This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5 Hour/Monster Drinks??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 Hour/Monster Drinks??
    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 7:20pm
Do any of you partake in either of these products? Just curious as to the energy/health issues . 
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 8:54pm
i use the 5 hour energy stuff in them little containers, mostly to wet my mouth and gimme a better tasting mouth, i'm a mouth breather so it gets dry fast. can carry them in my pocket. one bottle lasts me about a week. then i take that little bottle and make me a BIG firecracker with it! i like the peach/mango the best. i watch little kids and big kids buying them big cans ALOT. i also buy a few of them B12 shots in them little bottles, gives me a little boost when needed, i don't drink it all the time. i asked my Doc about it, she said it would get in my system faster and didn't think it would be bad for me if i didn't drink it all the time. i used to go in and get a B12 shot from the Doc, only cost $2. and boy did that give me a lift! Doc did say and i think it says it on the big cans not to drink it alot...i don't think anyone reads the cans tho. sad when little kids hafta drink it to stay awake in school, and the parents let them drink it.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 10:22pm
I never drank them but I did see an article that showed the amount of caffeine in each.  A cup of coffee has more than any of those they compared.  Just another gimmick.  I have heard some bad reports on them as well.  But then everything causes cancer and heart disease, and, and .  .  .  .  .  .
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 10:57pm
An average cup of coffee contains around 95mg of caffine.  A really, really fancy cup of Joe can exceed 500mg.  An average 180lb person can tolerate up to about 400mg per day for a while before suffering side-effects, but chemical dependancies start showing up as low as 50mg/day.  The  sugars and carbohydrates are substantial.  There are a variety of nutritional elements added for healthful image, but insignificant otherwise.

One can of Monster yields about 160mg, and a variety of starches and sugars to go with the other things.

Several years ago, a 13-year-old boy on a field trip with my wife's school brought a soft insulated bag with eight cans of Monster.  He drank one while waiting for the bus, and the remaining seven before the bus was loaded.

An ambulance took him away, the bus was delayed for 40 minutes.  They worked on him for most of the day, and part of the night, after which he was kept in the hospital for 4 days.  Since then, he has been insulin-dependant, and will be for life.

Proper nutrition and hydration is always the best choice.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 6:49am
A guy I used to work with drank 1 or 2 of those a day plus a liter of Mountain Dew. Suffered a severe stroke. Died a couple years later. Many people can put the blame on that kind of diet but there have been underlying issues. I will never know for sure. But I do believe excess on anything is bad.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 7:18am
The energy drinks like Monster, Red Bull, whatever are TERRIBLE for you. WAY too much sugar in many forms.

The 5 hour products aren't too bad. Caffeine about like a cup of coffee, and some vitamins, very little sugar.

I've only tried a sip of Red Bull, and no other energy drinks, and I thought it tasted terrible. Not interested in any others.

I used the 5 hour energy one time. Had to drive from the North half of MI to Delaware. Didn't even make OH and I was tired and nobody else would pull the trailer. Didn't want to have to stop and pee every hour like drinking coffee, so I gave it a try. Worked pretty well, and no sugar "crash". Two days later, had to drive back, used another one. No crash and slept fine.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 8:10am
I drink old fashioned Black Coffee, every day, have since was 14, built a resistance to the stuff where can drink a pot and still lay down to sleep with no issues.  Usually Folgers, make a pot, have it gone an hour or two later, in the garages and at the nuke drank coffee anytime on break ALL Day or ALL Night, winter drank it just to fight off cold, driving kept a full thermos in the truck at all times, refilled as emptied.  As mentioned on here watched guys slam energy power drinks to 'Stay Awake' and that was about all was good for, reflexes were bad, judgement was off, not good at all.  I would do a Power Aid ZERO (NO Sugar) to maintain hydrated with lots of water as that replenished electrolytes ending up in my shirts socks and drawers.  

Guys on energy drinks had usually higher BP, heart rate etc. even on meds, my own is and has been in Normal for the last thirty years, NO Meds.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 9:02am
It's interesting how some people can build up a tolerance to caffeine and others don't. I'm definitely one who does not. I've been drinking coffee regularly and plentifully for 31 years, and still I do not take in any caffeine in any form after 3:00 pm or I will not be able to sleep even if I feel tired.

Neighbor lady had an interesting theory on that, blood type.

What blood type are you Dave? Curious if her theory has any merit whatsoever. Probably not, she's a bit of a nut. I'm B Positive.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 10:19am
A Pos here.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 10:32am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

A Pos here.

A+ also and can drink a bottle of Mountain Dew after supper with no problems going to sleep that night. Maybe blood type does make a difference.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 11:25am
O- here. Can't tolerate the stuff at all.
Gets me too wired I can't do anything.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 11:56am
The one comment made remember a drink the young crowd drinks.  I think it's called YogaBull, maybe Bullmeister?  Not sure if the caffeine does anything.  It's Redbull and yogameister, not sure of the spelling.  I think it's a bourbon.  I never tried one.  You probably don't want to have to many and try to drive!Big smile
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 12:18pm
It's called Jägermeister, and it is NOT bourbon! Hahaha Jager bombs they call it around here.

Edited by Tbone95 - 24 Jul 2020 at 12:19pm
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 1:17pm
A lot of the energy drinks that are loaded with sugar can cause diabetes if one is prone to have it anyway and consumes too many of the drinks. I tried one and it didn't do a thing for me so I am not wasting my money. I use the little packets of Pedialyte mixed in a bottle of water to maintain my electrolytes and the liquid vitamin B for energy. In this hot weather I try to stay ahead of the curve on hydration.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 2:10pm
Hugh hit it on the head... Pedialyte does a great job of recovering electrolyte losses.  A good diet, proper exercise, and rest is best. 

Blood type... there's a BIZILLION other factors.  Body chemistry is indiscribably complex... park two practically guys side-by-side, and what has no impact on one, could have a serious effect on the other, and that's because there's just too many variables.  The one common variable, however, is toxicity- things that upset our bodies neurologic and chemical operation enough, that our bodies can no longer effectively function and counteract to prevent damage. 

It's like having a little anti-freeze in your oil-pan.  It still runs, but your bearings are gradually being carved out by water and glycol, then oil pressure falls, rod bearings start to bind, then a rod bends, and a picture window appears in the block...

Kidney, liver, pancreas, heart, lungs... they're rather important.  Protect them...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 10:59pm
redbull and UV blue mixed....is pretty darn good!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 1:43pm
Don't use any of that stuff my 3 cups of coffee every morning ans water from then on.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 3:27pm
IF you value your health---stay away from that crap!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 4:41pm
Had a young kid on my crew collapse from some kind of monster energy drink or similar. Says right on it not good for the ole ticker. I don’t like my guys using it.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 5:25pm
Many oil exploration companies don’t allow those types of drinks on their properties. Gatorade, Powerade, is as strong as they allow. Coffee, soda, water, no problem.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

IF you value your health---stay away from that crap!
This was my thoughts also SmileSmile
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 1:30pm
I tried Red Bull once. To me it was disgustingly sweet and my heart pounded like it was going to jump out of my chest. Since becoming an independent Amway distributor I found I like some of their XS brand energy drinks. Most of them are low or no sugar and low or no caffeine. They use nutrition for the energy boost and you don't get the crash from the sugar high you get from other drinks. 
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic