This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ac hd5 - Should I buy or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooonmanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ac hd5 - Should I buy or not?
    Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 11:03am
Hi,
I'm new to the AC forum.  Everyone seems knowledgeable and helpful.  Let me first say many thanks for what looks like a great forum that I will be checking regularly.  I'm on other tractor forums and find them helpful and interesting.  

At some point in my near to not-so-distant future I will inherit a portion of a farm.  I would like to buy the other portion I don't own from my relatives but that takes $$ I don't have right now.  In the mean time, I mow 10 acres to keep it looking nice and talk ALOT about expanding the current 100 acres into about 125-130  acres of shared farm ground.  At some point, I should be able to get it to about 150 acres total.  

Located about 3 hours from my home (north) and 5 hours from where it will go to work is an AC HD5 dozer for sale.  The description reads well with the exception of one side of the rails are worn.  It's got a rebuilt engine, newer batteries, clutches and sprockets.  

It looks like it would be perfect for the smaller projects on the farm of removing medium sized trees, fence posts and fence rows to make farm ground accessible for our share crops.  We have cut a lot of trees down and they are all laying on the ground with weeds growing up through them.   

Below is a pic of the dozer.  Curious what you guys think?  I don't have a pic of the other side.

FYI - I'd be glad to sell the dozer for a reasonable price after the above chores are done. 

I don't have much experience with dozers, working on them or driving.  But I can't see paying $125/hr.  No one will have a bigger smile on their face when the darn locust trees are pushed out of the pastures that have caused me so many flat tires.  And even bigger smile when the brush, fallen trees and whatever else is laying on the ground is cleared away for more crops.  

I'm hopeful the ROI of 25 more acres will payback the dozer cost in about 2-3 years assuming beans and wheat remain strong and weather.  

Of course, I'll have the biggest frown and few choice words if I'm having to work on the dozer more than it's working for me.  With google and this forum by my side, I'll tackle most any repairs on the dozer.  

Many thanks in advance for your insight and sharing of knowledge.  Look forward to hearing your fair and honest thoughts on this endeavor I'm considering. 

Price is in the $4k range.

PE

Sponsored Links

Dek Thorne View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dek Thorne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 4:36pm
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of very nolegible people on here who will tell u what to look for. I will tell u that old dozers can get costly quick.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 6:08pm
HD5G - counter weights look like it might be late model machine 
With serial # can give you the year (1948 to 1955) - about 48 HP machine so don't plan on moving the world in one push - but a little at a time slowly 
 should have 4 speed trany with 2 reverse (hi and low speed) track is hard to find so be sure it's good and bushings are not worn through - feel top and bottom to see if they have been turned .   

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
spooonmanz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooonmanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 6:45pm
Hi Coke.  
Thanks for the insight.  
There's a sticker with "AC 1926  HD 5/6" in the pics.  I was texting the owner and he confirmed your findings, it's an hd5G.  Unsure if this is the serial number or not.  
Also has 2 new batteries.  

Most of the trees on the farm are 4-6" in diameter.  We have a lot of ground cover from an old box springs of a mattress that's sunken into the top of the ground, large rocks, mound of dirt with grass over it now that could be leveled, vines ground cover that mowers don't get, overgrown fence rows, truck bed trailer full of shingles melted into it, brush piled up, fallen trees.... you name it, we have it somewhere.  Pitiful.  I think this little track loader would clear 90+% of the stuff down there.  If it holds up.  

In texting the owner, he says the "rails" or tracks, one side is good, other side is worn out.  
Thanks again,
PE
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooonmanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 6:48pm
When you say "check top or bottom" are you referring to the bushings?  That as they wear out, the owner will turn them so the unused round portion is now being used?  And the worn sides will be more flat than round.  So it's easy to see if they are wore out.  

Until about 2-3 months ago, I knew nothing about machines with tracks.  After reading and researching, I know more, but that's obviously not saying much.  Trying to understand the "50% or 80% undercarriage" has been a hurdle I think I'm almost over. 

PE
Dek Thorne View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dek Thorne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 6:29am
That machine should be big enough for what u would want to do. You just gotta remember the size of the machine u have and treat it accordingly.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 7:25am
You got a big pile of money lying around and need a place to put it then an old
track machine is just the answer.
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 1:38pm
I live not to far from that dozer. thought about calling him. the guy seems to be very knowledgeable about dozers. For what he is asking and the description then I don't think you can go wrong. ihave an h4 allis. the h5 is a little bigger. If you were going to buy it and use it everyday I woudnt recommend that but I would think if you just operated when you need it, did the reguired maint on it it would last a long time. people will tell you to look at the tracks and sprockets. the guy said the sprockets  were very nice. He is suppose to have new rollers for it. Go look at the crawler. Look under the pads and you will see the outside of the pins that holds the tracks together. when the rails wear down it get into the rollars. they start wearing the outside of the pins. if you have at least an 1 1/2 metal left before it gets into those pins then using it every so often they will last along time. once the rollers wear down into the pins then they will come loose and you will have to replace them.  he said the motor was over hauled with less than 10 hours. Who overhauled it is a good question to ask. In regards to everything I said its a gamble either way. Go look at it. drive it and make sure all works as it should. Talk to the seller and try to determine how honest he is. Sounds good according to the ad and the price seems okay but you have to make that decision. If you cant work on them your self then your probably best to back away. 80 to125 bucks an hour to work o them mounts up fast. you can get help from people here on how to to fix things but some parts will scare the hell out of you. Good luck on your search.  norm in missouri
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooonmanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:19pm
Hi. I have texted the seller multiple times. He replies with same honesty as the ad. I received more pics. It's 3 hours away. Hard not to make the purchase if I go look at it and the wife has given me the green light.
Drugs smokes and alcohol are much worse than an old track but gary you have a valid point.
I called a heavy equip hauler for a quote. They are calling me back tomorrow.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooonmanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:31pm
Transport cost = $1750 for about 8 hours transporting.  This has to be the highest.  At that price, I'd put a down payment on a Cummins diesel rig and rent a flatbed.  This hauling aspect has me stumped.  I'm now leaning towards a lease for a backhoe or excavator to remove the trees.  Thank you for all the responses and feedback.  
PE
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:39pm
Currently $4.50 loaded mile here in mid-MO.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 7:11pm
I had an HD5 once hauled it in on a single axle rollback.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

I had an HD5 once hauled it in on a single axle rollback.
ya, but he was overloaded! creeper cop bait! LOL
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooonmanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:22pm
158 miles from kcmo to the track loader.
284 miles from track loader's current home to it's new home.
Then about 120 miles back to kcmo.

If I got a 1 ton dually avg about 6mpg, that's 562 miles, about 100 gal or $250 for fuel. Hmmmm..... You got me thinking again.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 4:30am
Any local excavation contractors?  Many times as I have found they will haul at the loaded mile rate.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 6:33am
Might talk to trash hauler with a roll off  box  - 2 machines i bought had them moved that way - and at good low price 
  I moved my HD5G quite a few times with the rollback flatbed - single axle Chev cabover I had - grossed out at 31,000 so only 4,000 overweight - but it looked legal (almost)
 If that's all he is asking for machine - that price is good if tracks stay on and nothing is broken . 
 Pins and bushings wear on the outside and inside both and that side against the sprocket can show the wear but inside pin ind inside of the bushing get elliptical wear pattern also - rail height is another thing as the outside of the link on pin boss will show wear from rollers as the link height wears down - ( that 50% or whatever % of track wear given) 
 Transport cost seems real high - son had a plasma cutter moved from KC to here - flatbed covered load - for $3.00 a mile - not a lot of weight but took full 45' of trailer. 
 Cost of brokered load would be - from seller / to your drop site - not the empty miles the truck travels to and from his starting point. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 6:58am
Theres a fellow around Moberly named timothy davenport. He hauls his big 953 cat around. Don't have his number but he should be listed in either cairo or Moberly. Give him a call. norm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooonmanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 9:39pm
Thank you for the replies.  I will look into these other options.  I reached back out to the seller to see if it was gone yet.  He had someone check it out today.  I asked for a video and got one of the engine running.  Sounds good.  

Turns out he purchased the loader at an auction.  The previous owner went through the machine and rebuilt the engine.  Unfortunately, he's passed.  If you listen to the video, I'm no diesel mechanic, it sure sounds good.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 6:10am
hd5 is a great all around machine in my opinion. the big thing of track wear was already mentioned here but it sounds like machine was gone over. that means steering clutches are good which is big. mice like to get in there and cause them to seize. you need to find out about the worn track. was one replaced and not the other? is there something worn that is making it wear out quickly? check the idlers for wear, sprockets also. having a loader vs a dozer blade is a big benefit for what you are doing. if it were me and I had the money I say go for it. resale is always good, even if parted out. machines are very simple designed but can be overwhelming for the inexperienced. good luck
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooonmanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 7:14am
Thanks ddh5b. I'm checking other transportation options. If it's still available, I told him I would come up when he was available and check it out. I've pestered him so much. It's time to make a decision and I'm leaning to buying it.   

I advise my dad he better get ready to drive a loader. I keep thinking we can keep mowing the 10 acres and never make headway or bite the bullet, buy this loader and give it a shot. We will easily get another 10 acres of farm ground and really start returning the farm to it's former glory.

I suspect everyone on here and I will become great friends.

I don't know if I will ever come close to $5k for a track loader/dozer.

What's funny is I thought I would stop at harbor freight and buy a micrometer set for measuring and take a notebook and go to measuring and figuring ( almost Jethro style 😀). My gut says the guy has been honest. Use the loader for the most critical work that needs to get done. Then when or if we have to plunk 2k down on track or repair well we just have to.

I will have the most expensive 50's hd5g in the Midwest. By the way, my wife is going to "frown" at me. She may have said yes but underneath she meant no.   

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 7:27am
Don't need micrometers to inspect track, just a decent ruler/tape and a helper.  Take any pin on a link on a properly tensioned rail, set the ruler/tape to one side of the pin showing thru the link as you look under a track shoe a face is to one side or the other of the pin not facing to or away from the shoes, measure to the same side of the fifth pin away, divide that number by four and you have a average of the length of a single link bushing to pin.  Usually around .120-.125 or roughly 1/8" longer than the standard measurement is 100% worn out.  That said if has 6" rails 6 1/8" is worn out, 6 and 1/4" would be 6 3/8" and so on.  HD5 should be a 6 1/2"(or a little less) when new, if measure out to 6 5/8" or longer are worn out pin to bushing wear.   There are other measurements to check but this is the key inspection point.

Edited by DMiller - 07 May 2017 at 7:30am
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 7:46am
I bought my h4 up north of kirksvlle. since I knew they had halled it I told him I would pay his asking price if he hauled it to my place 80 miles and he did.  He has had that for sale for awhile. you would think it would have been sold by now so maybe you can make some arrangements for him to haul it to your place. Those people who buy that stuff usually have the means of hauling it or has a friend that does. offer him 300 to deliver it. he will still make money for delivering it. Not sure where your at but if your around the jeff city area then 200 miles he still would make another 200 for delivery. Guy sounds like he woud work with you. Loader is a lot more versital. Remember one thing if you buy it. Make sure you check all oil levels before you operate it. If the motor was just overhauled then I would change the motor oil. I think I have an allis h5 service  manual so if you do buy it I live in Moberly so you can look at it on the way through. $50 bucks. norm in moberly
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooonmanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:06am
Thanks. The farm is located in Lamar.      
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 6:55am
A very quick assessment of the track is to look at the front Idler position. As the pins and bushings wear the idler is adjusted forward. If the idler is at the forward end of the adjustment the chain is worn out. Unfortunately some people remove a link from the chain to keep the chain tight. Operating with a link removed will wear out the sprockets quickly. So if the idler is in the adjustment range and the sprockets are good and the bushings are nearly round the chain should last a long time.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooonmanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:11am
Thanks Dozer. Wish I could see this from a picture versus driving 3 hrs.
I'm hoping this weekend we can make it up there to check it out.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 6:17pm
Make sure you know how many links an HD 5 should have, then go count them...Wink
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 5:56am
did you buy the allis
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Make sure you know how many links an HD 5 should have, then go count them...Wink

Don't know how the HD 5 became a link to wheels, on fleabay, must be sumthin that the compuker does...WinkWink
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooonmanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 6:41am
I didn't make it up there last weekend's due to family obligations. Now there is an hd6 track loader for sale for 6500 an hour and half closer to home. Thats 2k more but it has recent rollers and tracks along with recent engine rebuild.   And would be less to transport.
I haven't figured out the transport.
I know this is what we need. We plan to go down this weekend and I will contact a company down there to give an estimate.

If I look at it, i know when I see it it's all over.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:10am
The HD6G is the better deal with fresh motor and better track. Check oil level in the transmission and final drives. The HD6G is heavier and better balanced than the HD5G. It is easy to stand an HD5G on the front idlers when carrying a full bucket of wet earth even though the HD5G has a counterweight on the rear.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic