This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 426 Power Directer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKarpel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 426 Power Directer
    Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 4:54pm
What would have to be done to make a power directer hold up pulling 9500 hot farm. We can run a P pump, 466ci with a water to air intercooler at 3000 RPM or  just water injection at 3250 Rpm. Will have to get a sfi clutch and flywheel built. Do the power director input shaft twist like stock D21? Does the floor high low  shift good under a load. I have heard of straight  shafting that but dont know anything about that. Can the transmission gears be chaged to get faster?

Edited by BKarpel - 03 Aug 2013 at 4:56pm
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 6:23pm

Where I come from, the class is identical and is allowed a 3" x 3" slotted (Precision brand) turbocharger. All the best ones are making 1,000 HP or a little better. They are running 20.8 x 38 rear tires and in a gear that is faster than a 7040 PD roadgear.  The best PD clutch AC made was in a late-model 7580 4WD. It had 5 discs in low side and 3 discs in high side. I believe that it could be made to shift on-the-go (with valving changes) and hold the 1,000 HP. I don't believe that you could ever make it last very long with a standing start at 3,000 RPM in a gear faster than 5th (roadgear). That particular wet-clutch design will only stand so many degrees of heat and "bam" it will have warped components on the low-side clutch. it's kind of like wax or solder.....now you see it....now it's melted. Changing to a good multiple-disc dry clutch on a steel flywheel will last long and take the punishment. You'd need to design some sort of an input shaft to connect the flywheel to the high range input shaft in the transmission and then to seal off the clutch cavity from tranny oil. You'd also need a throwout bearing/linkage set-up, or maybe consider going to a Crower style RPM activated clutch. The range transmission gears in a Power Shift tractor are 20% faster than a Power Director tractor, so that would be a good place to start....a Power Shift rear end from a 7045 or 7060 tractor, as they have the fastest gear ratio final drives and range transmission.  Your engine configuration (inj pump, injectors, turbo, camshaft grind, camshaft timing, etc, etc, etc) needs to be tailored to be able to "lug" really well, because you don't have an on-the-go feature.  Get out your check-book and I'll help you spend it !!!!!

BKarpel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKarpel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 7:31pm
Can you explain how the power directer works? We had a 7000 when i was a kid and only rember 2 bottons on the floor( high and low).  Do you know if Jared Nussbaum 7030 Gutless General is running a power directer?  Would a D21 or 210/20 be a better transmission and rear end? Thanks just trying to add color to the class.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 7:50pm
You didn't have a "7000" with two buttons on the floor......you had a 7010 or 7020 or 7030 or 7040 or 7045 or 7050 or 7060 or 7080. I do not know for sure what the Gutless General is....there are many D21's 210's and 220's that get newer sheetmetal grafted on them. They also have more pulling parts available when it comes to trasmission parts versus the 7000's series drivelines.
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 8:50pm
Nussbaum's is the 7030 that was at Gordyville and place second out of a bunch of hard running limited pro stock tractors. I think it's Brad Howell's old driveline from his diesel super stock day's. It is a 7030 driveline, but no way it has the P.D. still in it.
BKarpel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKarpel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 11:12am

How does a power directer work? What would it take to straight shaft one? Do you have any experinece on water injection. Going to run D 21 intake mainfold and inject in cross over pipe.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic