This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

653 steering issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsumudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 653 steering issues
    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 2:51pm
Hi all, I am brand new to the forum but was hoping for some help. I just bought a 653 dozer (SN in the 8000s) and took it out to see how she worked. Starts right up and runs great, but seems to have some steering issues. When I tap the pedal to turn it will continue to turn after I let off. If I tap the other pedal to keep it from going too far, it seems to go in neutral and stops completely. This is not a huge problem unless I am on a hill where it will quickly roll back (it’s in southern Indiana I’ll be mostly working on hills).   Is this an adjustment problem in a clutch, or is there something going out that will need replaced?    This is my first dozer and I’m still learning what everything is. I will buy the mechanics manual (unless someone wants to share a digital copy) and start reading through it, but you guys are the experts and I figured I better ask you first. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links

Big Jim View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 6:57pm
It sounds to me like the spool valve that is under the seat. that controls the
steering clutches is hanging-up. I think if you can get the spools moving
freely and the return springs are in good shape. You will be good to go.

Jim
Bsumudd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsumudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 8:30pm
Thanks Big Jim.   It will unfortunately be a few weeks till I can get back there to look at it, but I will check that out. I really appreciate it.
Spike78653 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spike78653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 11:30am
You may want to pull the clutch cover off to inspect the clutch fork.  Mine was rusted up on the pivot pin so when you engaged the clutch and released, the clutch would stay engaged.  Once that happened that side would not drive anymore.  It took me a little bit to figure that one out. 
Spike78653
H3
Bsumudd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsumudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 9:53pm
Spike,

This thing sat for awhile it’s entirely possible things are rusted up. I just bought the service manual, so I will read into this. That being said, How big of a job was that? Its out in gods country with only hand tools to fix it.    

Thanks for the advice though. I will certainly read into this and check that out.
Spike78653 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spike78653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 8:54am
If it is indeed just the clutch fork hanging up its not bad at all.  Take the clutch cover off, work the steer handle of foot control back and forth to make sure the fork is moving back and forth.  If it is stuck, carefully use penetrating oil to work free, making sure you dont get any on the clutch discs themselves.
Spike78653
H3
Bsumudd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsumudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 10:35am
Spike,

Good deal. I will certainly check it out.   Looking forward to the manuals coming in to read up on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic