This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

303 oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 303 oil
    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 10:23am
I have used the 303 oil in hydraulics and tranny of D-17 series 1, WD45 & 7030.  Also in a AC 6140.Members of this site do not reccommend the 303 oil. What is wrong with the 303 oils? We do not use the tractors for farming. Mainly for brush hogging & sno plowing.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 10:48am
"303" is an oil spec, which started with the 4010/3010 John Deere in 1961. Todays oils, 821-821XL-Permatran, etc have evolved to a much better oil for todays wet brake and transmission clutch pack designs. I think the tractors you have will get along just fine with a good quality "303" oil.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 10:51am
303 prolly ok for the '45 and '17, I would NOT use in the 7030 and 6140, there are additives, different refinements in the oil for the later tractors, use a 821 spec oil in the 7030 and 6140, prolly will save some hydraulic/trans/rear end/PD/wet brakes serious problems...
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 10:57am
Now, remember...…..A 3020/4010 had wet brakes and closed center hydraulics. That's why 303 oil was invented.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 11:44am
yea Dr.,, I remember,,and it was made from sperm whales , even JD has upgraded their recommendations...
Stanley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 6:54pm
Thanks for the info
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:07pm
Here's what I use in the One Hundred Series,, seems to work great!

Edited by DougG - 02 Apr 2020 at 8:08pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Here's what I use in the One Hundred Series,, seems to work great!
What is it ?
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:24pm
Grrr the pic didnt go through,, its Extreme Pure Flo,, yellow bucket , good stuff

Edited by DougG - 02 Apr 2020 at 8:26pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:26pm
Thanks Wink
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:52pm
Hey, I like that bucket! Never seen one with a handle on the bottom.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 5:11am
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 5:37am

Yea I wouldn't use that 303 stuff from TSC to oil a chain with much less use it in a hydraulic system.Its very cheap for a reason.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 8:26am
Started with Mystic(s) at TSC in early 2000's.
Spoke with an ex-A-C mechanic that ran/recommended Schaeffer products in pullers he built/ran of his own but he felt strongly that Traveller brand from TSC was good enough for all of the old D-Series that I ran.
Showed be some units he had torn down for repair and some brought in for re-work to be made into pullers, most using the Traveller brand as TSC was putting more stores in.
Never had an issue with Traveller brand myself and for 5-10.00 more a bucket AND with  821 spec on the bucket, have no reason to even try 303.
Most of my (12 total) units have leaks and a fair amount of hours so see no reason to buy the high end stuff from JD or Case-IH.
Just my opinion but no plans to bring a bucket of 303 home, no matter how cheap the price . . . .
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 12:30pm
 Back in the 70's when we got the 170, we bought Havoline oil from the Texaco company or the DX brand of oil and the delivery man had oil that he recommended and that was the 303. Had no problems with it, summer or winter.  Then the local farm co-op mill bought out the Texaco dealer for his truck, tanks and costumers... and soon were selling FS/Farmland fuel and oil. So we switched to their recommended hydraulic oil, 'quicklift' and used that for years.
 The Co-op's diesel fuel was reformulated and had cleaning additives and our tractors started smoking and lacking power...changed out the fuel filters and they would run better for a short while. Finally put a filter on the tank and third change of filters on the diesel tractors which ended the lack of power. Guess the main barrel was getting cleaned too from the old diesel fuel residues that had settled out over the years.
 Back to the hydraulic oil, the Co-op got high priced on their quick lift oil and I bought Farm&Fleet hydraulic oil, much cheaper and had the same body weight, pour ability and spec'ed out better than the quicklift, so used it for years and they went up in price. One day I was at tractor supply and seen 303 oil in the yellow pails and I thought back to the 303 we use to use and bought several pails of it and changed out the loader tractor hydraulic oil and filter. I had noticed the oil flowed a little thicker than what I remembered the original oil did and thought it wasn't 'diluted' as much with lighter oil additives ... yea, come winter, and got down to 10 above, the tractor started harder and at 10 below, the 170's pump was leaking out through the end plate gasket. Ran it until there was a warmer day and the tractor was warmed up I drained it and put the F&F Universal tractor hydraulic oil in and a new filter,  the pump quit leaking and tractor started easier even in the -30 cold.  Used up the rest of the 303 in the D17 tractors since they didn't usually get started in the winter.
 Later I read on the side of the TS 303 pail that it was 'reconditioned' oil.  The original 303 oil years back was not reconditioned oil.
 That's my story and experience of 303 oils.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 12:40pm
I remember some 303 oil being sold a few years back that was not made to spec. Don't know what brand. 
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

Yea I wouldn't use that 303 stuff from TSC to oil a chain with much less use it in a hydraulic system.Its very cheap for a reason.
What's your "engineering/mechanical" PROOF of why it's cheap for a reason ?? What kind of chain are you talking about BTW Ouch ?? We've been running the "yellow" bucket for 20 + years with NO ill effects ??

Edited by FREEDGUY - 03 Apr 2020 at 6:22pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 9:57pm
Rural King used to sell 303 and 821 spec'd oil both in "yellow" buckets so you had to be able to read the label. Don't know what they are selling today but know they have a range of brands and types. Currently have Traveler 821 spec from TSC.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 10:36pm
I was using 303 in most of my stuff then read somewhere, perhaps here or another tractor site that is wasn't to be used on machinery built after 1974.  I think it is 20 wt oil, it says right on the 303 bucket that is shouldn't be used in machinery built after '74. The premium oil TSC sells for around $40. for 5 gallons is 10/30 and is good for all the current machinery.  I've got a couple buckets of 303 in the shed which will probably be used in the older tractors, such as most of my AC's
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 11:06pm
I used to use 303 hyd oil, but changed to the premium oil that meets the 821 spec. Why wait for something to go sideways?? For my own tractors, and for my repair shop, I use the 821 equivilant oil as a preventative measure becasue when something happens, it will be too late.
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

What's your "engineering/mechanical" PROOF of why it's cheap for a reason ?? What kind of chain are you talking about BTW Ouch ?? We've been running the "yellow" bucket for 20 + years with NO ill effects ??

Did you read ANY of the article?
What’s really inside THF 303
So, what actually goes into THF 303? The honest answer is anything and everything. Because there’s no independent party verifying the content of THF 303s, the sky’s the limit for what types of fluids these products can contain. And that’s a major problem. 

Often, THF 303 contains high levels of a fluid called flush oil. What is flush oil? On any given day, a lubricants production line may create many different fluids. To prevent cross-contamination between products, the entire production line is flushed with an inexpensive oil between production cycles, removing any residue from the line. 

The problem with flush oil
While flush oil plays an important role inside a lubricants production facility, it was never meant to be used by consumers. Its job is to collect leftover fluids, so once it’s been used, it becomes a stew of any number of chemical elements that were never intended to be combined.

Maintaining a tractor’s hydraulic system depends on a finely tuned balance of precise ingredients. But because flush oil doesn’t follow a recipe, there’s no way to control its chemical makeup or its blend of additives, meaning there’s no way it can truly protect your equipment.

Time is running out for THF 303 manufacturers
Recently, states have begun cracking down on THF 303 manufacturers. In multiple cases, government regulators found that THF 303s fail to meet their claimed specifications. What’s more, these regulators have found that THF 303s are so underperforming that equipment damage is likely to result from use.

Because of their fraudulent claims, the sale of THF 303s has been banned in several states. As the truth about these defective products continues coming to light, many industry experts agree it’s only a matter of time before THF 303s are banned nationwide.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
fourthgeneration View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourthgeneration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 11:43pm
Most 303 have flush oil in them I would only use 303 to start brush fires myself. Some states have banned the sale of 303 for being fraudulent.

Edited by fourthgeneration - 03 Apr 2020 at 11:44pm
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:15am
I've just quit cheaping out and buy Hytran. Yes it's expensive but you know what you're getting every single time.
Learning AC...slowly
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

Did you read ANY of the article?
What’s really inside THF 303
So, what actually goes into THF 303? The honest answer is anything and everything. Because there’s no independent party verifying the content of THF 303s, the sky’s the limit for what types of fluids these products can contain. And that’s a major problem. 

Often, THF 303 contains high levels of a fluid called flush oil. What is flush oil? On any given day, a lubricants production line may create many different fluids. To prevent cross-contamination between products, the entire production line is flushed with an inexpensive oil between production cycles, removing any residue from the line. 

The problem with flush oil
While flush oil plays an important role inside a lubricants production facility, it was never meant to be used by consumers. Its job is to collect leftover fluids, so once it’s been used, it becomes a stew of any number of chemical elements that were never intended to be combined.

Maintaining a tractor’s hydraulic system depends on a finely tuned balance of precise ingredients. But because flush oil doesn’t follow a recipe, there’s no way to control its chemical makeup or its blend of additives, meaning there’s no way it can truly protect your equipment.

Time is running out for THF 303 manufacturers
Recently, states have begun cracking down on THF 303 manufacturers. In multiple cases, government regulators found that THF 303s fail to meet their claimed specifications. What’s more, these regulators have found that THF 303s are so underperforming that equipment damage is likely to result from use.

Because of their fraudulent claims, the sale of THF 303s has been banned in several states. As the truth about these defective products continues coming to light, many industry experts agree it’s only a matter of time before THF 303s are banned nationwide.
No, I never read any of the above "propaganda". Let me guess, you don't use Wal Mart  oil either??

Edited by FREEDGUY - 04 Apr 2020 at 5:50pm
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 6:25am

No, I never read any of the above "propaganda". Let me guess, you don't use Wal Mart  oil either??

I haven't used Walmart oil, because I have enough Farm and Fleet oil here to last me a decade.
 There is no "propaganda" in that report. Just the facts about where the flushed oil goes, and what might be in it. As long as 'they' can sell their uncontrolled waste oil, they will sell it, solvents and all.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 7:44am
Feel free to run what you want, your machine, your choice. The original 303 used sperm whale oil as a key ingredient. Sperm whale oil is no longer available, so how can it be meeting the original John Deere 303 spec ? I choose to use an oil/fluid at least stating it meets manufacturer's current specs, even if I don't purchase the manufacturer's house brand.

Here are a couple more articles about the 303 issue.

PQIA_Bulletin_08-21-2018-B1.pdf

Perilously_Obsolete__The_Dangers_of_303_Tractor_Hydraulic_Fluids.pdf
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:16am

Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

After reading up more on the 303 don't think I'd chance soaking an axe head in it to get
the rust off.(LOL)
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 5:39pm
The super cheap stuff is junk for sure - Extreme Pure Flow and others with better quality stanards are good to go in the 100 series etc
wlambs View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wlambs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 5:55pm
used in my tractors but was told no longer made as of aug of 18
185,6080,6060,72 allcrop, roto baler
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 7:04am
I believe 303 is banned in Georgia, Missouri, and North Carolina at this time.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic