This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7020 engine woes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45Diesel57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7020 engine woes
    Posted: 25 May 2016 at 10:50pm
I had my 7020 on the a John Deere 15 foot disc bine yesterday all was going good until I stopped to change a knife on the hay bine I noticed a slight pop in the exhaust at an idle. Thought it was weird probably should have shut er down then, but thought it was fine kept going, did a couple more long rounds stopped at noticed the pop got louder following every pop was a whisp. When I crank it to start I noticed one cylinder has little to no compression. Any thoughts on what I should check before tear down, I did check the valve lash it was fine, please any thoughts!!
1-B's, 2-C, 2-CA's,2-WF, 1-WC,1-G, 3-WD's, 2-WD45, 1-RC, 1-D17 Diesel, 1-D14, 2-D15,1-D17 row crop,1-D19 gas and All Crop 40,60,66,72,90 and 100
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 6:59am
It has a push rod off.  Remove valve cover, reinstall pushrod, and readjust.  MACK
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 7:03am
Says it has no compression, and he has already checked the valves, it's got more problems than a pushrod.
WD45Diesel57 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45Diesel57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 7:24am
I even set the valves hot like the book said, im leaning towards a bad valve or crack
1-B's, 2-C, 2-CA's,2-WF, 1-WC,1-G, 3-WD's, 2-WD45, 1-RC, 1-D17 Diesel, 1-D14, 2-D15,1-D17 row crop,1-D19 gas and All Crop 40,60,66,72,90 and 100
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 7:57am
With the engine idling, you can crack loose each injector line and determine which cylinder has the problem. Keep your hands back away from the squirting fuel. You say nothing about heavy/puffing blow-by, so I assume it isn't a piston. Sounds like a valve failure.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 8:03am
burned an exhaust valve - has the unit ever been hot? If so possible seat issue..
Bad or stopped up tip can cause the valve failure. IF you crank it over and hear a ummm ummm whoosh out the exhaust- that is it  
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 8:19am
Sounds just like my 7020 last summer. It wound up being a bad exhaust valve. Then found a couple injecter sleeves had a slow leak. Hope you are more fortunate than I was.
Leon B
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45Diesel57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 12:26pm
blow by is normal for its age, didn't increase when this happened
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 2:44pm
When we did ours, we took the exhaust manifold off(not a big job), then turn the engine over with the starter, making sure the injection pump is off. If it's an exhaust valve, you'll hear the hiss immediately.
Leon B
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45Diesel57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 11:53am
well I finally bit the bullet and pulled the head on the 7020 last night and found the problem. all the pistons look good no burn marks, put the head on the bench and started to pull valves and as we discussed number two cylinder valve was burnt! the actual valve is burnt beyond grinding but the seat I think is savable or should I just get a new one installed?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 12:27pm
You are in kind of a tough spot here. Not knowing how many hours are on the engine, I'd probably try and grind the existing seat and stick in a new valve and go with that. You potentially need to replace all six of the copper injector sleeves, and that costs money. The cylinder head might also be cracked at all those injector holes and that might mean welding the head, or finding an un-cracked head. If you choose to grind all the other valves and seats, you'll probably need all 12 valve guides at a minimum. Lots of options here.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:52pm
  A good experienced machine shop is worth it's weight in gold for your problem.   My dealer was up for spending a ton on parts but i took the head to my machine shop and for not much money, he had me back in good shape.
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:53pm
Take the head to Holloways in Stratford and Murray JR. in the machine shop will take care of it. None better or fussier.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic