This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

60 Series Tractors How good are they?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 60 Series Tractors How good are they?
    Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 9:52pm
I have a freind of mine who has a small farming operation and is looking for a good used tractor in the 70 to 90 HP class, preferably w/front wheel assist. He knew I farmed with Allis and was wondering how good the later model A/C 60 or 80 series tractor were. Newest one I had was a 7050 which was OK but I don'thave any experience with the next series. I told him that this site was probably the best there is for honest opinions on them. So how good are the 60 or 80 series? Strong points and weak points?
Any information will be greatly appreciated,
Ron
Sponsored Links

AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 10:08pm
Hey Ron from MN. I have a 6060 2WD and am happy with it for the most part. I dont like the fact that it has a thrust bearing kit that had to be dealer installed as an afterthought although mine seems to be holding up well. The reverse gear in high range is way to fast for anything useful and low range is too slow except for snowblowing applications where it is actually pretty good. It is also cold blooded as far as starting when the temp gets into the +40's or below. Plug it in for a half hour and she'll fire right up though. I believe the 6070's and later 6080's had higher compression for better starting and a manifold heater also. The 6070's and 6080's also had a third range selection which is very helpful with the reverse problem. Don't get me wrong, overall I love my 6060, excellent power and fuel economy, just stating the facts.    
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 10:48pm
I've got a 1985 6080 2wd that has been great. Efficient and has power when you need it, easy to manuever.  Mine has the ether injector and manifold heater (do not use both at the same time!), so starting in the winter is not a big problem.  The synchromesh transmission is nice but I find 4 middle too slow and 1 high too fast - wish there was a gear between them.  By 1985, all of the (few) bugs were worked out in production.

The only problem is trying to find a really nice one!
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 5:54am
We had minor issues with our 6060, The PTO would not engage so we had to pull the lever to find it was bent and not engaging all the way, I think this is a common issue. Fuel pump was rebuilt a few years back as the O rings deteriorated. It is very cold blooded and I agree about reverse, but otherwise it has been a good tractor since new.
I worked on a farm that had a 6080 and that was a good tractor also, very good power and better gear choices. We had to rebuild the hydraulic pump twice.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Mark_SE/CO View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_SE/CO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 8:29am
Been running a 1983 2wd 6080 for about 6 years now. Great utility tractor, good power, great fuel economy. If u are going to use it for pulling  it need as much weight as u can stack on it mine seems to be a bit to light to real hook down good but hardest pull is a ditch A so not an issue for me. Be ready to rebuild injector pump if it hasnt been done already. If the money is there i would definatly move up to 8010/8030 with powershift.
Not as manuverable but better for tillage and comfortable.
Mark
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 3:31pm
Any idea how many hours the Roosa Master pump is good for before needing a rebuild?
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 4:10pm
had a 6060 for 20 plus years ..had the front bearing kit installed so crank wouldnt move .. couldnt get more than a gallon of fuel per hour thru it ...
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic