This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC PTO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC PTO
    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 5:49pm
I have a 1967 AC 190XT which has a 1000 rpm PTO. I would like to convert it to a 540 rpm. I have read they made the 540, 1000 and the 540/1000. Seems to me there must be a way to change gears/shafts to change mine from 1000 to a single 540 rpm. Am I correct or is it not possible?
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 5:56pm
Later tractors came with a reversible PTO shaft, likely yours is dedicated 1000 RPM unit.  Earlier ones were either 540 or 1000, dedicated.  I don't know what would be involved to do the change over to get 540 out of yours...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 6:15pm
Thanks for the reply.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 8:12pm
Someone will have the answer. I'd bet possible but may be too involved.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 9:18pm
You have to drop the PTO box under the belly and change two gears. Now the question is, are you a manual "grind-it-in-gear" style PTO, or the hydraulic clutch type?? The first one is pretty easy to change and the hyd clutch type more difficult unless you change out the whole PTO box.
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 9:54pm
I just got the tractor and a not sure yet.  Should have the answer tomorrow.
Chris (WY)
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 11:14am
The PTO has a lever on the right inner side of the seat that says engaged and brake. Forward is engaged. Can you tell from this info if it is manual or hydraulic, or do I need to try to shift it without the clutch in to see if it is manual?

Edited by milomilo - 16 Feb 2020 at 11:16am
Chris (WY)
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 11:23am
That's the optional hydraulic clutch PTO. Are you sure what you have on the rear of the tractor isn't the 540/1000 style with the 1000 side turned out ??
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 11:29am
I bet thats it too, never seen one as just 1000, but there could be

Edited by DougG - 16 Feb 2020 at 11:29am
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

You have to drop the PTO box under the belly and change two gears. Now the question is, are you a manual "grind-it-in-gear" style PTO, or the hydraulic clutch type?? The first one is pretty easy to change and the hyd clutch type more difficult unless you change out the whole PTO box.

I did start the tractor, in neutral and engine running and I can shift the pto lever in and out with no grinding, not like my Farmall M.
Chris (WY)
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 12:39pm

That's the optional hydraulic clutch PTO. Are you sure what you have on the rear of the tractor isn't the 540/1000 style with the 1000 side turned out ??

No, I am not sure. I will check the splines and see what the spline number is.
Chris (WY)
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 12:56pm
The shaft and clutch were replaced by the PO. The pto output shaft is fine spline now. Not the 6 spline I see on a 540 pto.

Chris (WY)
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 12:59pm
How do you post pics on this forum?
Chris (WY)
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 1:00pm
The shaft they replaced is a 540 6 spline.
Chris (WY)
Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 1:22pm
How many bolts hold the shaft in?
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Joe(OH) Joe(OH) wrote:

How many bolts hold the shaft in?

Three.
Chris (WY)
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 2:52pm
Well then, provided they changed the PTO clutch assembly or the gears on the clutch and its driving gear, you do have 1,000 RPM only. I don't suppose the owner gave you the old parts ??
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 3:50pm

Well then, provided they changed the PTO clutch assembly or the gears on the clutch and its driving gear, you do have 1,000 RPM only. I don't suppose the owner gave you the old parts ??

I do have the old shaft and the hydraulic clutch and a bag of small parts. Would it help if I posted pictures of everything?

Edited by milomilo - 16 Feb 2020 at 3:55pm
Chris (WY)
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 4:20pm
Wouldn't hurt, but if you have the whole PTO box with the clutch inside of it and a single gear all by itself and a rear 540 spline PTO shaft, you should have all you need.
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 4:24pm

Wouldn't hurt, but if you have the whole PTO box with the clutch inside of it and a single gear all by itself and a rear 540 spline PTO shaft, you should have all you need.

I will look in the bag for the gear and let you know.
Chris (WY)
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 5:14pm
Pics of all the parts they gave me. I do not see a gear.
Chris (WY)
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 5:44pm
I see a gear. Is that not the one?
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

I see a gear. Is that not the one?

I was thinking he meant a small gear internal to the clutch. Likely a bad assumption.
Chris (WY)
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 6:01pm
I see the clutch gear, but not the smaller gear that drives it.
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 6:40pm
No other gear in the bag. It does make me wonder that If the shaft they replaced was for a 540, why put in a 1000 shaft. Kinda makes me think to just put the old shaft back in so I have the 540 spline. Probably not that simple. I have a Massey 1100 that I think I will check what the pto looks like running and compare it to the Allis. Could be the guy I got it from was wrong about it being a 1000.
Chris (WY)
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 12:37pm
DrAllis:

What do you recommend now?

Chris (WY)
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 1:03pm
I have a tachometer and would check the actual PTO speed at full throttle. If it is about 660 to 680 RPM, you have 540 gearing. If it is 1100 RPM or so, you have 1000 RPM gearing. You can shove the 540 shaft into it and regardless of the actual speed it will work.
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 3:10pm

I have a tachometer and would check the actual PTO speed at full throttle. If it is about 660 to 680 RPM, you have 540 gearing. If it is 1100 RPM or so, you have 1000 RPM gearing. You can shove the 540 shaft into it and regardless of the actual speed it will work.

Ordered a hand held tachometer today. Been wanting one several times over the years. I will always remember it was you that made me buy one.Smile Update coming in a few days. Thanks much for your help with this.
Chris (WY)
Pete from IL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete from IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:37am
If you can find a 2 speed rear pto-lift arm housing you can put that on and then you will have the reversible 540-1000 pto shaft. Thats what I did years ago with my XT190 with full time 1000 pto. You will need the shaft that drives the pto assembly also.  Something else to think about.
milomilo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milomilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 9:33am
Thanks Pete. I will keep that idea as an option.
Chris (WY)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic