This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

42 Millitary Issue B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 11:17am
Good topic guys.  The B and all of its variations is a wonderful tractor.  

Note to Morton:  The Allis Chalmers HD6 was used by the military and was noted as the Model HD-6M Air Droppable Crawler.  

Wish I could find out where some of those machines were air dropped, I am thinking maybe some were air dropped into Nam.  

Remember that conflict well as Dad was in the Pentagon working in Intelligence with the Air Force. 

BTW just a quick Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year to you guys.  Orangeman
Sponsored Links

outlook6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlook6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 4:29pm

Ken,

I got your pm.  The tractor is coming along, albeit slowly.  The transmission/differential, final drives, torque tube, and front end/steering are all rebuilt and painted.  The engine is painted and ready to mount.  I haven’t started reassembly yet because I want to have everything I need to quickly get it “up on all fours”.  My problem is rear wheels/tires.  I priced new Goodyear diamond treads (best match since there’s no way to duplicate the original treads) and at $573 dollars apiece, I decided to look for a better (read as cheaper) solution.

I found a source for a used pair of 8.3-24 Goodyear diamond treads.  The owner is replacing them with new chevron tread tires on his tractor.  I’m waiting for him to get them dismounted so I can go pick them up.  I’ve only got one good 8” rim so will probably just order a new rim to speed things up.

Once I have the tractor reassembled, I’ll need to rebuild or replace the magneto, carb, water pump, and radiator before I can get it running.  After that I still have to work on the sheet metal, then find or fabricate the brush guard, pintle hook, pto guard, etc.

Hopefully I can get the tire issue resolved in the next week or two and get the tractor up on all 4s by late January or early February.  The Christmas holidays and a trip to Alaska in January will impede my efforts for the next couple of months.  As soon as I get enough of it back together so it resembles a real tractor, I’ll start posting some images on this thread.

In the meantime best regards and Merry Christmas to all.

Jim

Josh Day View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 4:53pm
Whats up with all the spam on the first page?
mdtractormechanic View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 9:30pm
I've read this thread and find it fascinating. Ken, can't wait to see the final results. It should be a big hit at the shows. I worked on some of the bases around here and saw a couple of the M220's. They were used as tugs or mules.
Joe's 1939 Model WC, 1940 Model RC, 1944 & 1950 Model C's, B-125 PU
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 9:54pm
I believe the 8.3 tires should go on 7" rims. Bob
outlook6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlook6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 3:16pm
Bob,
You are correct - should be 7" rims.  I do have a usable 8" rim as well.  Unfortunately I only have one 7" and one 8" rim and am thus one short of a pair whichever way I go.
Regards,
Jim
wbecker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 4:04pm
For the millitary industreal B, I have a PTO guard that looks like that in my shed, I'd be glad to give it to him for shipping only.
I just got out of hernia surgery yesterday, but in a couple days I could send a picture of it.
Send a PM if interested.
Bill Becker
Allis B, IB, Low B, G, D10, JD M, 8KCAB, C152
outlook6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlook6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 4:49pm
Bill,
PM sent.

Many thanks!
Jim
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 9:07pm
Bill, Hope your surgery recovery is short. Once you check on that guard could you post a pic so we can see what it looks like.

Thanks, Joe
wbecker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 1:57pm
PTO Guard pics
If this is what you need I'll send it when I recover a little more, just let me know and give me an address. Bill Becker  wbecker@hotmail.com
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 2:33pm
Bill, Do you know what that guard originally came off of?
outlook6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlook6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 2:42pm
Bill,
Yep, that's the one.  I just sent you a PM with my mailing info.  I had assumed the PTO shield for the army tractors was a custom build requirement, like the brush guard and pintle hook.  But apparently not.  Like Joe posted above, I'd be curious to know what civilian tractors came with this shield as well.

Best regards,
Jim
wbecker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 3:15pm
I have bought several Bs for parts and don't know what one or year it was on, never saw another one like it. Bill
wbecker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by mdtractormechanic mdtractormechanic wrote:

Bill, Do you know what that guard originally came off of?
Now that I have thought about it, I'm sure it was on the B restored by Ed Karg that I won in the raffle at the upper midwest orange spectacular about 1995. I still have that B and still use it, took the guard off and but on the standard one yeas ago. I think it is a 1949, not sure.
Bill Becker
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 5:16pm
Do you think it's possible that the year is wrong and it may be a WWII military model?
wbecker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by mdtractormechanic mdtractormechanic wrote:

Do you think it's possible that the year is wrong and it may be a WWII military model?
No, I just checked
 it's a 49, sn100358.
Bill
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 6:02pm
Just a thought. Thanks for checking Bill.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 7:24pm
There you go Jim.
    Finding that special PTO Shield is like finding the last missing piece of a 1000 piece picture puzzle. Just needs a shot of OD Green paint and it's good to go.
   The guys on this AC forum are some of the very best folks around.
outlook6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlook6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 7:28am
Ken,
You're absolutely right.  I am extremely appreciative of all the help I've gotten on this forum since I started this project.

To all, many thanks and Merry Christmas!
Jim

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 11:33am
Jim,
When you get to the electrical, drop us a line. Be happy to help ya out.....
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by outlook6 outlook6 wrote:

Bill,
Yep, that's the one.  I just sent you a PM with my mailing info.  I had assumed the PTO shield for the army tractors was a custom build requirement, like the brush guard and pintle hook.  But apparently not.  Like Joe posted above, I'd be curious to know what civilian tractors came with this shield as well.

Best regards,
Jim
Bill, Jim,
I found this pic in BILLPSEMI123's photobucket. It's off of a UC but the year is unknown.

Edited by mdtractormechanic - 15 Dec 2011 at 1:23pm
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 12:05pm
Are the rear tires on this B, similar to what you would be needing for a military B?

Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
outlook6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlook6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 4:15pm
Don,
 It's hard to tell for sure without a head-on look at the tread, but it doesn't appear to be the same tires.  They appear to have a straight chevron tread rather than the zig-zag style as on the military version.
Many thanks for the heads up.
Jim
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 8:26am
I was thinking. Finding front rubber  to match the photos in the manual won't be easy either.  What have you found in this department Mr Jim?
  A regular turf tire on the rear may look OK.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 10:43am
looks like the regular swivel pintel to me. not that special.

German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 10:49am
The rears will:
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
outlook6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlook6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 11:18am
Ken,
I have a pair of Goodyear 4.00-15 rib implement tires (4 groove) already mounted to the front rims.  They don't match the tires in the manuals but are exacrly like what the military used on trailers and handcarts.  Somewhere down the road I'll start looking for tires that more closely match.  I'll have to change out the rims as well since mine have riveted hubs and the manual calls for bolt on rims.  I have the correct hubs but don't yet have a useable pair of bolt on rims.

Best regards and Merry Christmas!
Jim
outlook6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlook6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 11:28am
AC WD45,
I do have a pintle hook that's close to matching the photo.  The only obvious difference is the lower jaw.  I suspect the one I have is a bit more heavy duty since the lower jaw is more substantial.  I intend to use the one I have unless I come across one that more closely matches the photos in the manuals.
Many thanks for the input.
Merry Christmas,
Jim

wbecker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 3:37pm
Jim,
  I sent the PTO guard out UPS today.
Tracking # 1ZRF57760336361628.
Bill B
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 6:02pm
New front rims are available at pretty reasonable prices from some of the suppliers on this forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic