This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 Point Hitch Conversion Kits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1953ACWD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 Point Hitch Conversion Kits
    Posted: 06 May 2021 at 5:03pm
I'd like to put a 3 pt. hitch conversion kit on my 1953 WD and came across a couple or three different brands, e.g. Steiner, OK Tractor, etc.  Would anyone care to share with me which brand I might want to consider using or stay away from?  Thank you in advance.
1953 WD - Grandpop bought new, sold to neighbor in 1965, I bought back in 2001, restored 2021; 1974 175 Gas; 1980 5050 Diesel, w/400 Loader
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by 1953ACWD 1953ACWD wrote:

I'd like to put a 3 pt. hitch conversion kit on my 1953 WD and came across a couple or three different brands, e.g. Steiner, OK Tractor, etc.  Would anyone care to share with me which brand I might want to consider using or stay away from?  Thank you in advance.

There are several out there.  Some are from forum sponsors.  I say get the one that looks like the OEM adapter looks like.

Here is a picture, its just a picture, I make no endorsements...Wink

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 5:15pm
theres' 2 styles of conversions, one allows for PTO driven implements,like a tiller.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:00pm
Start saving up for that hernia operation now, along with the visits to the ER for pinched fingers and the chiropractor for the back sprain your going to get. 
  The best one is the OEM style that is like a wishbone and get one for every implement, then leave it connected to the implement and hitch and unhitch like the Snap Coupler was intended to be used. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:14pm
what PaulB says is TRUE... BTDT..
while you're at it, BOLT a top link for EACH implement
that way you don't have to adjust ONE top link every friggin time you change implements....

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:26pm
My newest 45 has some sort of yellow one on it. Looks kinda like the Worksaver design. No name on it anywhere.
One of my wd's has the Y thingy on it ---- not worth a damn as it just flops where ever it wants to go, so really never use that one anymore. GOTTA have mine locked solid so it dint move around other than up and down!
It is a simple one to make for these tractors and I have another one about half done but ended up using the neighbors 706 this year so my hitch is on hold for now!

http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:32pm
Bob.... do you have a specific plan for the 3 point ?  Plow , etc?.... or you just want something light duty to mount a blade and leave it on ???  How many implements,  what use ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
1953ACWD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1953ACWD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:44pm
Steve - I would like to use it for mowing to ensure that it gets used and doesn't just sit in the barn.  We're doing a complete restoration of the WD now and the tractor was in good shape to start with, so it ought to be mechanically sound once we've gone over it completely.  I have a lot of ditches (declines) and would like to mount and leave mounted a 7' Enorossi sickle bar mower.  Our farm also has about 50+ acres of pastures and I plan to use it to clip (at about 8" - not too low) the pastures on occasion.

Edited by 1953ACWD - 06 May 2021 at 6:49pm
1953 WD - Grandpop bought new, sold to neighbor in 1965, I bought back in 2001, restored 2021; 1974 175 Gas; 1980 5050 Diesel, w/400 Loader
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:54pm
so you dont plan to remove the mower too often...

the 3 points are two versions.. one is the U shape and connects under the tractor and can sway side to side easy... you might have to add your own " sway bar" or "chain" to keep it in line... More expensive version is a new FRAME that mounts under the tractor and a standard set of 3 point arms connects to the FRAME.. and normally has built in sway blocks....For your application, i dont think your needing maximum versatility or heavy duty ??? 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:57pm

you may want to look more at COST vs versatility since you will be not removing implements and not heavy use.
1953ACWD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1953ACWD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:10pm
Great; thanks, Steve.  Since the tractor will be designated for mowing only, that sounds like a good idea.  I would like to get the tractor and mower set up right, having everything working as it should, and use it lightly for this task only.

I'm still researching sickle mowers, but am leaning toward Enorossi with its double-action bars.  Marshio makes one, too, but it's about 100 pounds lighter and I sense not as strong.  I thought about an Allis or New Holland sickle mower, but the modern double-action bars seem hard to beat - less plugging, faster mowing. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:37pm
I actually have a "B" that  i mounted a 3 point mower to it... I mounted STATIONARY arms with a hanger chain on each side. No cylinder to lift or position.. Mower sets in ONE POSITION only.... sometimes you dont have to be complicated to get the job done.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 8:11pm
If it was mine, I'd make a simple angle iron (3"x 3" x 1/2") Vee shaped tongue that stays on the mower that has an "eye" and connects to the snap-coupler. Build some lift links and away we go.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 6:03am
The left one in Steves pictures is the only one I know of that can use the PTO.  I'd buy it from Jim at OKTractor.
AaronSEIA
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 6:11am
I made this  'carryall' 18 years ago, it'll carry 3000# logs,use it all the time. Huge fan in making stuff stead of buyig ,if possible. I have 3 of the 2nd pix of adapters above( 1 was homemade..not by me). I've since modiifed this unit with 'swivels' on the lift latches and a bit shorter( raises  higher now).

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 8:34am
Aaron, i dont understand why the factory type U bar could not be used with the PTO ?? Do you think the cross bar is in the way ?  That could be changed.  I think he plans to connect a mower and keep it in the  " lower" position .

Edited by steve(ill) - 07 May 2021 at 8:34am
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 10:36am
I use the pto on my Y type all the time---- nothing in the way on mine.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
1953ACWD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1953ACWD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 12:45pm
Thank you everyone for your help and insight.  We're not exactly sure which way we're going to go with the conversion hitch yet, but I do appreciate your comments.
cpg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 6:59am
This is the setup I have on my WD for running my 6 foot snowblower and 3 point disc. Works good. Built it out of generic parts from Tractor Supply. (Ignore the big chain, that's just my pull stuff out chain that was hanging there).
Burgie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:50am
I like the Cross brand conversion kit. Have several and like them.
"Burgie"
DaveSB View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 5:02pm
I like the original Allis Y type. It’s the only one that will let the traction booster work as intended.    And yes you can run a PTO with it no problem.   Also it is the absolute best for using a 3 point plow or other 3 point implements requiring traction booster operations.    With this hitch I can’t tell the difference when using a snap coupler plow or a 3 point plow.   
1948 C, 1953 CA, 1948 WD, 1961 D-17 Series 2 Diesel, 1939 WC, 1957 D14
1953ACWD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1953ACWD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 5:12pm
Thanks, Dave.  Was this an Allis-Chalmers conversion kit or was it made by a 3rd party? Any idea where I might find one?
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 6:41am
I would recommend getting the 80S side mounted sickle mower, they are slick and you can still use a draw bar. You will not have to deal with a 3pt and a stiff neck as you can see what your doing. Also think you will be money ahead and have a better setup. I’m not sure without using the newer mowers that you would gain that much.

Edited by allisbred - 30 May 2021 at 6:44am
DaveSB View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 7:53pm
They were originally designed by Allis. We bought ours from an Allis dealer In the early 80’s. They are made aftermarket, but not exactly the same. The original had a spot on the crossmember that goes between the 2, 3 point arms that you connect the top link to on ground engageing implements. It has a sway control piece that I don’t think anyone makes anymore.   Best to find an original but hard to find the complete setup, but one could be made. It also had a separate top link mount that hooked under the seat for non traction boost needed implements.
1948 C, 1953 CA, 1948 WD, 1961 D-17 Series 2 Diesel, 1939 WC, 1957 D14
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic