This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7080 Harmonic balancer pulley help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinsonfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7080 Harmonic balancer pulley help
    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 1:05pm
Is there a shim kit for the harmonic balancer pulley fitment on the tapered crankshaft of a allis 7080?   We broke a keys and the pulley was free wheeling a little until we got the tractor back in the shed?  I don't know how much is worn yet till I get it apart. 
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 4:50pm
Nope. I can see a bad nose on the crank and a bad hub. Never ever seen such a failure. Someone must not have had the bolt torqued properly.
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 6:31pm
I have never seen a problem like that either. It's kind of important to have that area correct or it can lead to crank breakage. Now that, I have seen, although rare.
twinsonfarm View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinsonfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 7:03pm
What is the proper way to stop the crank shaft from spinning while I remove the center bolt or torque to spec?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 7:13pm
There's a hole in the bottom of the bellhousing I think you can have a helper shove a big screwdriver up in to catch starter ring gear teeth. The hub you are removing has six 7/16" holes you could install two bolts and stick a prybar thru them. Remove with a good 1/2" impact wrench.
twinsonfarm View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinsonfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 7:28pm
Thank you, Jim
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 7:40pm
About 30yrs ago, I had a 7580 break the oil pump mounting bracket allowing the oil pump to fall down enough to stop turning. Customer was full throttle under load with a chisel plow. Needless to say the red lite came on just before the engine pulled down and locked up. So, resized all the connecting rods and new rod bolts. Align bored the block and installed a new crankshaft. We also did a complete OH and new turbo. When we got the engine back together, it had an awful noise in the timing gears right at 2500 RPM's (right where it runs when working it hard). Run the engine 2700 and the noise was gone and under 2500 the noise was gone. Long story made short, the viscous style vibration damper was bad and this was what failed the oil pump mounting bracket. It also explained why all the A/C compressor brackets were broken and welded along with the alternator brackets. Those viscous dampers were kind of pricey at that time and probably still are, but that cost the Customer a ton of money. The average guy with the radio turned up probably wouldn't have noticed all that extra noise around the front end of the roaring engine while sitting in the cab.
randy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 7:46pm
I put a new viscous ring on the crank pulley a few years ago. $400 or so, but rhe pulley was good. Found a name on the old ring and googled it and found a dealer, not AGCO and got one.
CA WD WD45 D17 D17 Diesel 7060 8050 8070
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 7:55pm
Pretty sure they are Fluidamper
randy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 7:56pm
Vibratech, If i remember correct, is where i got it. 
CA WD WD45 D17 D17 Diesel 7060 8050 8070
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 8:15pm
Vibratech is the parent company of Fluidamper
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 9:58pm
We were losing belts on the "81 N6 (670HI). Our man asked us if the belts were getting twisted or were they snapping in two? They were snapping, so we put on the new harmonic balancer as he said and problem solved. 
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic