This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

220 hydraulics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddnwIl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 220 hydraulics
    Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 4:53pm

This piece split on us last year. My dad was mowing with it and it split. Know today I was going down the road and raised the 3pt hitch and it split. When the hydraulics dead head my relief valve must not be releasing. So my question is where do we start to look for our problem. Is it in the pump or the valve stack? Looking at agco parts book that piece is still a valiable!
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 11:04pm
System pressure is to be 2,200 psi MAX. The main relief valve must be the problem, but why would it start acting up on its own? They cannot adjust themselves. You'll need a 3000 psi gauge to plug into a remote outlet and test/adjust the main relief which is at the left front corner of the console with an acorn nut. DO NOT exceed 2,200 psi while you gently feather the remote lever !! Remove acorn nut and adjust pressure downwards probably 1/2 turn to begin with. This has failed twice in less than a year ??
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 11:09pm
The system relief is set too high or stuck. You must put a pressure gauge in outlet to check and adjust accordingly. Often a weak pump gets the relief cranked up to try making it perform better then when the pump is replaced with a good one the relief is TOO HIGH and bang! Ask how I know.....
ToddnwIl View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddnwIl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 8:28am
This 220 has bin more of a parade tractor since I've owned. Just in the last couple years have we started using it. Since we started using it we have had nothing but hydraulic pump problems. I'm guessing the previous owner prolly messed with the preasure relief valve and that's bin most of my problems.
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 8:47am
Too bad you you lost a second pump. Checking the pressure periodically would be good maintenance and really pretty easy and quick as long as it falls in range. A lot of hydraulic power line construction equipment prescribe checking relief pressures in the preventative maintenance schedule. Some have gauges to monitor pressure while operating. 
Our 190XT had some problems for a while breaking pumps, weak to lift etc. We ended up replacing the relief valve because for some reason the old one would not hold adjustment consistently. We also found the threads on the through bolts for the pump were pulled over a bit  after one pump cracked. I suspect if they stretch in length slightly it  wont keep the pump sections squeezed together creating a weak link that lets the pressure crack the pump housing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic