This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC FP40-24 forklift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC FP40-24 forklift
    Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 5:07pm
Hi folks,
Nice forum, been searching through it, I’m a new member, and have a new to me AC FP40-24 forklift with issues I’m working on. Tough start and no idle.

All I can find online is the reprints of the parts manual for ~$50, but no service manual. I can find FP40 service manuals for $85-100. Does anyone know if this is the same machine? I just cleaned up the points, cap, rotor, but need the service manual to troubleshoot the LP fuel system, as this is where I think the problem is. Any help is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 9:27pm
Welcome to the forum! The AC FP-24 is a great little forklift, I've had two of them myself. Any running issues with them was minimal pertaining to the LP system, however, I've had several Clarks and one in particular with LP challenges. There are of course several manufacturers of propane components and some give lots of trouble. What I had to do, and recommend you do, is follow the lines of the system and check the function of each part. I would normally disassemble each propane component and thoroughly clean every part and passage while getting insight as to what each part is meant to do some from vacuum and some from pressure. If a forklift on propane has been parked for any extended time there are valves, plungers, needles, diaphragms etc that don't work the way they should as there is moisture plus corroding pot metal or aluminum that flakes. I spent a lot of hours sometimes before being successful. I never had a manual of any kind and back then consulting YouTube or forums weren't even the thing to do.
Slow starting is common with a propane cold start, repeat starts should be very easy. Poor or no idling is telltale of restricted fuel supply. You're obviously mechanically inclined... just take your time, not every solution comes quickly.
One thing I used to do was hook up compressed air, at the point where propane is otherwise meant to enter the fuel system, while trouble shooting flow restriction instead of having propane flowing all around. Propane is heavy and goes to the floor and you can't afford the risk of it reaching a spark or pilot light anywhere.
Good luck on your repair - Eric
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
BigBore View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 6:34am
Thanks for the info Eric. I’m gonna tinker some more with it today. It’s just that the service manuals on all my equipment save me so much time with respect to learning how a system works, and ultimately repairing it. Do you know what the difference between a FP40 Forklift and a FP40-24 forklift is?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:10pm
I'm just taking  a guess here but I suspect it could mean a 24' lift capacity.  I have an AC 621 which lifts 21'.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 10:41am
I'd guess 24 inch wide  spacing between the uprights...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 10:59am
Originally posted by BigBore BigBore wrote:

Thanks for the info Eric. I’m gonna tinker some more with it today. It’s just that the service manuals on all my equipment save me so much time with respect to learning how a system works, and ultimately repairing it. Do you know what the difference between a FP40 Forklift and a FP40-24 forklift is?

To be honest I don't know if there is a difference unless the latter is a newer model? I only assumed the "24" was referring to the way they rated the lift capacity. If yours has the riveted label still on it there is a diagram and a bit of spec info where it shows 4000 lbs. lift capacity at 24 inches out from the mast. I always assumed that's how they coined up the model number? ...my guess.
The first item on your fuel line is the "lock-off", some are electric and some work on vacuum. As a habit for safety I turn off supply at the tank when I'm done for the day. I had one Clark with the electric style and it would not seal properly in addition to a sluggish regulator (plunger would not return all the way), not only is it unsafe with a leak but you soon come back to an empty propane cylinder. I'm not suggesting this to be a problem for you but taking the time to observe, listen (when all else is silent) and to detect the smell of propane is very important.
As for lift height I assume yours is 16' ? 
John - I never knew a 621 had a 21' lift... that is very high. Time to be careful with a load that high up Shocked 

Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
BigBore View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 3:28pm
Thanks folks for the suggestions folks.

Eric
I’ll have a look at the tag, and take some measurements when I get home. It’s only a two stage lift, and goes up 8ft or so. That’s one of the drawbacks of this unit, I wish it went higher to help me load and unload my garage storage loft that’s at 12ft. I dismantled and cleaned the cap and rotor, points, checked the plugs, it all needs to be replaced. It’s obvious that it has not been maintained in a long time. I found parts online and ordered them. I tested the spark with an inline tester, and the spark is very weak. I figure I’ll start here, and clean the fuel system. Somebody bypassed the electric connections on the lp safety cutout, so the key on opens the lp solenoid, not engine vacuum. I’m assuming the SC broke and someone bypassed it. I’m gonna order a new one, after I do the other work, as if it still runs rough, I’ll replace the vaporizer and solenoid (which is also a filter)

Under the Lp tank mount the first thing the Lp line goes to is what looks like inline filter? Not sure what it is. After that the line goes to the solenoid, vaporizer, etc.

I remove the oil filter in 3 pieces, man was that thing stuck on there. Pulled the trans filter to order a new one too. Interesting that it has a clutch, but has a pump, filter, and in/out oil lines going to the trans. I’m assuming it must clutch hydraulically?

I also found a hydraulic cylinder underneath hooked up to the main steering linkage. It has no power steering, and a real bear to turn if your not moving. After tracing all the lines, I found a small line off the main hydraulic pump(hooked to the crank). The small pressure line is next to the bigger pressure line going to the lift/tilt valve. I’m wondering if there is a priority valve broken in the pump, that is not letting oil flow to the steering cylinder? Hydraulic lift/tilt work fine.

Another problem I found is the V belts are shot. I can’t believe they are still working! Looks like I have to remove the counter weight, and remove the main hydraulic pump to change both belts. Oh boy!

Gonna have to fire up my backhoe to lift that weight off... must be at least 2 tons.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 4:00pm
It sounds like the previous owner sold his homework to you... you'll get there with a bit of time. That clutch pedal is hydraulic and known as "incher pedal", very nice set up with a good forward reverse transmission. If you remove the counter weight for doing your work - before you put it back on, jack that end up, start the engine and steer from side to side a few times... see if the steering gets any better. I never had any such issues so can't speak from experience. 
A dirty filter in the LP line can definitely restrict the fuel so once you replace it you can eliminate that as a possible problem.
Have you checked the level of the hydraulic oil... i really think it will lift a bit higher than 8 feet? If you find the tag it should say the max lift height... 192", 144" or? 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:11pm
re: manual
try going to www.liberatedmanuals.com and search 'allis-chalmers'.There's maybe 50-60 A-C forklift manuals there ! You'll probably get 'lost' looking at all the neat stuff like portable kitchens  as this site host LOTS of milatary manuals.
even if he doesn't has teh exact one, 'close' will really help out. I finally saw HOW the brkaes are supposed to be setup on mine, by reading a similar F-L manual from this site.
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
BigBore View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 2:48pm
Thanks for the tips guys, I’ll be in the garage this weekend, and post any wins or loses I have!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic