This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6138 TRUCK ENGINE?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 1:45pm

I have seen a couple of the 4W305's with a 855 cummins one at 300hp and the other at 350hp. The swap costs around 20g including a decent 855. If the 6138 was aquired at a reasonable cost there shouldn't be too much else to change to make fit so it could be more cost effective, maybe even keep the twin turbos if the 6120 exhaust manifolds will bolt to the 6138.

Mark
Sponsored Links

jasmesmic View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasmesmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 9:41pm
I read all your information its very interesting.
Transaxial View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transaxial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 1:54pm
I realize this thread is 5 years old but this subject is 40-50 years old so here goes. First to Oldred. Are you the guy that bought my blown 731 in about 1990? IIRC someone from Rimbey bought it and I see you are very close to there. If so I would like to catch up with you sometime and see what you have been up to for the last 30 years! On the subject of the thread, I replaced the 731 with a small cam NTC 350 into my 8550 because of high parts cost from Agco, much better availability of used engines and parts from Cummins, 9 gal/hr with the Cummins vs 14 with the 731, much better starting engine, much better pulling engine, and on and on. I have been extremely happy with the conversion and still own the tractor and could go to work with it this afternoon if needed. I designed and had a local machine shop build a bell housing to mate the Cummins to the AC 24" bolt circle transmission housing. I pieced together a two plate 14" Cummins dish flywheel and modified a Lipe pressure plate with the release fingers removed and added more springs to hold on the 12" Allis friction plates that had the right spline for the input shaft. I know this is going the wrong way for what the discussion is to install this block in a truck, but it could be machined the other way. A couple of years ago there were some interesting threads on this forum about what happened in the Allis head office that allowed a transmission out of a 150 hp 2 wd to wind up in a 300 hp 4wd. I started a thread "did the bean counters take charge" or something like that, and a very smart and interesting guy from high up in AC responded. 427435 who was a regular contributor, and sadly we lost him a couple of years ago, gave a great response that went something like this. AC is bleeding red, no R and D money, stick the 20 speed PD trans into the 8550 and speed it up to 2800 rpm so the torque will be less than 600 ft lbs, put a fuel limiter in the Bosch style fuel pump to cut the fuel under 2500 rpm, even at WOT. All to get a tractor out on the market which has dried up to 1200 units total across all makes and models in the mid eighties. This was the second last attempt to save a dying company. Except for the 305 which was the last and actually turned out to be a pretty good tractor. My 8550 with the NTC350 was and still is, a really good tractor if you do your heavy pulling in 5th gear low range in the drop box and low range in the PD. Straight through the main transmission. I have long believed that AC had a great engine in the 844 made to pull at 18-2100 rpm. Every bit as big and beefy as Cummins or Cat. It would be cool to see what that 844 could do in a truck.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transaxial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Oldred Oldred wrote:

<FONT style=": #000000">I have seen a couple of the 4W305's with a 855 cummins one at 300hp and the other at 350hp. The swap costs around 20g including a decent 855. If the 6138 was aquired at a reasonable cost there shouldn't be too much else to change to make fit so it could be more cost effective, maybe even keep the twin turbos if the 6120 exhaust manifolds will bolt to the 6138.

Mark

Hi Mark. Are you the guy that bought my 731 in about 1990? I did a writeup in an old thread and just wanted to give you a heads up via a quote.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 12:47pm
Transaxial, I see Mark was last on in April of this year, you might send him a pm that goes to his email, incase he doesn't check in for a while longer.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
allisguy.11 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisguy.11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 8:07am
This winter we lost Jeff Heitman..... he was totally dedicated to the history, research and preservation of these engines. The facebook auction page just sold one of his purple engines and there is a yellow 25000 on there being sold now. 
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 10:16am
Dang I missed that one , Do you know what the purple engine brought ? Also was there anyone to contact on information on it ?
allisguy.11 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisguy.11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 9:28am
brought close to 10k... broke front crank but complete
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 9:36am
Oh wow ! Thanks
Oldred View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 2:15am
Sorry I missed this thread from a couple years ago. Lol

Transaxle,  No I did not buy your 731 engine. I did however come to your farm about 10 years ago and looked at your 8070 that you were selling and then we went and checked out your 8550.
I bought a 4W305 way out by Melfort Sask soon after we chatted and been using it on my JD 9501 PT combine and large rental manure spreader.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transaxial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 1:53pm
Hi Mark. We seem to keep missing each other on this forum!
If you get this message and want to catch up sometime give me a call
780 662 2614
I suspect we will have lots to talk about!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 1:41pm
Thing now is the EPA and the emmissions from engines - And if CARB rules of Calif get pushed harder the diesel will be a item of history . 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 2:58pm
Ive got 6138TI in a DES 300 AC genset. 300 hours. Sounds like a locomotive. I start it every couple weeks just to hear it run and to warm it up to keep condensation out
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic