This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

716H No Spark

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 716H No Spark
    Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:45am
Hello,

I have a Allis Chalmers 716H Tractor that I use for rototilling.

It looks like this:

It wont fire.
Turns over no problems.
I have connected a spark tester light and the light does not light when cracking it over.
I have hooked up a volt meter and have 12v to both sides of the coil and coming out of the coil. I expected to see a voltage increase coming out of the coil when i turned it over. I didn't see any increase. Also a little confused over there being 12v to all 3 coil connections. 

I do not know much about these machines. There is a little black box (1" by 1/2" roughly) wired into the power. There is a metal cylinder thingy wired into the right side of the coil (1" by 1/2").

Is my coil bad?
What can I do to trouble shoot this further?

Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 11:03am
When was the last time it was tuned up? Might just need to be serviced. A set of points and condenser would be a good start...
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Ironman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 11:35am
I did not use it at all last year.
The year before I used it in the spring ran pretty good although I noticed when I turned it off it would still run for a few seconds until it sputtered and dies. Started up would use it turn it off run for a few seconds and die.

Went to move it in the Fall and it would not fire at all. Towed it out back and put a tarp over it. Hooked up a new battery and here i am unable to get it to fire up.

I looked at the points then look clean.

Any way to trouble shooting if its a points or condenser issue?

I'm in Canada where could i find replacement parts?

Ironman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 11:56am
Oh I also noticed that the screw in the top of the coil just spins (the part that the spark plug cable plugs into). There is still power, so it might not effect anything I dunno.

Ironman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Ironman Ironman wrote:

Oh I also noticed that the screw in the top of the coil just spins (the part that the spark plug cable plugs into). There is still power, so it might not effect anything I dunno.

If i pull the spark plug wire out the metal piece with screw comes out with it. I assume its suppose to not do that and probably screw into the plastic it sits on. I still read 12v through it so it must be making contact with what it is suppose to be.

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 2:01pm
If it sat for quite a while, the points just may have a film of oxidation over the top of em'. That will keep current from running through them. Take a can of TV tuner cleaner or Brakekleen, and give the points a little spritz. Then run a rag through them. Then try starting it. Might start right up for ya. You should be able to find parts for it at a small engine shop or even an Auto Parts store locally..
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Ironman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

If it sat for quite a while, the points just may have a film of oxidation over the top of em'. That will keep current from running through them. Take a can of TV tuner cleaner or Brakekleen, and give the points a little spritz. Then run a rag through them. Then try starting it. Might start right up for ya. You should be able to find parts for it at a small engine shop or even an Auto Parts store locally..

Thanks.
So something like this:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-electrical-contact-cleaner-150-g-0381740p.html#.VXXrdPldWXx
or 
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=portable-accessories&product=4408726

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic