This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4BT in a WD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4BT in a WD
    Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 8:59am
New guy here with a ?.
Does any one know what it would entail to put a cummins 4BT in a WD? It's probably been done by someone on this fine site who would know the pitfalls if this were possible.
tks, in advance,
dg
Sponsored Links

Honey B View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 9:12pm
I'm go to find out soon. Currently in the process of putting a 4bt in a WD. The adapter  plate is made flywheel and clutch is almost ready. Looking to pull 3rd or 4th gear with 18.4x34s. I'm thinking about 4000lbs.                                                    
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 6:34am
What Club or Organization would allow a "homemade" tractor like that to even compete??......none where I live.....maybe a "courtesy hook" at best.
Honey B View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 5:00pm

I'm sure if you could put on good show most place's would let you pull. I've not got rich pulling yet so let's have some fun. I've heard alot of  chatter about other wanting to do the same.

2wise4agm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wise4agm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

What Club or Organization would allow a "homemade" tractor like that to even compete??......none where I live.....maybe a "courtesy hook" at best.

There is a small group here in Missouri that have a "repower farm" class for tractors just like that. I'm not sure how long it will last though. VERY few tractors pull in it.
dgerth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 10:56pm
Fun? of course fun would enter into it! I'm not puling for the plastic trophy. I have a neighbor who pulls Olivers and I want to "best" him if I can with Orange! A friendly rivalry of course. The 226/201 path is getting hard to follow, parts are getting hard to find and was looking for an alternative. Like you said, just for fun? DEFINITLY!!
dg
PS,  will it work?, and how to accomplish?
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 5:14am

I want pictures when your done!!!  Can you say Brush pulling baby!!!!!!!!!!

'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
Honey B View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 6:39am
The WD I pull at Dale's OPOP broke the front main from the outside over the top and back down. To build another engine is $$$$. It was a 4.520''x 5.5'' fun but still a MPH tractor I want something more.      
Nick So. IN. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick So. IN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:38pm
Shoot, just go ahead and go with a 5.9. lol  There is an Oliver Super  88 that runs in a 4,500 lb class here, he has a CR 5.9 in it, said its around 900 horse.
Honey B View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 7:14pm
I think the power to drivetrain ratio would be wrong with a 5.9 Cummins. 5.9 weighs a third more also.
CTD03 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTD03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 9:20pm
a local guy is running a cockshut with a cr5.9. Not sure what the number is on the tractor. I may have to stop in and take a look.
1961 D17
(sold)1968 190xt
ALLISMAN32 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALLISMAN32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 10:32pm
If you're not cheating the rules some you're probably not competing! Let er smoke honey b and have some fun. I'm sure international was planning on installing those big truck engines in their 560's from the factory and oliver just had'nt quite got around to putting the threaded spark plug holes in their 12 port cross flow heads for the 88's but they would have, without a doubt if cummins would of had their b series engines available when wd's and 45's and D-17's were being produced they would not have used those lackluster Buda diesel engines.
AC Billy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 11:41am
I am interested in this setup as well, does anyone have a pic of the WD/Cummins repower setup ...or progress pics ?
Honey B View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 5:59pm
I have the engine mounted in the tractor with a triple disk clutch.  Now working on fenders and a stronger set of wheelie bars.  The engine looks like it belongs.  The timing cover and turbo hang out a little bit.  The Cummins is a little bit shorter engine.  Would show photos, but camera not working.  Maybe I can get some of my good friends to come over and post them.  Should be fun when it gets warm!
AC Billy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Honey B Honey B wrote:

I have the engine mounted in the tractor with a triple disk clutch.  Now working on fenders and a stronger set of wheelie bars.  The engine looks like it belongs.  The timing cover and turbo hang out a little bit.  The Cummins is a little bit shorter engine.  Would show photos, but camera not working.  Maybe I can get some of my good friends to come over and post them.  Should be fun when it gets warm!

Be sure to keep us posted !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic