This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7040 hydraulic remotes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7040 hydraulic remotes
    Posted: 07 May 2022 at 3:48pm
Hello, I am having trouble with my hydraulic remotes on my 7040. I have changed the hydraulic fluid, replaced filters with AGCO filters, doubled checked the screen on the filter. The 3pt works under a load and the steering, brakes, and pto work fine. However, the remotes seem to not work under a heavy load. I planted with this tractor last spring and it raised and lowered a planter and drill perfectly. The tractor had trouble with my jd 220 disk it would fold it up just not raise it, unless I put the tractor in reverse. This year I got a soil finisher and it will unfold the wings on it and it will raise and lower the entire soil finisher but it will not fold the wings back up. It attempts to fold it but it doesn’t get 6 inches off the ground. I know the cylinders are good on the soil finisher because my Hesston 80-90 folded it up without a problem. I looked in some different forums and it sounds like it could be the spool on the remotes? Didn’t know it that was right or how big of a job it would be to fix it.
Thank you,
Jacob
Sponsored Links

CORLEWFARM View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORLEWFARM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 4:05pm
Check remote pressure. The reason the disk raised in reverse is because of the angle of the wheels in reverse you are helping it raise.
Wes (VA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes (VA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 4:05pm
Are you able to pull the hydraulic levers back far enough to get to the detent position? If not, cables could need adjustment/replaced. Before replacing those though, did the knobs under the seat get adjusted accidentally? Turn counterclockwise to increase flow at the remotes.
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 4:27pm
Worn remote couplers or hose ends (Tips)
JakeW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 6:46pm
I’m going to test the pressure as soon as I get the gauges. The levers seem to go all the way and I tried the flow controller and it didn’t seem to effect it. The hose couplings seem to be in good shape. Another issue it seems to have is when the tractor is running, the hydraulic fluid is only in the top sight glass circling around and the bottom is empty, when I shut the tractor off and let it sit for 15 min like it says to do, it seems to be good on hydraulic fluid. I didn’t know if it was supposed to do that, it seemed odd to me.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 7:47pm
I'm going to tell you what's wrong and you won't believe it until you do what I say. Your disc needs to be GREASED/OILED where the axle tubes pivot. I saw this once before in 1984 with a 7020 tractor.  Customer insisted the hydraulics on the tractor were junk and not near as good as his old One-Seventy. The 7020 would raise the disc, just not 100% clear up. I checked pressures and they were fine and within specs. I told him to back that old One-Seventy next to the disc and show me how good it really was. it wouldn't raise it 100% either  !!!!   He had not been greasing the UPPER saddles because they had quit taking grease a long time ago. I sprayed some oil in each dry saddle and then the 7020 would raise it just fine.
JakeW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 7:54pm
Okay thank you, I will give it a shot in the morning!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 11:28pm
2500 psi is what your system should have when activated.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 6:58pm
So, are we fixed or not ????????
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 7:08pm
I went thru this with a 185, couldnt hardly turn the front wheels - greesed it all up took the spindles etc out- lubed up good - and it was the problem- hydraulic pump was fine
JakeW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 8:51pm
Unfortunately greasing the soil finisher did not fix the problem. However, we did add two shims to the valve spool and we can now lift it, but I have to tie the lever back in the cab and then get out to manually push it back up. It’s hard on the back but it helped get me out in the field while it was nice.

I don’t know if it is related to adding the shims but now when I left the whole thing up it blows the hydraulic line out of the outlet. And a huge leak sprung up under the steering column, but the hose looked like it was pretty worn out.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 9:47pm
Adding shims to what valve spool ?? and without using a gauge ??  Tying a lever back in the cab ??  Reading your whole post confuses me.
JakeW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 10:06pm
After reading all the posts and trying all solutions before testing. I went to a local tractor mechanic to have him test the pressure and see what he thought. I wasn’t there while he was doing it, because I was at work. When I talked to him again he told me to add two shims that are .002in thick, under the cab below the hydraulic pump. After doing so, it did seem to help because before I couldn’t get the wings up at all even with pushing. Now after adding the shims, if I am by myself I use string to hold the lever back and then get out of the tractor and push the wings and they then fold, that is the reason for tying the lever back. As for testing the pressure and what they read, I am not sure because he didn’t say anything besides adding two shims.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 10:17pm
I question if the orifices on the implement wing fold cylinders need to be drilled out ?? would fold up faster and would be stronger/more powerful. 2500 psi is what your main pump should produce. Newer tractors are 2,900 psi and maybe this implement is orificed for this higher pressure.  EDIT: with the engine OFF, pull that remote lever clear back. Does it lock into detent ????? it has to lock into raise detent or it is not being fully stroked because of loose and or worn linkage to that valve.

Edited by DrAllis - 16 May 2022 at 10:49pm
JakeW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 10:49pm
Why would a smaller tractor at 80hp be able to lift it without a problem, but the 7040 cannot? If it isn’t about the horse of the engine then it’s the pressure the pump can produce to lift it? I’m new to the larger equipment and what it takes to lift and pull everything.
JakeW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 10:51pm
Responding to your edit the lever that raises and lowers the entire implement locks in place, but the lever than folds the wings does not.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 10:51pm
HP has nothing to do with it. Read my edit. Your tractor is low on pump pressure, or the valve spool not being fully stroked or the flow control is set too slow, etc, etc.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 10:53pm
If that lever doesn't lock into detent, that is probably the problem. Switch the hoses and prove it to yourself.
JakeW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 10:54pm
Okay I will try it in the morning. Thank you very much!
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 10:06am
My 200 did the very same thing years ago. Before lunch it worked fine lifting 15' disc and after lunch it would barely get it off the ground. Tried it on the 185 and worked fine. Replaced male tips on hoses and fixed the problem.
JakeW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 5:02pm
I didn’t get to try anything on the tractor today, I plan on getting a jump on it in the morning. Thank you for all the tips!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic