This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

816B Hoe brake leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 816B Hoe brake leak
    Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 8:03pm
Hello

I have an 816B Allis Chalmers hoe and it is leaking brake fluid out of the Power assist unit threaded hole. The power assist unit mounts right onto the Master Cylinder on this machine. I am not sure of the purpose of this hole and I am looking for advise...it could have had a plug in it (very small- about a #10 screw thread) or it could be a weep hole indicating the seal has failed between the power assist unit and the mater cylinder. I found the same set up online below with the threaded hole marked off in red...Any help would be appreciated as I have all the manuals for the machine but there is not much detail in them...also it would be god to know the difference between an 816 and a 816B

Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 10:32am
https://www.minnpar.com/product.aspx?partnbr=73013886&stocknbr=73013886&productcode=550000

So is it hyd fluid or brake fluid -  it seems that would be a check site for which cylinder is leaking and which needs rebuilding 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Rob P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 8:49pm
Although that threaded hole is on the Power Assist unit, its leaking brake fluid and draining the brake master cylinder. It also might be a bleeder screw that was in there...Im hoping that someone with the same setup and take a look to see if there is any fitting in the treaded hole or if its just empty- if its empty, then I will assume it is only supposed to leak if there is a seal gone between the master cylinder and the power assist...
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 3:35pm
You should be able to find rebuild kit for the cylinder , either parts or kit , 
A auto parts store should be able to match parts for cylinder 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Rob P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 4:41pm
Roger that...I will take it off and get the part no. off it. By the way, what viscosity of oil do you use for the summer...I see the manual calls for 15W oil in winter and 20W in summer.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 9:40am
You can use a AW 32 hyd oil - 10/30 motor oil - or ? whatever you find on sale when .
Many of the new hyd oils have anti-wear / anti-foam formulas which the old straight weight oils did not have 
  Years back a friend was a millwright in a large mfg company and they used ATF in most of their machine tools - CNC , Lathes , Multi spindle drills , mills .
 Once a year they changed all fluids in all machines - He supplied me with several 55 gal drums of used oil which I used in dump truck hoists , loader hydraulics and hoe hyd systems . Had it filtered after setting for a couple months to settle but the oil was clean and there was little or no contaminants settled out in oil drums 
JMB111333 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMB111333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 11:00am
I had the same exact problem on my 816B. I would recommend getting the rebuild kits from Minn-Par for both the master cylinder and power cylinder and changing out both at the same time. What was leaking on mine was the orange gasket in the power cylinder. Of course now my brake cylinder in the brake drum is leaking but such is life!
Rob P View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 11:55am
I ended up taking off the brake cylinder off the power assist and found the cylinder piston and o rings in bad shape. I identified the brake cylinder numbers and bought the whole cylinder off Amazon. Its working find now...but I of course found out that I have one brake actuator leaking ...at that job looks like a nightmare in the manual. So I unseized my ebrake cable and use that to stop me as I only use it on level ground for now. I have all the manuals, btw, if you need one, I can send it to you by email...
JMB111333 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMB111333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 4:12pm
I think I have the same problem. Is what you have leaking the piston between the brake shoes that pushes the brake shoes out into brake drum? I thank you for the offer but I have hard copies and digital copies of both the service manual and parts manuals. I hope to talk to my local AGCO dealer about the possibility of getting a new brake cylinder or possibly getting one off Minn-Par.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 4:13pm
NAPA should have rebuild kit for the Wagner Lockheed units.  If not consider over boring and installing a stainless steel sleeve back to size and refit new seals. ~ Orangeman
JMB111333 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMB111333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 6:20pm
Are you referring to the brake cylinders when you say Wagner Lockheed units? The cylinder that pushes the brake shoes onto the brake drum?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic