This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A bed question?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A bed question?
    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 4:14pm
The wife and I went to the Pittsburgh Home show today. We have been talking about buying one of them there, Sleep Number Beds.  Looked at them, getting a price sent to us, and then decide where/what to do???  BUT they are YERY pricey!!!   Does anyone have one, slept on one, or know any info on them?  Please let me know, before we might spend the money!   Thanks, Dave   P.S.  I can sleep on a concrete floor, done it before, sleep in a chair, sleep anywhere!!! But it might help my back/hip/pain/older age pain/issues/etc. lol
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 4:24pm
We have one, wife had to have it, never set where she wants it, used it past the 90 day trial as she was certain would get to liking it, I still don't. She will not give up on it and now at five years.
old farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 5:04pm
If it has foam in it we had one for several years and we got rid of it because it settled in to low spot that you had fight to get out of bed, plus they hold body heat. We got rid of ours after a couple of years, some of the worst money we ever spent. Price is to high for what you get.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 5:37pm
In-laws have one and they say they like it. They say they got it so they could both be comfortable. I think it's so they can bicker about whose side is to high and whose is to low. Don't know why it matters whose is to high or low when you get your own side but I guess it's something to bicker about
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 6:21pm
Had one and sold it. One night it would be the most comfortable bed in the world and the next night you'd wake up with numb arms and a stiff neck. The wife's side was set firm and my side was set soft and she always felt like she was rolling towards me. There is a hard foam wedgie in the center that is supposed to fix that but doesn't. It acted more like a barrier so you wouldn't invade the other side. If you don't want a sex life, this is the bed for you.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 6:38pm
we have had a tuft & needle mattress for over two years. bad back sleep great. no issues so far.
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 7:08pm
I like mine until my wife gets up then we have a hole in the middle I tend to roll into. I wouldn't spend the money again.
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 7:14pm
We have had one for 20 years and sometimes would agree with AllisFreak,about to hard and my shoulders hurt in the morning. May not be the bed but have much less back pain Wink maybe just smarter than thinking I can move things by myself. 

My side has a very small leak now, so the boss may want something different. I think in the line from pump or the valve. So just another job to pump it up every night or 2. But some one always pumps it up when she puts fresh sheets on,say it is easier. I also think she pumps it up cause she thinks I snore less with it hard. 

If you get one and want to be cheap Wink build your own platform to put it on there little pieces of plastic are not anything special. They just fit in a box and snap together, never given a problem.But could use plywood and do it yourself for what the support platform cost,if my memory is correct and save a lot.

The center canyon is the biggest complaint.

For a cheap test you could try one of the instant beds that pumps up. There is one for the grandkids here that has a pump built in to put up and take it back down. The seven and five year old get grampa on it to wrestle when they spend the night. This one was less than 50 bucks, did not last real long. But to try the idea out it seem close to the expensive one  and when the kids use it for a trampoline.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 7:42pm
I built a bed frame about 16 inches tall with a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood on the top.. We bought a "FIRM" mattress 20 years ago to help with back and neck pains... It wore out and we just bought another.. Found it at Menards for about $750. Queen size... also bought a BIG foam pillow as I though the old one was letting my head droop down and cause some neck pains... GREAT Now.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 7:55pm
Have never used one. If the wife and I were to go check one out we would have to take our black lab so we could her opinion. We both like an extra firm mattress so we don't have a problem agreeing on what to get. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 7:24am
My wife bought one when she was pregnant kept it for more than the 90 days they let you bring it back I hated it from day one. once she had Rachaele  she finally agreed its was crap. it was ok if she wasn't in it, and I put some air in her side. when she got out of bed there was a human sized hole 6" deep. she kept saying it was to hard and lowering it till it had no air in it. it still in a box out in the barn. I put it back together this winter and we used it for 2 weeks.  the water bed sprung a leak and we had to wait for a new mattress. same experience it was awfull. A blow up air mattress is better.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 04 Mar 2019 at 7:26am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 7:37am
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

Have never used one. If the wife and I were to go check one out we would have to take our black lab so we could her opinion. We both like an extra firm mattress so we don't have a problem agreeing on what to get. 
Hahaha, and we have a blond lab to go with the black lab! Hahaha....We had one of those beds for several years.  I liked it at first.  So did the wife.  When we got the bed, our dog at the time did not sleep with us.  Now the 2 eggheads we have do sleep with us.  So, set your "sleep number", then add between 80 and 170 pounds of lab in varying degrees to your adjustment, and it will change.  Numerous times throughout the night.  Love those big lummoxes though, so....

But the bed itself.....after a couple of nice years, it developed a mind of it's own.  A leak down I could understand, but it would also inflate itself.  I never caught the compressor running, it was pretty quiet though.  But you'd go to bed one night, and holy crap the bed would be hard.  So we had to adjust all the time.  Then the remote wouldn't display the number anymore, so you just played with it until it felt OK.  Wife's side developed a leak.

Valentine's night this year (of all the irony!)  we walked in to go to bed, BOTH sides dead flat.  WTF???  Too late to mess with it much, but changed the batteries, messed around with it a bit, no change.  Wife slept on the couch with the dogs, I camped out in my son's room.  Following day after work, I took a closer look.  About burned my hands on the compressor it was so hot!  Dang!!!  Disconnected the hoses, blew it up with my god given "compressors", and plugged the hoses with an old spark plug.   Had to puff up the wife's side every night. ....

......got our new bed delivered Friday.  It was not a sleep number!
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 7:43am
We got a sleep number bed about six years ago and really like it wouldn't want to go back,
after about the first six months my sore back trouble is nearly gone.
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 10:06am
Have had a Select Comfort with the two air bladders for nearly 20 years and love it.
Anybody else noticed the price of even "regular mattresses" the last 10 - 15 years?
WOW! Talk about a product that has been built up by hype, and for what?

Then again, we are currently being saturated with Jeff Foxworthy commercials for his "exclusive home furniture line"with Nebraska Furniture here.
As I tell my son and daughter who are both in their early 20's; if they say it enough, it becomes true.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 1:31pm
My wife has acid reflux and we have had one for ten years, ours is the King that is made up of two single beds, she sleeps with head raised and I sleep flat wouldn't trade it for anything else. There is a foam layer in the top compartment that can be turn over or around all you do is unzip the compartment and rotate the foam to get rid of the low spot.
derek_sh View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derek_sh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 4:34am
Just to add my personal experience, my wife kinda liked it but I hate it. Primary reason that I dislike it is the wife has a much lower firmness setting that my side tends to slope towards her side. This is very uncomfortable and actually painful to the back after a time. Second reason is that I can feel the very slight crossways arc of the bladder, which is inherent. Also it's noisy - making vinyl/rubber noises when getting in and out of bed or changing sleep positions. 

So we got a different and cheaper mattress for our bad backs in the result. 

Edited by derek_sh - 19 Mar 2019 at 1:19am
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 7:14am
Originally posted by derek_sh derek_sh wrote:

Just to add my personal experience, my wife kinda liked it but I hate it. Primary reason that I dislike it is the wife has a much lower firmness setting that my side tends to slope towards her side. This is very uncomfortable and actually painful to the back after a time. Second reason is that I can feel the very slight crossways arc of the bladder, which is inherent. Also it's noisy - making vinyl/rubber noises when getting in and out of bed or changing sleep positions. 

So we got a different mattress for our bad backs in the result. 

Wonder what kind of a bed you had?  On our sleep number the sides are completely separate and the pressure on one side has no effect on the other never had any of the issues you describe.  

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
derek_sh View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derek_sh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

Originally posted by derek_sh derek_sh wrote:

So we got a different mattress for our bad backs in the result. 

Wonder what kind of a bed you had?  On our sleep number the sides are completely separate and the pressure on one side has no effect on the other never had any of the issues you describe.  

We had i10 bed. Maybe it's just me (or the particular model), but since I have serious issues with sleeping, it was the reason why we've decided to try something else instead. 
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 11:39pm
We have a queen it has two seperate air bladders with a foam divider strip between them. When the wife's side is very low she let hers down to 10 her side of the bed is a big hole and mine is a hill. In the king size you could get the two singles that would flex independently. My wife sleeps angled across the bed and usually ends up pushing me to the edge.
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 1:27am
We've had one 20 or so years and am glad I bought it.
My back is so touchy we carry an air mattress in the car trunk to use when we stay at a motel to put on one of the beds for me. Those motel beds are like sleeping on a pool table.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 2:23am
Biggest waste of expensive bed the wife & I ever bought. Never could get it set comfortable. Woke up with numb arms or too hot and always rolling into each other. We recycled it though. It’s heavy plastic box support is now under a regular king mattress. It’s 2 twin air mattresses became our tent camping sleep beds. Great alternative to sleeping on hard-rocky ground. Their 1/2” air plugs make inflate/deflate easy & fast. Once deflated, they roll-up for compact storage in van.
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 7:51pm
Had one, tried for 7 years to like it.. so I'm slow... had enough of the damn thing and tossed it.  Hot, uncomfortable, could never get the number set just right.  Woke up in the canyon every morning which made the back pain worse, had to use a rope to get out of the damn thing.  Never again, too expensive for such a piece of manure.  The center foam piece, waste.  We have a Tempur Pedic, another expense bed, way too expensive but, I wake up every morning with no back/neck pain.  Have to crawl out of the body canyon from sinking into the foam but so worth it.  Once we get settled/arranged at night, I rarely move, it is soo comfortable.  Sleep number, hell no, never again.
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 8:43pm
After reading all your thoughts I must say I really enjoy the waterbed I've have for over 20 years.  Think the mattress cost a bit over $100 back in the 90's.  Has baffles and foam in it so there isn't much noise when you move, at least if you are the only occupant.  I just spent three days on a hotel mattress and sure was glad to get home to mine.  It has a heater which keeps me warm on a cold night.  In the summer I turn down the heater and it is pleasant to sleep on it then too.

The first waterbed I had was basically a big plastic bag.  It was given to me after I filled it up with water out in a wheat field, (I drove a water truck at the time), and drove a little Sato tractor onto it so a photographer could take pictures of it showing how tough it was.

I watched a conventional mattress be built once, sure doesn't look like all the material and labor add up to more then a couple hundred bucks.  Must be a big profit margin in them when you consider how many outfits sell them.

Edited by JohnCO - 07 Mar 2019 at 8:52pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 11:00pm

We have a sleep number bed and it's great. When we got married, my wife had one of those temperpedic beds and that was an instrument of torture to me. I hurt so much in the morning I was afraid to move. I had a water bed before with a semi waveless mattress in it prior. She didn't like it so the sleep number was the best compromise. We upgraded to the individually adjustable bed and we like it. I don't like the gap in the middle, otherwise it's almost as good as the waterbed was.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 12:18am
I wish i'd never got rid of my water bed, it was the old style, no baffles. sure helped my back a lot! the heat plus the rolling movement kept my back from hurting. have tried 6 different matresses since then, none of them will allow me to sleep on them, and my back hurts so bad I can't hardly get off them. even tried the ones in our camper and motorhome. have to be completely exhausted in order to sleep for a short time on any of them. tried the foam ones and they weren't much better. we went to buy a new recliner a couple years ago now, and they showed me a lift chair, we ended up buying the lift chair and that has been my bed for the past 2 years. sleep extremely well in it every night/day. think we'll buy another for the old lady....oooops… I mean the loving wife!
Jasmyerine View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasmyerine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 4:29pm
Actually, the thing I’ll say may sound different, but you just have to decide for yourself. You know, once my back began to hurt, I decided to change my mattress. And the best thing I did then was to talk to the orthopedist. I have one in my contacts. So, I talked with him, and he advised me to pay attention to my lifestyle. And, you know, then I did no exercises. I just worked all day long and ate mostly junk food because I had no time to prepare smth healthy. Then I read this article https://bedselection.co.uk/how-to-choose-your-perfect-mattress/ which eventually led me to buy the mattress. I bought the memory foam one, and I have no regrets about it. But, I also started going in for sports and eating healthy food. Now I have no pain neither in my back nor in my neck. So, it’s all about the lifestyle. Btw, talk to your orthopedist.

Edited by Jasmyerine - 12 Jul 2022 at 4:30pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 4:58pm
We have had a Sleep Number KING since 2001, Has been great for Wife, but with my back it has been a blessing, for those nights I enrage something I can jack pressure up or down to find a sweet spot, when fell and broke the ribs SOFTER was such a good thing.  Otherwise I jack it up around 75/80 and like it there.  Have replaced the top Once, will likely have to again in a couple years but the air bed parts are all still hanging in there.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 5:53pm
We've had a sleep number for 20 years, we like it, we'll get another one if this one needs replacing.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 7:17pm
We have the Sleep Number King size, we both like it. My side set at 60-65, wife at 40. I am a toss and turn sleeper, wife not so much. Hasn’t changed our sex lives.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 8:24pm
last time i was in the hospital, i wanted to buy the bed i was in Fremont NE that sells beds sorta like them, and rather inexpensive! i'll prolly go buy one, has a remote that allows you to change positions at anytime.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic