This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8050 ps, darn spring only lasted 40 years

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8050 ps, darn spring only lasted 40 years
    Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 6:16pm
   Got the 2wd ps 8050 out the other day to do some brushhogging, backed it out of the shed but when I went from reverse to forward the ps lever felt limp. No detents, felt like a throttle cable but tractor would move in every gear if I held it in the right spot. Dad bought this tractor new in 83. Now 6500 hours, not one trans or rear end issue, ever. Pulled it in the shop, pumped the fuel tank out, which I had just topped off, and pulled the control valve off the trans, which had never been off and had to be pried off with a bit off force. 
     First off, the oil splash shield had broken and fell against the clutch pack, it stayed in the trans when I took the control valve off. One end, the screws backed out and the other end broke. I found the 2 screws inside the screen inspection plate. Thankfully they didn't get caught in a gear on their way down there. It's hard to say how long the shield had been broke but is has deep wear marks from rubbing against the clutch pack. That in itself could have been a catastrophe. This tractor has the earlier style detent spring, which broke right where it goes into the detent rod.    
     So it is a cheep fix and it couldn't have happened a at better time. It is my corn planting tractor and I just put the planter away a week earlier. Shield and all other parts, gaskets and seals were available through Agco. BTW, I put a bar under the clutch pack to check for play, feels fine. Good for another 6000 hours. I hope
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Sponsored Links

JPG AUSTRALIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 7:16pm
Well done ,good job.👍
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic