bed.
Six wheel ATV's don't sell well around here, there's no place to ride them. As long as Harbor Freight sells a $350 trailer, you won't find anyone to buy a used one either. Lately what I've found is that if its not cheap or free, there's no market for it anymore.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustymetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 8:50pm
AC anything is an oddity around here, there never was any dealers so there never were many AC products sold when it came to anything besides larger farm tractors. There are plenty of old AC "B" models and the occasional "W" tractor so someone must has sold them at one point but the little stuff is few and far between. Cub Cadet and JD were always the more common brand here and each had multiple dealers over the years.
Even the nearest Simplicity dealer, who is long gone now, was over an hour away.

silverstreak View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverstreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 9:21pm
I still wish you were closer, but I'd be looking at a 200 mile round trip.
I just can't justify killing a day off to come get something I really don't need.

Around here that thing would be gone in a heartbeat. AC and Simplicity are king around here with a few green machines here and there and there's a large Wheel Horse following here.

There's also the issue that NJ doesn't title trailers, and bringing a trailer from NJ to PA is a nightmare. If it don't have an actual title, it takes a lot of legwork here in PA to get it registered. From what I understand, Delaware is the same way.

I lived in NJ for a few years back in the 90's, I brought my boat and trailer with me from PA. Since we didn't title boats here in PA back then, getting a boat title there took two trips to the state police barracks, a certified letter from Fish and Game here in PA, and three trips to the DMV to get the boat registered. The trailer was another issue, since the trailer was older, it had only a 6 digit VIN, which NJ wouldn't recognize. After a trip to the state police, four to the DMV, someone finally just told me it needed to be registered as homemade because no matter what I did the NJ DMV computer will never accept the original VIN. So I registered it as homemade, forfeited the original PA trailer title, and all was good. Until I moved back to PA 15 years later. The boat was no big deal, just a fee and I got a new PA title for it, but PA refused to recognize a NJ 'Homemade' trailer registration. They do not acknowledge the NJ DMV generated VIN and insisted on more proof of ownership. I ended up just selling the thing in NJ and buying a new trailer in PA. PA wanted me to find a PA trailer manufacturer who would certify and issue a VIN number on my old trailer, most wouldn't bother, the few that would wanted more than the trailer was worth.

yardiron View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yardiron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 9:54pm
I've heard that PA is tough on homemade trailers, here we just have to take a few pics, get a weight slip and go get a tag. They assign a new VIN to most all trailers unless they have an unbroken line of paperwork from day one, which when it comes to old trailers, isn't very often. I've owned trailers I bought new, let them sit for a few decades, then decide to tag them back up and they want me to pay all the past years registration. That's not going to happen so it gets registered as homemade.

I keep hearing the economy is getting better but as far as buying and selling things like old tractors, boats, or outboards, its been getting steadily worse for the past 10 or 11 years now. There was a time when I'd list a clean old AC tractor and I'd get a dozen emails, now I'm lucky to get one, and maybe a few low ball offers at less than scrap weight. No one has any money, and those that do buy new equipment. There's no in between these days. Guys are either living paycheck to paycheck or they're making enough money to not bother with the old stuff anymore.
There's also far less people who will buy a project or something that needs some work.
If it don't start and run like a brand new machine, they're not interested. They don't know the difference between surface rust and rot, they don't know the difference between American Made Iron and box store crap either.
I can sell as many box store riders as I can get, regardless of the brand just so its shiny, but the old stuff draws little to no interest these days.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustymetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 10:54pm
In general, all you get from CL these days is tire kickers and lowballers. They get mad when you won't sell it for scrap weight or less.
I've had two or three calls on the trailer so far but all were at least 6+ hours away.
I had a guy email then finally call me on another trailer I have listed. He was from CT, about a 3 1/2 hour drive from here without traffic. He had me measure it, give him several specs, then he asked for directions and my address. (Keep in mind he replied to an ad on South Jersey CL). When I told him he's looking at roughly 8 hours round trip, he backed out, saying it was too far to drive.
 I sold the trailer the next day to a guy who drove up from Florida to get it. When that guy got here he tells me he had no idea NJ was so far from FL???

I listed an old camper I inherited over the summer, it was in OK shape, but it was about 40 years old. I had no interest in it so I listed it for $800 cash. I got several dozen emails but no one ever showed up to even look at it after about four months.
Then one weekday about a month ago, I get an email from a guy saying he's up this way from Texas and saw my ad. I gave him my address and he came right over. He was driving an older Toyota Prius, complete with a shiny new trailer hitch.
He looked the camper over, handed me cash, hitched it up and drove away. Again, no tag, no light hook up, nothing, not even a place to hook the safety chains. Three days later he emailed me a pic of him with his car and the trailer in front of the bulkheads in Galveston, TX.
It wasn't a huge camper but it was still 26ft with a tandem axle. My half ton pickup definitely knew it was towing something.  I couldn't imagine towing it with a small car, let alone without a trailer brake hookup.I did notice in the pic he sent that he added a set of those cheap magnetic towing lights from Harbor Freight. I suppose that was easier than figuring out how to connect a 7 pin RV plug to a Prius with a hitch.

silverstreak View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverstreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 11:10am
PA isn't that bad for homemade trailers, they just don't hand out registrations like some states do. I've gone through the process for five trailers now and its not that bad. The form they use just includes many types of vehicles and looks overly complicated.
Basically they just want a description of how its constructed, what it weighs, and a few pictures of it. You will also have to get an initial inspection by one of the 'Enhanced inspection locations'. Its not much different than in NJ we just don't have as many state DMV offices or state run inspection stations.

I don't see where its anything that anyone who deals with the type of stuff well all do here can't handle. I wouldn't expect them to just hand over a tag and registration just for the asking. If it were that easy, then we'd have trailers getting stolen and registered all over the place.

I know what you mean about CL, I had a guy show up last week to buy an old MTD garden tractor, with a 48" deck. He was driving a Toyota SUV with no trailer. He dragged out two planks, hooked a come along to the driver's seat frame and cranked that thing right up into the back. The deck didn't quite fit at first so he just cranked harder on the come along. When he was done, he threw a few pounds of interior plastic in my trash can and was on his way. I couldn't imagine how he planned to unload it. I suppose a tree and a chain was in the plan.  I had another guy show up with a fairly new Lexus sedan to buy a used rear for an old F350, it was rusty, greasy, and heavy. He and his buddy had no issue with just tossing it on the trunk and shoving it through the opening in the back seat atop the white leather upholstery. The guy basically destroyed both rear seat backs and what ever console was in the middle, not to mention ripping up the edge of the trunk and weatherstripping. 
I had another guy buy an old fiberglass canoe I was selling, he showed up with a brand new Toyota Avalon. He paid me, dragged the canoe out to the car across the stone driveway, then proceeded to drag it up onto the roof over the hood. He then dug around in the trunk, got out two black rubber bungee cords and hooked one to the front of the canoe and to the plastic grill, and hooked the other to the lower lip of the trunk. After deciding that it wasn't enough, he broke out a roll of duct tape and wrapped it with duct tape around the middle going through both rear windows about 10 times.
The car was no more than a few years old at best. I had asked if he wanted some foam padding but he said no, its a company car. .....Something to think about when giving an employee a car to drive I guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic