This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ac 655

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickolaus.orphan@gma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ac 655
    Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 3:02pm
I recently purchased a 655 loader.   With what I thought was a bad final drive bearing.   Upon further inspection it appears the final drive housing has is cracked.    I read about a steel sleeve repair.    Does anyone have any details on that repair?     Also the gear that drives the bull gear is damaged. What is that gear called?   I have the parts manual, it would be great if someone could direct me to the page that gear is on.     Thanks.    
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 4:11pm
Finding parts is a problem on some older machines ,especially when they were not heavy construction but kind of utility machines .
HD4 , 653 , 655 , use the same outer case (unsure if H3 uses same case), and also similar axle configuration of inboard and outboard bearing holding axle and sprocket bolting to axle flange , single seal in case to seal axle shaft with NO OUTBOARD carrier bearing to take load to truck frame . 
 Finding that drive gear that mounts to steering clutch and runs power to the bull gear is going to be a long search to find a good one as well as one that isn't at a cost higher than you may have paid for machine . I had found a new bull gear and that output shaft gear new but the dealer who had it was asking over $2,000 for the pair .
  I did find another dealer who had used parts and was able to work out a fair price but that was many years back . Both those dealers are long closed . Same with MINNPAR that was the New parts supplier for AC Industrial line of equipment , they now are under a different name and moved location also .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
nickolaus.orphan@gma View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickolaus.orphan@gma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 5:41pm
Did you have success or longevity with the repair sleeve? I found a machine shop that will do it.   I am going to remove the final drive housing this weekend. I also found the pinion shaft.   
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 4:54pm
After repair - ran machine for several years , but had axle problems and rather than getting welded up axles used speedy sleeve and new seals to control oil seepage . 
 My FD5 with the case repair is going on 20 years of use and no problems 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic