This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little good clean work today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A little good clean work today
    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 5:58pm
I got to finish switching out the rims on dads 1955 WD45 today. The holes in the 4 rails on the new rims were drilled a little at an off angle. One size bigger drill bit run thru them fixed that. Seven of the eccentric's turned, a little heat on the 8th allowed it to turn. I put those 14.9x28 tires on over 20 years ago and the numbers are still visible on the tread bars. Mexican made tires, they were cheap. The last one we did had a lot of cracking around the name/size on the side of the tire. Usually means they had a hotspot in the tire mould where the name plate was put in any got the tire a little hot. Son owns the tractor today, it was dads favorite tractor especially since the independent mechanic he used put a different governor spring in it. . I turned 71 today, It was a pleasure to do them. I sure miss that work. A lot of the fellows I did tire work for in the 70's, 80's, and 90's are gone now. Several were lucky enough to see their grandsons start farming. Mine wants to start farming, but he wants to use ugly old green equipment. His moms Grandfather was a JD dealer in South west Iowa and a lot of her uncles work for JD as mechanics, I think JD calls them technicians now. A couple are shop formen.
Sponsored Links

festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 6:59pm
congratulations on turning 71!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1   I am right behind you.
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 9:00pm
another congrats... ... I am two years behind you on the 14th.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 10:03pm
Happy Birthday.  Sounded like an enjoyable birthday working on an old family member.  I'm four years behind you, and I don't think I could change tires anymore.  Keep enjoying yourself and playing with the orange.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 7:08am
Tom,
 Happy Birthday! I am two years behind you in Janarary. Changing tires, Well I will leave that to you. I dont even try. A skill I was never good at. Glad you have family still interested in farming. We have lost all of that in our family. Once the land is gone its pretty hard to get back into it! Too many city jobs. I am guilty of that. Had a desk joib for 40 years and helped on the farm when I could.
Hope you have many more enjoyable birthdays!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 10:40am
Happy Birthday Tom I am 4 years ahead of you and was changing tires and putting new tubes in my RC that I sold earlier this year.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 3:20pm
Happy Birthday, Tom.  Glad to hear you're still enjoying honest, hard work.

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 3:33pm
Thanks guys. I have a standing order with the family-- put a case of Mountain Dew pop and 2 -36" tire irons in the casket before they close the lid. Even as out of cond as I am I still enjoy that work. Talked to #2 son a few minutes ago about the bees. He said only 40 of our bee hives got put on the truck to go to California. The rest did not have enough bees in them to make the trip. Hes gonna take the trailer and pick them up tomorrow and start feeding them. I told him to leave them on the trailer this winter as we have several guys wanting hives at their places next spring. The trailer is set up to carry bee hives
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 9:39pm
Happy Birthday! i'm not there yet, but feel like i am. tell the Grandson that if he goes weed green you will leave him outta yer will! lol
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 11:06pm
Tell him Grampa says ORANGE until you're dead, then you don't care.....otherwise you're outta the will, like Shameless says.

Congrats on reaching that simple age.  Now you can get away with all kinds of stuff and just say you don't remember, or "Did I do that?" LOL

I'm 5 months away from 72 and I still change all my tires too.  In fact, this past summer I put all new on the truck AND the car.  The car was the hardest as it has 17's on it and they are low profile.  NOT FUN!!  And only one 16" on the WD45.  Swapped a lot of tires around, but that was all.

Enjoy retirement Tom, you deserve it.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 11:58pm
I'm a year and a month past you and still do tires although I have a MM 670 that I put a radial tire on last spring and it went flat a week later.  It sat around until last week when I took it to the tire shop.  $160 bucks and new tube later, it holds air.  I usually don't have much trouble changing tractor tires but that rim was a real tough one.  I bought a tire machine a few years ago and it makes doing implement tires a piece of cake.
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 7:10am
Glad to see so many of us younger old guys still playing with tires, I still like changing mine but I don't do any for anyone else. I willn't do cars or truck tires because I don't have a way to balance them anymore and lawn mower tires ( always hated them sob ) still young at heart at 70 10 months the body not so much. 

Edited by Kenny L. - 14 Dec 2020 at 7:27am
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 4:04pm
I agree Kenny, those lawn mower tires are a real PITA!!
I missed out on a tire balancer (the bubble type) last night, all because I forgot all about the auction!! Angry  It went for $160 and I would have give $175 anyway.  DANG IT!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 4:10pm
Guys, I went to HF and bought the machine to change lawn mower tires. It ain't near as nice as the professional unit I had at the tire shop. But its better than chasing them all around the shop. I was lucky enough to buy a Coats 1001 electronic balancer at a consignment auction for $25.00, put a $65.00 phase converter on it and it works great. Now it I can just one of these guys to volunteer to use this stuff???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic