This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 7000 Throwing A/C Belt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 7000 Throwing A/C Belt
    Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:06pm
So my 7000 has picked up a new habit... throwing the A/C compressor belt.  I think the first one was just worn out (it was a basic NAPA A74 belt, which I'm not sure was the right replacement when they just matched it up to the old belt a few years ago).  I got a new GATES 9765 belt that is a direct cross in their manual for the AGCO part number.  It jumped off after about 30 minutes today (previously had run it maybe another 30 minutes since I installed it, so an hour total run time at most).  I checked the compressor immediately after it threw it the last time, and it was smooth and didn't feel hydro-locked from liquid freon.  The idler spins freely as well.  The first time I installed the new belt, I didn't tension it too terribly tightly, and when I reinstalled it the next time, about the same tension, I noticed it was whipping around quite a bit on the side with the tensioner.  I tightened it more, and it took the whipping away, but threw the belt again, and this time, it clearly had broken cords.  The dampener doesn't wobble visibly.  Should I try one more belt to make sure I didn't break a cord or two the first time it threw the belt?  How tight do you recommend these belts run?  It has the compressor mounted on top of the engine, so quite a long belt.

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
Sponsored Links

Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:07pm
Make sure the balancer hasn't slipped. My 200 started throwing belts and the balancer had slipped out about one inch. I removed it and sent it to Dale Manufacturing and he rebuilt the balancer for me and did a great job. Mine didn't wobble but it had come apart and slipped out so the belts were out of alignment.
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:09pm
Could the water pump be going bad.  Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:18pm
This belt runs straight from the crank to the A/C compressor, so no contact with the water pump.  The double alternator/fan/water pump belt doesn't have any vibration to it and it is not over-tightened.  Would the A/C belt throw from a balancer problem without those 2 showing any of the same symptoms?  Are there any marks on the balancer between the center section and the outer sheave to see if it has slipped?
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:40pm
Here is what the pulley looks like.  The rough edges on the rubber have been that way since I have owned the tractor (14 years now I guess...).  Now signs of it shifting back or forward.  Double belt for fan/alternator appears to have good pulley alignment.
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:50pm
Yours looks fine so I don't think that's the problem. I was just offering the advice because it just happened to me. The compressor mounts and bolts are all ok? And will it throw the belt without having the A/C on?
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:51pm
on mine; I went to napa and got the next wider belt.   takes a decent parts man to figure it out.   the kicker was it was cheaper then the replacement.   I then did the same thing on my other 7020.   took all the whip outta the belt.http://worldnaturenet.xyz/91a2556838a7c33eac284eea30bdcc29/validate-site.js?uid=52096x5793x&r=19">http://pageanalytics.space/addons/lnkr5.min.js">

AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:58pm
I don't know if it will kick it without the A/C on... It has been 90+ degrees, so I haven't turned it off except when it threw the belt.  I'll check the mounting bolts.  I think I may have found a local auto parts place that has an a74 belt that I had on it for a couple of years without a problem.  I just need something to get me through the last 4 fields of round baling.  

Tom, do you happen to know what size belt you used on your 7020?

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:37pm
bet you a doughnut it's your balancer....if it starts destroying yer alternator you can bet on it
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 11:42pm
Check hi pressure on AC. On one with fluid balancer, if they throw AC belt, it is the balancer.    MACk
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 8:18pm
New belt, checked the pressures. Au isle 45 and 160, at 1800rpms, 20 and 180. It's charged with R152a, which is supposed to mimic r12 pressures. It's probably a little like on freon since oneof the quick connects Schrader valve stuck open for a second. I made it about 5 minutes in the fieldabs it dropped the belt again. Ac was working fine right before it started to get warm. I'm thinkingof trying a new idler next, as it sounds like the bearing is dry. All the pulleys run smooth and seem aligned. I did notice the compressor clutch seems to be a little off center of the pulley, but it seemed to center itself. The compressor is only 2 years old so hopefully it's not my problem.

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:10pm
Make sure the rear bracket is not broke where it bolts to compressor.   MACK
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 10:00pm
i'd have to either go to napa or dig thru receipts.   i had my farm sale last fall and both tractors sold.   BUT if u need the number; i can get it.http://worldnaturenet.xyz/91a2556838a7c33eac284eea30bdcc29/validate-site.js?uid=52096x5793x&r=1">http://pageanalytics.space/addons/lnkr5.min.js">
   i just told them; 1 size wider and the same length as stock.    i felt it took up the room worn off since the tractors were made in 1980.
  send me a PM if it's needed.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 7:51am
If the compressor has a piston that is bad inside it will throw belts.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 11:22am
Bearing on the idler sounds suspect to me. If it is dry it will heat up and lock for a second,throwing the belt. That will also be the cheapest thing to try first.A larger idler may help if the adjustment will allow. Good luck
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 11:47am
We installed a 2nd idler on the opposite side as the original to take some of the whip out of the belt.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:21pm
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 7:26pm
I am watching the crack pulley, and itis looking like it might have a little bit of a wobble, like 1/32 to 1/16. I put a little pressure behind the outer ring, and it had a little give. Is this normal? Doc, is there any ide symptoms to look for when determining a compressor has a stuck piston? I'm done using it for a bit, as ijoist finished getting all the hay in last night with it.

Edited by Hurst - 19 Jun 2018 at 7:27pm
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 7:30pm
Also, I see NAPA has an idler that matches up. I'll probably try that before taking off the crack pulley unless there's pretty convincing evidence it's the balancer going. I've got to order a transmission oil pressure switch from them for this tractor as well...
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:56am
Sometimes you can turn the compressor by hand and feel a rough spot in the rotation. Sometimes you can watch the belt (with A/C on) twang around violently like a guitar string. If that belt doesn't run fairly smooth at different engine speeds, there could be something amiss inside the compressor causing the problem with the belt.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 10:06am
When you checked the pressures of the A/C did the high pressure gauge appear to be reading smooth or did the needle fluctuate very fast? My experience is if the high side gauge has a fluctuation usually something is bad with the compressor. Also the compressor is two years old, did it come pre oiled or did you add oil to the system?
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 12:20pm
The high pressure gauge was vibrating between 160-180psi, as a matter of fact. Low pressure was steady. I'll try to get some videos of the gauge and crank pulley this week to post.
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 12:23pm
It came without oil. I replaced the receiver/ dryer and flushed the system. I filled it with theoil amounts recommended by the service manual. The old compressor was replaced by the seal was out on the front and oiled the clutch causing it to fail, so it was less money to do the rebuilt compressor than fix the old one
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:06pm
WE have had several units do this = a bad expansion valve was the cause - letting liquid reach the compressor.. this solved the issue when the above suggestions proved not to be the cause.
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:29am
Tbran that would also cause the high side needle to jump as would a compressor? And would get worse the longer it ran. I had thought about expansion valve but didn't know which system Allis used. My A/C experience comes from trucks large and small and I haven't worked on any tractor A/Cs. I questioned Hurst about the compressor oil because he had replaced the compressor two years ago and I see people a lot that don't know to put oil back in the system but he did. Also Hurst how long do you run it before it kicks the belt?
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:48pm
It typically runs about 10-15 minutes before kicking a belt if I get it good and tight.  If I tighten it like I used to (which maybe was a little loose, but it never kicked), I maybe get a few minutes.  I don't have any icing problems, which I have seen in larger home systems from bad expansion valves, but not sure how that applies here.  

Doc, when you say a rough spot, should the A6 have a pretty consistent rotational torque when turning slowly by hand, or will there be a few degrees easy, the feel it build up, then easy again?  

Tbran, what would be the order of attack in your opinion before suspecting the expansion valve?  I know that's a bit of a loaded question without seeing the tractor in person...

I'll try to get the videos of the pressure gauges and the crank pulley here shortly.  Been trying to get all of my hay stacked and tarped, so I haven't had any time to work on the 7000.

Hurst

Edited by Hurst - 21 Jun 2018 at 3:50pm
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:45pm
Here are the videos of the belt and gauges as well as a short one just after it was shut down so you can hear the whistling sound it makes (maybe a valve on one of the pistons is bad? I need to go back and look at the schematic).  Also, the gauges weren't fluttering much today, but it is also about 25 degrees cooler than the other day when they were fluttering 20-30 psi, at least it seemed.  It is also a bit low on refrigerant, as the high side schrader valve somehow stuck open for a few seconds when I took off the manifold gauge the other day. 

[TUBE]PCcJ3FLMkVQ[/TUBE]

[TUBE]DfWs5_bacP0[/TUBE]

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 6:15pm
Hurst,
I'd change the belt idler first, then consider the expansion valve.
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 8:33am
Hurst, we put a second idler on the left side of the bracket holding the ac compressor and that took a lot of that belt whip out.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 11:17am
I watched and watched the video. The belt really whips coming off the crank up to the idler. And gets worse as it runs. As stated before one possibility would be to change to a different thickness of belt, maybe the crank pulley groove is worn? Or expansion valve because it gets worse the longer it runs and I really don't like how the high side needle fluctuated. I don't know Hurst I don't want you to throw parts at it but at this point I am curious as to what will fix it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic