This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC HD4 vs. 653 Power Steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sresites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC HD4 vs. 653 Power Steering
    Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 9:46pm
New to this particular site. Been interested to learn more about AC & its history.
Was looking at the HD4 & 653 power steering setup. Confused with the 653’s lack of power steering clutch levers.
Sponsored Links

orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 8:02am
Power Steering or ""Foot steer" was optionally available at extra cost from the factory on the 650 series machines. 

The 1975 parts manual for the H-4 and HD4 machines - which had been out of production by that time - shows only steering levers - brake control with no hydraulic foot steering option.  

At one point, the Allis Chalmers Industrial Tractor Division released a kit to allow IT dealers or owners to convert a machine from hand levers to (hydraulic foot control). 

With the passage of 50 years it is plausible that on the HD4 (pictured above) that either the dealer or a customer  obtained a conversion kit and installed it or converted it themselves.  The latter is probably a long shot - but could be done.

~ Orangeman

sresites View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sresites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 8:10am
Thank you.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 2:41pm
When I had my HD4 with lever steer and also my HD5G with lever steer , the dang brake position of the HD4 always got my feet confused , also when adding in the decelerator pedal to the problem . As both brakes were next to each other you used your left foot for either brake and right foot for decelerator, then when you forgot or used right foot on brake , you had to use lever to stop and untangle your foot position.   It seemed both hands and feet were always busy when working in some places . 
 HD5G and even my HD5B seemed easier to run . Then I bought the FD5 and least it had 2 decelerators and the foot steer made it easy to use - also the power shift worked a lot better than just the fwd/rev lever as you had speed control also in the power shift .
 Sold the HD4 and kept the HD5G , sold the HD5B and replaces it with skid loader and then the FD5 dozer . 
 My AC 715B TLB had more push power than the HD4 and actually easier to operate than the HD4   

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 27 Feb 2023 at 2:46pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 3:01pm
I have pedal steer on my 655. Leaves hands free for transmission/reverser and bucket control. It was a great idea to utilizes that setup on these machines.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 12:36pm
Curt:  If memory serves the foot steer setup was also available on the Caterpillar 900 series crawler loaders - 931, 933, 941 and 955 machines.  

Am wondering what manufacturer that Allis selected for the hydraulic  cylinders for the foot controls.  It seems like during the 60's and 70's Allis uses a lot of Cessna built controls. 

~ Orangeman 
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by orangeman orangeman wrote:

Power Steering or ""Foot steer" was optionally available at extra cost from the factory on the 650 series machines. 

The 1975 parts manual for the H-4 and HD4 machines - which had been out of production by that time - shows only steering levers - brake control with no hydraulic foot steering option.  

At one point, the Allis Chalmers Industrial Tractor Division released a kit to allow IT dealers or owners to convert a machine from hand levers to (hydraulic foot control). 

With the passage of 50 years it is plausible that on the HD4 (pictured above) that either the dealer or a customer  obtained a conversion kit and installed it or converted it themselves.  The latter is probably a long shot - but could be done.

~ Orangeman

I would like to see what needed changing to swap to pedal steer. I wonder if it was better or not? Thanks, Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
sresites View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sresites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 5:51pm
sresites View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sresites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:05pm
I got hot on the trail looking got an HD4 or 653. But gave it up quickly when I found that parts are slim pickings. And getting this email this morning.

orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 7:53pm
Looks to be the standard reply from any of the Berco suppliers.  ~ Orangeman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic