This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7080 Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7080 Questions
    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 2:05pm
Earlier in the year I acquired a 1975 7080. Runs great, starts quickly, in general a nice tractor. At some point the alternator was replaced with one of the incorrect type and the tachometer wire was left unhooked. The hour meter is stopped at 8,900 hrs. I haven’t used it for much yet but it will be my primary tillage and planting tractor. I always run it below 2,500 RPM.
The pump looks like it has the original safety wires on it, but a note on the valve cover says the valves were done around the 6,000 hr mark.
The guy I bought it from bought it from the original owner who is now in a nursing home with dementia. He didn’t know much history on it as far as any overhauls.

Would it be worth my while to drop the pan and at least roll in new bearings? Or would a full overhaul be better? I’m sure that answer depends on things like how good the compression is, etc. and I haven’t tested that yet. Right now it’s in the shop at the ex-Allis dealer for hydraulic work.
I may be worrying over nothing but really don’t want the 7080/N6 nickname of “Harvey hand grenade” to apply to this 426 if I can fix it before it happens.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 2:11pm
The best $$$$$$$$$$ you can spent is take an oil sample !!!!    If there are bearings that are getting in bad shape, it will tell you so. Oil consumption and blow-by are also an indicator as to what is going on.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 2:31pm
I changed the oil in it about 10 operating hours before I took it to the shop. About how many hours should I run it in the field before taking a sample?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 2:39pm
The more hrs when a sample is taken, the more accurate the results. 100 hrs would be better than 50 hrs and 50 hrs would be better than 10 hrs.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 2:42pm
I’ll admit I don’t know anything about oil sampling. Do you have a preferred place in mind you like to send them?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 3:33pm
I send mine thru my local Caterpillar dealership. I'm sure a Deere/CaseIH/AGCO, etc dealer or your bulk oil supplier may offer something. Expect up to $30 bucks for a good sampling and do it with the oil hot/operating temps. If you take the sample from removing the drain plug, engine has to be hot and let out a gallon and then catch your sample. I have a suction gun and draw oil up thru a plastic tube inserted thru the dipstick hole.

Edited by DrAllis - 01 Dec 2021 at 3:50pm
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 8:26pm
our cat dealer has a little kit that comes with each bottle
Dave974 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 11:00am
Back when I worked at the local Cat dealer, oil samples were sent to Blackstone Labs for analysis. 

If not convenient to work through a heavy equipment dealer, sample kits can also be ordered directly from Blackstone.  https://www.blackstone-labs.com/  They ship free via US Mail.
sho-man1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sho-man1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 11:15am
I have used Blackstone labs for oil sample analysis on my 1999 F250 7.3, 2000 ford Ranger with 3.0 gas and 2012 Kia forte... All samples pulled from the stream at oil pan drain when changing oil. You tell them (vehicle miles) hours, oil type, filter, any additives(lucas oil treatment). They give a report of all the elements in your sample, pretty thorough.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 9:36am
Thanks guys! I’ll just put some hours on and send a sample in next summer. It’s going to be idle for most of the winter.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 9:58am
creston have we seen pictures of it yet
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 1:35pm
Not yet.
My computer is down so I’m doing this from my cell phone. I can’t get the file size down, or rather, don’t know how.
Here is a link that hopefully works:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xZRvxQyqr1uH4ic18

It’s been a western Oklahoma tractor all its life. Always kept outside and the decals faded. Someone painted over the number with a paintbrush and stuck mailbox number stickers where the model number was, and those too have faded away. Plan is to use a cutting compound and some good wax, see if I can get the paint looking better. Then sand off the decals and put new on. I think that alone will help it look better.

Side note…anyone know where to get the triangle decal that goes on the grille screen?

Edited by CrestonM - 03 Dec 2021 at 1:51pm
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 2:18pm
Maple-Hunter has the hood decals, as well as a generic 3-1/4" square AC logo, that fits the grill emblem perfect. I've gotten the AC logo decals from DJ's also, DJS1043A. Maybe they have hood decals too?
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 2:54pm
Thanks, Ed!
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 5:38pm
Sweet machine !Thats what i luv about an enclosed cab , seems windows never opened ,the insides nice !
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 6:15pm
I jus noticed,,NO PRECLEANER!   thats sure different for this part of the world. I even went back to the auction pics jus to make sure I wasn't seeing things.
them other pictures sure were GREEN!.. now I know where all the rain went....pretty ugly around here...

I still think ya got a decent machine for the money..
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 6:35pm
7080's didn't have a pre-cleaner.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 7:50pm
use a 3m decal erasor  and decal and adhisive remover 
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Michael V (NM) Michael V (NM) wrote:

I jus noticed,,NO PRECLEANER!   thats sure different for this part of the world. I even went back to the auction pics jus to make sure I wasn't seeing things.
them other pictures sure were GREEN!.. now I know where all the rain went....pretty ugly around here...

I still think ya got a decent machine for the money..
Yeah, I wish it had a precleaner. Doc says the 7080s didn't have them, and now that I think about it, I've never seen a 7080 with one. Didn't realize that. 
Yeah that photo was in July. We had a really wet summer, so that's why the grass was green. Pretty crisp here, now. 
Thanks! Hopefully by the time I get the steering and remote outlets fixed, it's still a decent deal. 
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 7:49am
What the 7080 has is better than a precleaner IMO. It uses an aspiration air system..... like an L2.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 10:47am
You can tell a 7080 from a distance by lack of precleaner, and the larger aspirator muffler. As mentioned, the aspirator essentially "vacuums" dirt out of the air, and blows it out the exhaust. A very basic explanation anyway lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 12:00pm
I noticed it had a much larger outlet pipe on the muffler. Now I know why! 
I did notice the aspirator when I changed the air filters. Not having been around the 7000 series much, I just thought maybe it was an option for all of them. 

Another question...I don't have a photo, but I'm curious if the engine was swapped out at one point. The serial tag is not riveted in its usual spot, and is instead relocated forward of where it should be, and held on with 2 bolts, going through holes in the tag that are not where they should be. It still says it's a 3750 engine, I don't remember what the number is, but I'm wondering if someone kept the original tag but replaced with a new engine, engine from another 7080, 7580, or a combine? It's a maroon engine and I don't see any traces of paint under it. Are there any casting codes that would tell me anything? The oil pan has 2 drain plugs, one on bottom and one on the side, if that's any help. 

Edited by CrestonM - 04 Dec 2021 at 12:05pm
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 2:15pm
What is the casting number on front lower left side of block? It most likely got a replacement short or long block at some point in it's life, many of them did at the higher rpm, and people would neglect them. The 7080  7580 were both equipped with the aspirated air cleaner and muffler. 

Edited by injpumpEd - 04 Dec 2021 at 2:15pm
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 5:56pm
I jus figured a precleaner was an option,,an thats why it didn't have one, I didn't know that 7080's came without one.

yea,,, its 40+ years old,, lotsa thing coulda happened...

My 7060 doesn't even have a engine tag,,, the rivits are there,, but the tag is gone,,, I figure the block got hot dipped in a zepp tank and it disappeared an not replaced...I'm not worried about it,,, runs good, and I'll never pull it hard anyway.. 
tthams View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tthams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 3:42pm
I am curious Dr. Allis, my 7060 does not have a pre cleaner either. I also thought it was an option on the tractor. You mentioned it was only an option in the 7080 in a previous post.

The rear end is stamped as a 7060. Any idea why a 7060 would come without the pre cleaner? I can't imagine they would swap out a rear end in the tractor. It's a powershift which was not an option on the 7080.

It also has the over sized front tires. Typical of a 7080.

You got me puzzled on the pre cleaner comments.

Thanks

Edited by tthams - 05 Dec 2021 at 4:22pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 5:01pm
Pre-cleaner was an option on 7040/60 as I remember, but it was an option that was always ordered in my area. 7080/7580/8550's all had completely different air cleaner assemblies that had an exhaust powered aspirator that took care of the job of a spin-type pre-cleaner. So, there was no way the typical pre-cleaner would even fit on the tractor with the system they used. 7080 takes a different air filter too compared to a 7060.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 1:30pm
I’ve read that over time, the venturi in an aspirator muffler can break or become ineffective, leading to pressurizing the air filter with exhaust gas instead of creating a suction. Is this very likely? I guess the way to test would be just remove the connecting hose when running and check for suction?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 2:08pm
If the air filter shows signs of soot in it, you've got problems.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 8:40am
Ok, that’s simple enough.
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 8:56am
crk-1 is the part number for the CAT oil sample kit. Runs around 20 bucks
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic