This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7030 fast-slow cable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7030 fast-slow cable
    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:15pm
Hi again I am going to work my fast slow tow park as I am not at all satisfied with the way the Bandit shifts with that lever. Any hints? I plan on taking the side cover off and follow the cable through the floor? Is it common sense how to adjust the cable? Thanks! Dana
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Sponsored Links

captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:22pm

New 20.8’s, I’m sloooowly getting her up to our standards!
                          Dana
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:28pm
On an 8000 you remove the seat and take up the rear floor plate. WAH LAH ! It's right there if you want get at the adjustment. Also adjustable on other end. My bet is you need a new cable. Someone recently posted a pic of that spot on a 7000 I believe.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 5:43am
Thanks Steve, anyone else c’mon y’all!
                          Dana
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 6:17am
IIRC you mentioned you could not shift to park. Pull off the side panel, floor mat and panel. All endlinks are adjustable. The short cable under the floor pulls it into park gate. I couldn't shorten the cable enough to pull into park. I found excessive wear on the link that moves the cable so I built up welded that area. If your standards are high, I suggest you replace the range cable. It made a huge difference in my case.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 6:54am
That cable on an 8050 that I had got bad one time to where it wouldn't shift any more. New one had to be ordered. In the mean time, took the old one out and oiled it up. Shifted great then. Never did put the new cable in when I got it. To oil the cable, I just took about a foot of hose that fit over the outer housing of the cable and clamped it on at one end. Filled the hose with some oil and put a little air pressure to it with blow gun. Worked at it several time until most of the oil had went into the cable and it worked like a charm. Darrel
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 6:56am
CaptainDana, I see your 7030 has the improved black cab steps. How do like them? Nice 20.8s!
Heres an older forum link that discusses a 7020 with “park shifter” issues.
https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/7020-transmission-stuck-in-park_topic146577.html

Heres a link that is labeled 7040, but deleting the park shift cable on a 7050/7030 is discussed with photos.
L https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/7040-range-cable-replacement_topic150108.html

Edited by AC7060IL - 02 Apr 2020 at 7:00am
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 7:06am
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

That cable on an 8050 that I had got bad one time to where it wouldn't shift any more. New one had to be ordered. In the mean time, took the old one out and oiled it up. Shifted great then. Never did put the new cable in when I got it. To oil the cable, I just took about a foot of hose that fit over the outer housing of the cable and clamped it on at one end. Filled the hose with some oil and put a little air pressure to it with blow gun. Worked at it several time until most of the oil had went into the cable and it worked like a charm. Darrel

We have done this many times as well but it’s only a temporary fix. But it does work for the short term
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 7:14am
Originally posted by wekracer wekracer wrote:

Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

We have done this many times as well but it’s only a temporary fix. But it does work for the short term
If I remember right, I cut one end of mine apart so I could emery cloth the cable, then using a sleeve or two that I made, I brazed it back together and oiled it up good. That was probably 15 years ago and it shifts like new still.

I wish I would have taken pics of exactly what I did. I wasn't sure that whatever I did would work but I had time and if it didn't work then I'd just buy the new cable...... I should pop the panel off and take a pic and maybe refresh my memory.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 2:23pm
There are 2 cables on the range shift if it is cable shifted. The parts book also shows a linkage shift. There are rod ends on the high low and ball and socket on the side to side. All thread onto the cable ends.
On my 7010 I cut a hole in the floor panel and attached a lever to the stub shifter for the range transmission. I replace the bolt that attaches the lug on the shifter with a 3/8 stud and screwed on an extension I made.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:08pm
Dana,you could disconnect both ends and see how easy it is to push/pull by hand. Should have very little resistance. New pushes free.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:13pm
I wasn’t happy with mine on my new to me 7040, it wouldn’t go in park. I removed the floor and console panel and played with it. Someone had replaced the high low cable but the park cable was binding up so I ordered a new one. After looking at it I wasn’t impressed with the engineering on how it all works with cables. I definitely understand why some make a shifter for it.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:18pm
They will push and pull good when unhooked but with a load will not push easy sometimes.       MACK
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 7:59pm
Ok experts I pulled the side console and floor boards on my 30. I do not understand how to adjust the fast slow cable ends. There is a lock nut On each end but I don’t see what to turn to make anything change. My park cable works perfectly. Help needed please! Y’all are the best. Thanks, Dana. Oh, and could someone post a pic of how / what was added to below the floor to take the place of the cable. I surely would like to keep the cable though.
                          Dana
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 8:09pm
Isn't Hi / low range and park all run by the same cable?
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 9:04pm
Ok experts I pulled the side console and floor boards on my 30. I do not understand how to adjust the fast slow cable ends. There is a lock nut On each end but I don’t see what to turn to make anything change. My park cable works perfectly. Help needed please! Y’all are the best. Thanks, Dana. Oh, and could someone post a pic of how / what was added to below the floor to take the place of the cable. I surely would like to keep the cable though.
                          Dana
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 9:19pm
Loosen the jam nut and thread or unthread the ball socket on either or both ends of the cable. That is how to adjust.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 9:32pm
Ya gotta disconnect from  lever or shifter so you can loosen lock nut and turn end on threads.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by AllisFreak MN AllisFreak MN wrote:

Yes for those 3 functions but the little cable moves it sideways to the park "slot" then the big cable shifts it in.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:25am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Originally posted by AllisFreak MN AllisFreak MN wrote:

Yes for those 3 functions but the little cable moves it sideways to the park "slot" then the big cable shifts it in.
two cables control it. One cable for high low another short cable for park
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:55am
Thank you I’m on it!
                          Dana
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:37am
The small allen head screws at each cable clamp need some Loctite on them as they are KNOWN for loosening up over time. Get them tight.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:31pm
Wow y’all she shifts like she’s new! Allen’s are tight, trans end was adjusted 3 times till correct and lever end twice to get correct. I sincerely thank you all, it was a learning curve working in such tight spaces. I also correctly bundled and protected lots of wires down in there. Tomorrow I’ll put everything back together. Balls and sockets were greased with a needle grease gun. Floors cleaned and coated with 2 layers of flex steal. New agco $127 ign switch and start push button installed. I’m thinking just a cab kit to go? Thanks again, Dana
                          Dana
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic