This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3pt Tedder’s?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3pt Tedder’s?
    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 7:30am
OK, this may be a stupid idea but I am looking for a Tedder to do waterways. That being said, it needs to be a 2 star, 3 pt hitch. Does anyone make one that works? I have a NH 255 sitting in the shed but it does not work hitting grass until it dries down some and a real pain in the arse to hook up. I have a Kuhn trailer Tedder that works terrific but can not turn in tight areas. Was wondering if any of you guys have used them? I guess if it does both rake/Ted is a plus but not needed. We rely on Tedder’s in my area so I don’t want to hear they are not needed for hay. Have a neighbor that I listen to all year telling me it’s not necessary but guess where my trailer Tedder is today! Lol
Sponsored Links

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:30pm
I have a 2 basket Frontier tedder, which I believe was made by Tonutti, but it is a pull type. Having said that, it is easy to pull and will go anywhere and get into some tight places. Short hitch, so backing it up can be an adventure, but is doable.

Seems Vermeer makes a nice 2 basket tedder that will double as a rotary rake, but I believe it is also a pull type. Bring a well stocked checkbook.
JLS retired View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLS retired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 5:36pm
why a 3 pt.? pull type is much easier to set to height(and leave). 12 yr old daughter use to hook up by herself.(married and gone now) bolted a scrap of iron on the rake for a drawbar and could pull both from one farm to another. 3 pt was a scam perpetrated by Ford/Fergeson's lawyers. Snap coupler Forever!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 7:35pm
There are 2 around here. Both Green. They might be Fronter sold by JD. I've never had an actual tedder. I did have the old AC pto rake/tedder combo. Worked good on level ground but not on uneven ground. But I agree with you. My hay ground gets no breeze, takes forever to dry. If I ever find a decent 2 0r 3 basket pull type I'll grab it.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:23pm
I have a Lely two basket three point hookup I bought used. It’s designed to turn the tines and it will rake also but it’s not very efficient raking. I like a three point but I have moved on to a Vermeer 4 basket trailed type. I still use the Lely on small fields. I have found that once I set it I usually don’t mess with the adjustment because you can lift it and go on your way.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:50pm
Will the 3pt Lely catch all the grass equal to the Vermeer? Our waterways are very narrow, uneven ground, have corn/beans along the sides. In the past we either just mow and leave or bale wet most of the time. With that being said, they grow very quickly and have moisture good for hay growth. At 50$ a round bale, hard to just waste so if I could get dry would make high volume. I don’t have enough room using my pull type Tedder and end up throwing hay all over the corn/beans. If I used a 3pt, think I could have a little more control. I’m not a 3pt fan but most of our tractors have it so can just leave hooked up. I have used the NH 255 for this in the past but it does not work on green hay so it defeats the purpose in my opinion. It does a fair job raking.

Edited by allisbred - 10 Jun 2021 at 8:51am
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 8:34am
If memory serves, the small Vermeer 3 point tedders were made by Lily. Seems to be the case with most tedders. Made in Europe (many in Italy) but with US branded decals put on them.

But once a tedder is up and running, be it 3 point or pull type, action would be the same. You can control where the tedder throws the hay a lot by engine RPM's. Only advantage I can see to the 3 point would be manuvering in tight quarters. I pull mine with the D15, which will turn on a dime and give you change.

BTW, what grass are you baling off these waterways?  Dad was a big fan of Reed's Canarygrass on waterways. But if it was wet, it would be late before the waterway would dry enough to get on it. By the time it had gone to seed, it would be 6 feet tall and heavy. Some of the hardest conditions I've ever run into was baling that stuff. So heavy that even with a single windrow, I'd be running wide open in first gear and having to clutch it to keep from slugging down or shearing a pin. Bales dropping every 10 feet or less. And by that time, nearly worthless as hay.

Canarygrass is some interesting stuff. Get it early and some say it is as palatable and nutriceous as timothy. Let it go mature and is inedible.....good only as bedding. Not even good garden mulch as it has the seed heads, which will then take root and take over.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 8:48am
Most are K-31 which lodges terrible and needs to cut fairly short. On the plus side, when cutting through an alfalfa field 4-5 times a year and hit a waterway, still makes a lot of volume do to the moisture held in the waterways. I know what you are talking about with the canary grass getting rank, that’s why we use the k-31 but that canary grass dries down nicer if you can make it right and may have been why your dad liked to use it.

Edited by allisbred - 11 Jun 2021 at 5:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic