This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A-C 917 Power Steering Install Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-C 917 Power Steering Install Question
    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 6:19pm
This is probably something that isn't Essential Critical per the US Dept of Homeland Security but I nee some help.  Today my son and I, maintaining our distance as we went about installing a take-off used factory power steering unit on my 917.  I have included some pictures of our work today, the unit I purchased from an individual had everything I needed and installed much like the printed materials I had found on the internet from various web site.  One item that was not included with the unit I purchased is a wheel steer limiter.  There is a piece of metal (see the pictures of the printed instructions) that appears to fasten to the frame, but the picture in the install manual doesn't look like the front end frame.  Does anyone have a unit like this that you can share a picture of what this stop looks like on the tractor?

The picture below is the steering stop piece that I don't have or where this exactly mounts

Now that I look at this, is this something to prevent the front axle from pivoting to high on the power steering cylinder side of the tractor?

From what I can see, the PS cylinder when retracted limits the amount of turn to the right, but what stops and/or limits the amount of turn to the left as the wheel will contact the cylinder rod and potentially rub on the cylinder rod.

Sorry for the smaller pictures.  Hopefully someone can share some pictures.  If it is easier to send me pictures via text, PM me and I will share my cell phone number

snowman(MI)

Edited by snowman(MI) - 28 Mar 2020 at 6:22pm
1950 WD, 1966 D-10 III, 1961 D-10 II, 1966 D-15 II Gas, A-C Minibike, 917 Hydro Mower, 917 Hydro Blower w/cab, West Michigan "Allis Express"
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 7:11pm
I have a 917-H, but no ps so I cant help you on that one!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 12:53am
That power steering kit was not offered until the mid-90's long after the 917 was built. Around 1993-1994 when the Sovereign became powered with an 18 hp Kohler Command V-twin, the front of the frame and engine cradle were re-designed somewhat. The original power steering for an AC 900 series would have been a slave cylinder setup and is rather rare. The later style power steering will work but you will likely have to fabricate what you need or possibly slightly modify the tractor to utilize the stop.  
10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic