This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'51 CA PTO locking up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosstrumpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '51 CA PTO locking up
    Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 6:25pm
Hello everyone. 
I've been working on a restore in between using my CA for actual field work. I was getting ready to take it out today to brush hog and when I put the PTO engagement shaft in the active position the engine bogs down, and the gearing in the PTO make alot of noise -  clanking tick almost. When i try to disengage the PTO the shaft is locked and the PTO seems to be locked also. i had to put it in reverse to get tension off the gears and lower the arms. Was planning on pulling PTO this winter anyway to replace the leaky gasket but not sure where to start with this new issue. It had been working no problem beforehand.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 10:01pm
the TOP SHAFT thru the transmission goes all the way back to the PTO drive... If you can run OK thru the gears then that shaft and bearings are OK... On the PTO housing there is a small PTO shaft with bearings on each end, and a slide to engage that.. You  might have a bad bearing in the PTO housing...  With the tractor in gear , not running, and the pto DISENGAGED, you should be able to turn the pto shaft by hand.. all you are turning is the short shaft with the two bearings, and the belt shaft with its bearings. ( and the pump !)..  If it does not turn, then one of those  four bearings are probably bad... ( or the pump)

If it does turn by hand, then put the transmission in neutral so the top shaft will spin.. Now engage the PTO and see if you can turn the PTO by hand.. If not, then there is something wrong with the slide / engagement area of the housing.

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Oct 2023 at 10:15pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 10:10pm
OOOPS... that small PTO shaft has a couple LOBES on it that drive the hydraulic pump.. If your PUMP is locked up, that could case things to drag... If the PTO shaft will not turn, or turn real HARD when in neutral, you might remove the pump/ valve and try again to see if the problem is the shaft bearings... or in the PUMP..
mosstrumpet View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosstrumpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 6:35pm
I ran both diagnostic tests. The first passed tractor was in gear, not running with the pto disengaged and it was able to turn freely.

I then put the tractor in neutral and engaged the pto - the pto / pulley would not turn by hand. 

I have pulled the fenders, seat and deck. As i said, I planned on doing this anyway to replace the pto gasket but might as well disassemble the hydraulic pump to clean it out and inspect springs replace components as needed. I was thinking that since I could disengage the PTO when the lift lever was in the down position that possibly several pump pistons are in the extended position at the same time causing it to lock up. 

I'll recheck the neutral with pto engaged when the pump is removed to validate if it is a pump failure.

Once I get into it I'll repost and put some pictures up. 

Thanks for the insight. 

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 7:06pm
when your turning the PTO shaft, you are also stroking the pump... If it TURNS when the PTO lever is disengaged, then i would think the pump is OK.??

Your problem is when you ENGAGE the PTO to the top shaft ??.... I would think that would be in the ENGAGEMENT / slide area. ??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 7:13pm
Your problem would appear to be in the back end of the top shaft, with the ENGAGEMENT lever / gear ....... as everything in the BACK works when not connected to the top shaft ?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic