This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

712 dies after 20 minutes of hard work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 712 dies after 20 minutes of hard work
    Posted: 13 May 2014 at 10:33pm
Ran fine for a while after purchase other than coil going out. Replaced with another used coil I had to get job done. Then have used it for 2-3 hours in a single run.
Lately however after about 20 minutes it will stutter and die. Trying to restart it will hit about every 3rd for 4th revolution, and might fully run until any load is applied.   But most often it's a no go for about 1 hr.
Spark is still good when it happens and fuel supply to carb is good. Tried with and without the fuel pump.    Carb has been soaked in cleaner, but not actually disassembled and rebuilt. However, I can cover intake, and get wet with fuel.

Compression cold is about 80. When it shut off this evening, I got 40psi. So now I'm thinking a tight valve? How are the valves adjusted on the Kohlers?
Any other suggestions to inspect?
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Sponsored Links

Wendell(OK/TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wendell(OK/TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 10:39am
Neighbors older Kohler was doing similar stuff. Good job on checking hot compression. Need to check the clearance on the valve to lifter spacing, should be a small cover on the side of the engine. The valve adjustment on MOST of the older small engines was to remove the valve and grind a small amount off the end of it to increase the spacing. Dad had a valve grinder that was set up for doing this, apparently takes some practice so you don't get it too short. Good luck
farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 1:59pm

Pull head and look at valves. You'll probably find them carboned up and intake valve sticking! You'll need to remove them, clean, grind if needed, reseat and adjust them.
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 6:12am
Sounds like a valve hangin' up. Might want to try a dose of seafoam in the tank and crankcase and see if will unstick the valve. Other than that, sounds like the engine is okay on specs...
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 10:18am
Well, seafoam did loosen it up. I had fogged engine through carb a while back, and I gave it a healthy dose in the oil. I also loosed up the lash on the valves. Still made it about 45 minutes, and died. IT was late in the evening, and it's the first time I noticed it flaming out the exhaust when trying to restart. So it's a hanging exhaust valve.
Guess the head will come off today.
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 10:49am
assuming this a kohler 301 check the valve lash when it gets hot everything grows if the lash is to tight and it will not close the valves  be sure your coil is internaly resisted
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 11:02am
you do not have to remove the head to adust valves on the kolher just remove tappet cover couple of end wrenches and feeler gauge intake .008-.010   exshaust .017-.019
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 11:07am
Lash was right at spec, so I opened it up a little more to be sure. Yes, it's a K301. It made it 45 minutes of hard work, so it had been plenty hot for a while. I may loosen it up more. It was at .018 and I went to .020
Yes coil is internally resisted, and I have good spark when it dies. But engine spins over too easily, so compression is dropping. 70 cold, and 40 when it dies.

JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 12:58pm
Loosened exhaust valve to .022 Ran fine for 30 minutes, then fell flat on it's face.   Restart only sputted like before. I'll let it set for an hour, and drive it into shop. Gotta be something hanging up. Still had spark by the way.

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 5:09pm
we had a riding mower at our shop last year that would run flawless except when the customer would take it home finnally it would quit after about 20 minets kohler command 15vertical shaft even though customer had changed the fuel filter it would get an air lock in it changed filter and that fixed it also we had a briggs two days ago that would quit because the gas cap vent was pluged
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 5:13pm
Yea, I made sure cap was vented. The give-away was no compression while hot, and flames out the muffler.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic