This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

720 Hyd/Trans Fluid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 720 Hyd/Trans Fluid
    Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 5:25pm
Ok, I've had my 720 for a while and really like it.  Seem to have it running pretty well.  Question on the transmission and/or hydraulic fluid.  There is a plug with dip stick at the back of the tractor under the rear of the seat.  Is this for the transmission fluid or the hydraulic fluid or both?  Can I use universal hydraulic transmission fluid to top it off?  It is low, below the add mark, so want to know what is best.  Thanks, Dave
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 8:55pm
Oh no, I dont have my manual handy, but it takes car transmission fluid. I can get that info tomorrow for you. You should drain and replace the filter if your unsure how long its been in there. Clean trans fluid is essential to keeping the hydro working correctly. Filter is to the right of the seat beside the fender. Will get that info for you in the morning.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 9:51pm
So this is for both the hydraulics and transmission?  What is the filter #?  I have not changed it since I got the tractor, so need to do that now.  Thanks, Dave
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 2:55pm
Some material I've read says to use Dexron transmission fluid.  Does it matter which Dexron, or can I use Dexron III, which was readily available at TSC in the 2 gallon container?  Also, I've read that it takes 5 quarts to fill it.  Then in another place it said 6 quarts.  I've cross matched the current filter I have with Fram PH16.  Do you agree that is correct?  Thanks, Dave
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 8:15am
Dave I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, was working on a 8070 yesterday. Takes approximately 6 quarts of type A , or type F, or Dexron automatic transmission oil. I used the Dexron. As far as the filter, Simplicity 1650954. I’m not sure of the Fram filter. Not a fan of them since a brand new one dropped oil pressure to 15 lbs on a Chevy van we had after an oil change. Scared me to use them.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 8:17am
Yes that runs the hydro and the hydrolics.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 8:18am
Hydraulics, sorry for the misspelling.
Toscani NE SD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toscani NE SD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 8:40am
don't buy the fram, very bad filter
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 10:31am
Is there a difference in various versions of Dexron?  Such as from Dexron to Dexron II to Dexron III?  Will Dexron III be ok?  Also, where is the drain plug.  Took a quick look underneath and didn't readily see it.  Suspect I may have to remove the plate covering the bottom, but wanted to check with those that know, first.  Thanks, Dave
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:22pm
Yes sir, the skid plate must come off. You will see a transmission oil temp sensor with a wire attached to it. Disconnect the wire, and unscrew the sensor, that’s your drain plug. Dexron III should be fine. Should be a red oil. Filter is a little tuff to remove sometimes if someone got it too tight. The Simplicity filter is the correct length and you should not have to remove the fender. Hopefully that’s what is on it. Filler plug/dipstick is behind the seat as you already know.
190xt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 10:09pm
You need to get a service manual there is a small plug on top of the pump you need to remove and fill with fluid to remove all the air in pump a manual give a good explanation on what to do
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 9:42am
napa 1307 on mine just does clear the fender when removeing i have dex iii in mine  i have freind with a 720 that has ran hytran tractor hyd fluid in his transmission for years his has a loader and also uses hyd fluid in that resivor also
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 2:00pm
Thanks, all, for the information and assistance.  Bob, you mention service manual.  Do you mean an operator's manual?  I don't have one of those.  Does it go through an explanation  of removing the small plug on top of the pump and adding fluid?  Could you send a copy of the explanation for my reference?  Thanks, Dave
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 2:09pm
Oh, never mind, I found a repair manual online which seems to walk me through the pump plug priming procedure.
talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 2:15pm
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 2:28pm
Oh, wow, exactly what I need.  Thanks.  Did that come from an operator's manual?  I've not been able to come up with one at the shows, yet.  Dave
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 6:00pm
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 6:50pm
Well, weather turned a little bit nicer, so went with changing the fluid and filter.  Sending unit came out easy and fluid started draining.  Never could get the hose off the elbow, so didn't remove that.  Figured that was just to get the remaining fluid out, so passed on it.    Raised the rear end of the tractor and pretty much got the fluid drained out.  Tilted it to get what I may have missed by not removing the elbow.  Removed and put a new filter on.  Put fluid in.

Now tried to remove the plug from the pump.  Never could get that out.  Took a plug out from back of there.  Hope that was ok.  Put fluid in that hole.  Turned the engine over.  Some fluid spit back.  Guess that was good?

Put it all back together.  Runs and seems ok.  Letting it sit till tomorrow and then will check fluid level to see if enough is in there.

Overall, this was a PITA!!!  Hope I did more good than damage.  Thanks for all of the advise and assistance.  Dave
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:56am
would that be the same for a 920?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic