This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7000 series cab modifications

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7000 series cab modifications
    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:58pm
After buying a 7040 a couple of weeks ago I have started to work on it and I have a couple of questions. The cab has more rust than I thought when I looked at it. Does anyone have a source for patch panels? Also has anyone ever made the right door functional? It appears to be bolted in and I wonder if it can be modified to open?
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 6:26am
Anything is possible. It looks like the frame is different so you would need a mirror image of those parts and the door latch would operate backwards unless you could modify that and then find or fabricate hinges. After all that, can you get in and out without tripping over the console? Just a thought.
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 7:06am
I have thought about putting hinges on that door. I am tall and have a hard time trying to do anything in that corner of the cab. My thought would be to tack weld some hinges on the outside. Take the screws out, and weld hinges on the inside. Make it like the other door. All the handle hardware can be sourced from Heitman tractor salvage. This new access would be just for maintenance.
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Red Bank Red Bank wrote:

Does anyone have a source for patch panels? Also has anyone ever made the right door functional? It appears to be bolted in and I wonder if it can be modified to open?
Someone years ago on this forum has done both. Can't remember who but one person made new front cab corners and welded them and there was a person who converted that right panel into an operating door. Been a while back though.

I always thought that the original idea was to make that cab with two doors and then perhaps the idea was axed and that window panel was bolted in instead. Otherwise why did they not just make that side solid like the factory cab of a 200?

As far as the door handle I believe Hiniker or Year-A-Round made both left and right door latches and they would work in a 7000 series cab.

Edited by Lonn - 02 Apr 2020 at 7:21am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 7:58am
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

Anything is possible. It looks like the frame is different so you would need a mirror image of those parts and the door latch would operate backwards unless you could modify that and then find or fabricate hinges. After all that, can you get in and out without tripping over the console? Just a thought.
I really was just looking to have access to that side of the cab not necessarily to use it to get in and out of the cab. I find myself walking to that side and then having to walk around while working on it or cleaning. Lol another reason would be safety in case of a roll over.
automaticdave View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote automaticdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:31am
Bolt a 8000 cab on it, you'll like it !
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 6:56pm
I've welded the floor on my 7000.   Put some new pieces in and a bit of rust paint.

If the cab is that bad I'd look at the wreckers. Most are just junked.   You could get one cheap?

It all depends on how much or how long are you going to use it? and how much life it has left in it? (and how much life you have left?)
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Ron(AB) Ron(AB) wrote:

I've welded the floor on my 7000.   Put some new pieces in and a bit of rust paint.

If the cab is that bad I'd look at the wreckers. Most are just junked.   You could get one cheap?

It all depends on how much or how long are you going to use it? and how much life it has left in it? (and how much life you have left?)

That last line says alot. Some repairs now are decided by "it will last longer than I will".
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:09pm
True about how long I will last. The cab needs the front cab corners and a patch panel under the seat where the lift speed valve rod is. I just hate to buy a cab kit and put in it without trying to fix these bad spots. I am not necessarily trying to restore it for shows but I want it to look decent. One of my customers came by to look at it he does fabrication for show trucks, and he said no problem to fabricate new pieces and make the right door functional, so I am going to turn him loose on it and we will see how it turns out. The tractor was bought to work and I probably should have doubled my money and bought a nicer one but in my area there aren’t many to choose from.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic