This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7400 Remington

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell G (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7400 Remington
    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:28am
I have a 7400 Remington 270 rifle and I have had a number of people look at it and all are stumped.  It will fire a round or two and then it won't eject the shell from the chamber. I have cleaned and cleaned on it and there is no sign of carbon build up and it continues to not eject a shell, Do any of you have any advice or have you had a similar problem, I am stumped. 
Sponsored Links

injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 1:52pm
First thing I would try is different ammo. Just went through some issues with a .45 pistol I bought. Pretty sure it ended up being my issue.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 2:55pm
Had a 742( basically same thing) that did the same. I took it apart and the slides were slightly bent/bowed. I straightened them in a vise. I polished and oiled everything and it works perfect and has for over 20 years.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:32pm
Remington semi automatic rifles were known to jam. A good gunsmith can help. Or if you like a semi automatic rifle get a Browning BAR they never fail!
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:37pm
Darrell, Does the extractor grab the rim? Is it stripping off brass?Is the chamber rough? Are the cartridges dirty? If it ejects the first couple well, I wonder if the gas port is dirty? Thanks Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

Remington semi automatic rifles were known to jam. A good gunsmith can help. Or if you like a semi automatic rifle get a Browning BAR they never fail!

WWII joke, three Nazis walk into a BAR
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Had a 742( basically same thing) that did the same. I took it apart and the slides were slightly bent/bowed. I straightened them in a vise. I polished and oiled everything and it works perfect and has for over 20 years.

I just reread your post. My problem was a feeding problem not a ejection problem.
Have you tried different ammo?
Take a very good look at the extractor.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:15pm
thehendrjx, my dad told me about carrying a BAR and when I first watched Saving Private Ryan and the scene where the Sergeant asked the BAR man where his weapon is and the man replied at the bottom of the channel it liked to have drowned me! I thought of my dad and his comments about the BAR! The new BAR is a lot lighter but for shame it does not fire fully automatic!

Edited by klinemar - 14 Feb 2020 at 8:18pm
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:53pm
I had one that jam also. I traded it off, then heard later that sometimes switching magazines would make a huge difference. Dont know if it would help your problem, but might be worth a shot?
Darrell G (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell G (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 10:12pm
I've had it to 3 so called gun smiths and checked the chamber, no rough spots, use Remington 279 ammo use a 270 clip and have changed clips, Thad I am wondering what tracks you are referring to, it seems as though it is not getting a good grip on the brass and not bringing it out.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 1:21am
So more detail needed.

Does the action open, but not withdraw the spent cartridge... or...

Does the action stay closed, and require assistance to withdraw...

Or does the action open, and withdraw the cartridge part way, then stop,

or does the action open, withdraw the cartridge all the way, but not spit it out?
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 5:45am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

So more detail needed.

Does the action open, but not withdraw the spent cartridge... or...

Does the action stay closed, and require assistance to withdraw...

Or does the action open, and withdraw the cartridge part way, then stop,

or does the action open, withdraw the cartridge all the way, but not spit it out?

Yes this question needs answered before we proceed.
Mine would eject but never feed the new shell all the way back in. I cycled slow. I also tried different magazines a 3006 mag is identical to a 270.
When you take the fore grip off there are 2 flat slides, one on each side. They were slightly bowed out and rubbing.
You can find schematics on line.
The older ones were finicky about feeding and never would cycle 270 and that’s whet the 280 was designed for.
The 7400 were supposed to be better.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 5:50am
Try this otherwise google Remington 7400 schematics. Brownells has the schematics and some parts. https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/schematics/rem-7400.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 7:22am
Orifice for the gas action is too small, Remington should take it and test fire it to fix it. BIL had a 7400 did same, gunsmith went thru it found nothing sent to Remington and now ejects Any and All munitions fed to it, their notes was orifice was drilled to small, fixed FREE.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 8:03am
Used to work for a fella that had a 742 bounce around in the club cab of an old Dodge truck, that thing never did jam , couldn't believe it but it never did
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 8:38am
Back around 1977 or 78, I got the bright idea I wanted an auto rifle, and being a Remington guy, bought a 742 in 243. At 100 yards, I could never get it to reliably hit a paper target close enough to sight it in. At 100 yards, a 10 shot group on a piece of cardboard looked more like it had been shot with 00 buckshot.

Took it back, traded it in on a 700 BDL in 6 mm and groups shrunk to an inch or so at 100 yards. Have always considered autos suspect since..........although the 223 the Marines gave my kid to shoot seemed to do pretty well.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 3:51pm
It is a REAL PITA to clean completely and that is what it needs!  To take it down you need a special tool if I remember right.  But they get SO gunked up and YOU THINK they are clean, but aren't.  I remember a lot of stories about them and I have always thought that a semi-auto was the good start to a boat anchor.  Check and see if ANY of those so called gun smiths had the bolt out of it.  I really doubt it because of that special tool and the PITA taking it apart.
Sorry buddy I couldn't give you a better answer, but I feel for ya.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 4:49pm
I went a little crazy with buying rifles, Bought Brownings twice, have one BARII in 30.06 and another in.270, flawless weapons when sighted in and the BOSS system on the .270 makes it a roofing nail driver at 200 yards.

Nothing bad of Semi Auto if kept clean, oiled.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 9:27pm
Talked to my gun nut friend and mentioned your problem with the 742. Jim said change the O rings as they can get cracked and leak gas causing problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic