This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 2 row planter gears for corn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 2 row planter gears for corn
    Posted: 10 May 2021 at 9:05pm
Just purchased a rebuilt 2 row AC planter. Not sure if have the right gears for corn population. Its set up for 30 inch rows.Both gears on the seed box and drive wheel are 10 tooth.I am new to this corn and bean planting.. Any info and help on what the gear on the wheel drive should be.Like I said I am new to this..The guy I bought it off of mentioned something about it. He sold it to me as a corn planter but not sure if it is set up to plant corn correctly spaced. Any help be appreciated.. The plates I got are the same as a jd290.
7-24x also have alot more plates with different number of cells.Thank you. Dan
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 4:38am
Pop a couple of pics of the gear set up, and post them here.  Someone should be able to help... Welcome to the forum!Clap
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 4:43am
I think what he is referring to as "gears" are what we called planter plates. Are you talking about the metal (or sometimes plastic) gears that run horizontally on the bottom of the seed box?

If that is what you are talking about, they vary in size depending on the size of the seed corn. Seed companies used to grade seed by size and specify which plate you needed for that size, for proper population and to avoid seed damage.

Edited by WF owner - 11 May 2021 at 4:51am
Dan158 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 6:54am
Dan158 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 6:55am
Both are 10t sprockets..Thank you.Dan
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:10am
Drive a short ways and measure your seed drop spacing.  Not sure what you're planting, how accurate you want to be, what population you're shooting for....But 30,000 seeds per acre on 30 inch rows is just a tad under 6 inches.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:27am
It would probably be cheaper, easier and faster to change plates to a plate with more or less seed spaces.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:48am
14 tooth on the drive axle and 10t on the front with a 24 cell plate = 8" spacing. You need a chart or op man for a 72 series planter. 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:54am
also if in doubt, measure the circumference of the drive /press wheel.  Put seed in and roll the wheel 2 revolutions catching the seed that drop.  Now multiply the circumference X2 and divide by the number of seed you catch.  (two revs makes it more accurate as to count)  This will be your average spacing.  
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
K-Mo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:14am
Maybe this will help.
K-Mo

Dan158 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:34am
Thank you all. Good info and thank you for the chart. Will get out there and give the wheel a spin and see what comes up. Again thank you all. Dan
Dan158 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:02pm
Been on and off the phone with Josh from Schmidt & Sons. Been helping me out here with getting the right gears. At about 5mph a suggestion of a 15T gear should get me around 8 inch spacing.Just waiting for a call back to order couple of those..I am sure I will have more questions. But thank you all. Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic