This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2-point to 3-point hitch CA conversion question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2-point to 3-point hitch CA conversion question.
    Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 6:03pm
Recently acquired a 52 CA.  It has what I believe to be a 2-point hitch.  Is it possible, "standard", to mount the new style top-link bracket to the Rockshaft to make it a 3-point hitch.  I am hoping to avoid the cost of finding an old drawbar and new 3 point hitch system.

Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 6:29pm
What you have looks pretty shakey, but you can just weld a bracket for the top link right to the rock shaft. Thats how mine is and it works well. I would not use that 11 hole draw bar to pull anything. if you don't have sway braces and lift lock bars it will sway all over the place. It will however work for 3pt equipment. If your planing on using a mower you'll need crossed sway chains to keep it behind you. and you can forget the top link for the mower. lifting it off the ground lightens the front of the tractor to dangrously unstable unless you add a bunch of wieghts.
bitburn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 7:53pm
Thanks for a quick response Dakota Dave.

I now know:
A rear mount mower on a CA will require front weight if I need to lift it at all.
My current setup requires sway braces, lift lock bars and crossed sway chains.

If I get the aftermarket draw bar mounted 3-point hitch, would I still need sway braces and lift lock bars?
If I get the aftermarket wrap around top link bracket, would it need to be welded?

I need to start weighing out the costs between adding more support or getting all new, as well as getting a brush mower with a height adjustable deck or adding front weight.

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 11:29am
Here is a picture of how my top link is welded on. When I use a 3pt mower on it I just don't use the top link. You can just run a chain from the top link mount down to each lower pin and use it as both a lower stop and sway at the same time. I don't have any pictures of my 3pt installed, but you can see how the factory drawbar would be setup.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 12:30pm
that looks sketchy as hell, but I dont see why you couldnt.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
JHerrmann View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHerrmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 6:25pm
I'm trying to make a 2 point like that one for my 53 CA so I can use my finish mower. Any chance you could send me measurements for the arms? I just need the lengths between the bends and total length.
DSpears N IL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSpears N IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 8:37pm
I fabricated my on snap coupler to 3 point adapter to use my rototiller with my CA!
I have an earlier version that was more like a conventional 3 point with pinned lift arms.
I use the snap coupler adapter most of the time!
DeWayne

DaveSB View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 4:25pm
You can just weld on the top link brackets to the rock shaft or buy a bolt on one. I have a 52 CA also and I have the standard 3 point conversion that resembles the AC one, kinda looks like a Y in my opinion. I have a bolt on top link bracket that works great and doesn’t move on me.
As far as lifting the finish mower, I use a Woods 5’ 3 point mower and it lifts it with no problem, doesn’t seem to make front end light at all, however I can’t pick up my 3 point disc without having weight on the front.
1948 C, 1953 CA, 1948 WD, 1961 D-17 Series 2 Diesel, 1939 WC, 1957 D14
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 5:05pm
I also have a 52 Ca with a Cross MFG 3 point on it, I have a 50 gallon boom sprayer on the 3 point with no issues at all being light in the front end I've also had my 5 foot bush hog on it with no issues, I do have engine side weights on it.
SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 8:28pm
This is the one I made for my WD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic