This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Sign Of Spring??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Sign Of Spring??
    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 6:48pm
I witnessed a large flock of geese heading straight north this afternoon.Can this be at all a forecast of spring like the ground hog ??
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 7:08pm
Tapped maple trees yesterday and gathered sap today. Spring has to be close by!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 7:09pm
I seen a couple of big 'flocks' but they was going more to the west and north
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 7:07am
FREEDGUY, we haven't had winter yet, so how can spring be here?  Hahaha...Not complaining, but it's been very mild up here.  Was 10 this morning, but we haven't seen below 0.  Yet?
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 7:29am
T, the nord daakota boyz havs seen bizlowz seroz to many times alredyy this yar..,...
ans Ii hvs seen sumz t00... 8 dis mornin
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 7:37am
Yeah JC, seen some of the weather patterns hitting WI, and hauling a$$ north to where we don't get it.  Basically, our ground isn't even frozen.  Not much snow.  Local TV said we had the warmest JAN on record.  The amazing thing.....usually you break a record like that, it's, you know, a small amount.  We had the warmest Jan by 8.3 degrees!
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 8:20am
Geese - not all migrate. Ditto many migratory species.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 10:52am
The geese here never left!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

The geese here never left!

Are you or the Mrs. feeding them LOL!!!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

FREEDGUY, we haven't had winter yet, so how can spring be here?  Hahaha...Not complaining, but it's been very mild up here.  Was 10 this morning, but we haven't seen below 0.  Yet?

You are quite correct, I'll wager the deepest frost this winter is/was 3 inches at best. I hope we don't pay for this in March/April :-(
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 6:57pm
Y'all know that geese fly in V's, right?  Ever notice that one side of the V is longer than the other?

Do ya know why?Wink

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Y'all know that geese fly in V's, right?  Ever notice that one side of the V is longer than the other?

Do ya know why?Wink

Yep,,,I sure do....more geese on that side😀
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 8:57pm
They were headed for one of them fields where a green combine was used!LOL
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Michael V (NM) Michael V (NM) wrote:

Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Do ya know why?Wink

Yep,,,I sure do....more geese on that side😀

I musta told that damn stupid joke, once more than I remembered...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 7:03pm
Best sign of Spring? Some say Spring peepers.......but better still.......road kill skunks. When they show up......Spring has arrived.
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:36am
those geese are in a draft pattern,,,and they are continually changing leaders to save energy when they fly,,,hence one side will almost always be shorter than the other,,,from side to side,,,they can fly for hours like this,,,,the lead is always changing,,,when it gets tired they shift ,,,leader falls back one and new leader take over,,,back and forth around the flock 

just like NASCAR divers drafting saving fuel,,,geese are drafting ,,saving fuel,,where do ya think nascar learned that stuff,,,lol 

ocharry
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:40am
The tradition here of course is the Robins return.  I'm here to say, Robins are idiots when it comes to signaling spring, they are always here too early and get a couple of good snows on them.  Redwing Blackbirds, they're usually spot on!Smile

We are supposed to go below 0 tonight and maybe tomorrow night!  Now that right there is a good sign of spring, that is, winter getting a little worse before it gets better!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 5:06pm

The tradition here of course is the Robins return.  I'm here to say, Robins are idiots when it comes to signaling spring, they are always here too early and get a couple of good snows on them.  Redwing Blackbirds, they're usually spot on!Smile

We are supposed to go below 0 tonight and maybe tomorrow night!  Now that right there is a good sign of spring, that is, winter getting a little worse before it gets better!

I've seen those poor little ba$%^&*s show up in early March with little snow on the ground only to have 8-18 inches ofsnow in late March with single digit temps?? Have been told that Robins don't "fly south",they stay "here" all winter??
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 6:07pm
Neighbor is feeding them!--He combined 320 acre field across the river from us in late Dec,-early Jan. and yes he used some GREEN combines!  LOL!!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 6:08pm
Sure sign of winter here today. Below zero.   Made some deliveries, came home on the interstate. In a 42 mile stretch there were 4 semis jelled up and 1 poor guy with 2 flat tires on his trailer. Tire guy was there, the others were sitting waiting. Felt sorry for all of them. Darn pressure switch was froze up in the well when I got home. I keep a heat light in there and plugged it in a little while ago. Old gal should have water for her filthy darn goats in the AM.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 13 Feb 2020 at 6:12pm
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 6:59pm
I went out to check on the automatic waterer for the moos here... and got close to an old 3 tier wire corn crib and about 30 pheasants were trying to get out of it. What a sight. Was not smart enough to had grabbed my phone when leaving the house.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:05pm

Well,,JC,,you DID go back and give them poor phesants some groceries,,,din'cha,,,????Clap
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 5:23am
It’s been raining and raining here. There are bid puddles in the driveway. I had to go get some things for my mom after work. The puddles were frozen over but broke when I drove through them. I got home Hal’s he or so later and they were already frozen over again. It’s 10 degrees here in the holler this morning.
I saw daffodils popping out last weekend.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:26am
Actually hit "0" here this morning WC is below -4 just a light breeze but 'Biting' cold out.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:23am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

I've seen those poor little ba$%^&*s show up in early March with little snow on the ground only to have 8-18 inches ofsnow in late March with single digit temps?? Have been told that Robins don't "fly south",they stay "here" all winter??
Well, I've never seen a robin in the winter, and I've been in MI for 44 of my 53 years.  Don't know where they go, but they aren't around.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:35am
Yesterday, more than 600 robins perched in the trees in the orchard, they kept arriving from the south in groups ranging in size from a few to more than 150 at a time. I hated to go outside because it would spook them to flight, but I had to and it did.
Redwing blackbirds, Tbone95, are NEVER "spot on" around here lol! When they do arrive, locally anywhere from right about now until the middle of March, we know that we've got at least 5 more bouts of brutal snow and cold coming. I don't know how they survivve it. We always keep a couple or more feeder well-stocked all winter.
And we have robins, wrens, bluebirds - not many but sometimes lots - stay through the entire winter.
Right now bright sunshine and 3* above zero (F), but we did have more light snow this morning. I only mention that because the weather-guessers, ALL of them from the weather channel on down to all forms of local media, once again declared "ZERO PERCENT CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION" for today. EDIT: Just looked out, snowing again in the bright sunshine. Reminds me of that scence from "The Princess Bride:" (yes I have a daughter that loved that movie when she was little lol) "You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means."

Edited by TimCNY - 14 Feb 2020 at 8:35am
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 10:35am
Spot on might be an exaggeration!Wink  But they're a helluva lot closer than Robins.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 12:02pm
Been saying for years we get two snows after I see the first Robin. Last few years the redwings got snowed on a couple times as well
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 12:55pm
Absolutely nothing is as exhilarating as the sound of the redwings, and the spring peepers (little frogs, not peeping toms on pogo sticks). To me it's pure intoxication lol, without any downside.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 1:59pm
one thing about March snows in Ohio they don't last long
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic