This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2018 Silverado suspension noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2018 Silverado suspension noise
    Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 3:05pm
Been hearing a bumping noise from the rear of my truck . Did a search and found it may be coming from the leaf springs . Anyone else have this problem and know the fix ? Called the dealer and of course they had no clue . Thanks !!
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 3:35pm
I've not heard the specific noise you mention but if certain it is from the leaf springs, there are a couple of things you can do for the short, and long term. 

Jack the rear of the truck up and place jack stands under the frame just forward of the leaf spring front mounts and remove rear tires for ease of access. If you have tall stands you can support at rear of the frame also. Using a tapered piece of hardwood, or plastic, drive this piece between the spring leafs spreading them and spray graphite wet to dry slip lube of some sort between the spring leafs. A heavy dry grease will work also but you don't want something that will draw dust or dirt. Do this with each spring leaf front and rear of the drive axle.

Second and more permanent option is using nylon slip pads adhesive attached to the leaf spring leaf ends These are very thin and tough but must be attached correctly to remain in place.

What I suspect you have is the spring leaves slightly rusting together when the truck sits. This rust bond breaks with slight road jarring and is very audible at times. I've seen this on many trucks and cars through the years although have never worked on your described vehicle type.

The second option is best performed by a spring shop as they will select the nylon pad thickness and have the expertise to install them correctly.

Edited by Codger - 06 Jul 2023 at 3:36pm
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 4:14pm
Thanks Rob. From what I see online it looks like a fairly common problem. Don't know why the dealership seemed unaware of it. May crawl under my truck and see if I can find something loose. Thanks again
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 6:21pm
Back in the 60s one of my fathers Co-Workers brought brand new Ford car. From day 1 it had an odd "clunk" when going around corners. Dealers were no help, mechanics were no help, no one had any solutions. The fellow tried to get the dealer to take back the car, although at the time there were no "lemon Laws". After a few years the car was wrecked in the rear quarter panel were a Coke bottle was found with a note in it "Took You Long Enough Didn't it" Big smile
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 8:46pm
I've never found anything like that in a car taken apart long after it was built but over the years when still fixing wrecked cars from the 60's I used to find a lot of snack bags and such shoved into crooks and crannies plenty. Somewhere around here I have a "Frito's" bag from about 1969 with the "Frito Bandito" character on the package front. I kept it as found it in 1979 shoved into the core support, (radiator support these days) of a 68 Impala that was a friends father's car purchased new by him. Also found a "Giant Robot" character from the "Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot" TV show of the day, (1960's) and the last thing I remember was a 1967 something TV Guide that was stiff but the pages could be read. This had advertisements from the Detroit, MI area in it so had been there since the car was built. I want to say that was a 1968 Chevrolet Biscayne car so probably and early production unit.

Here is something I found on the Johnny Sokko production:

A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 9:18am
Is the thumping noise associated with starting and stopping?
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 12:05pm
No, mostly hear it at low speeds on uneven road. Thanks!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 1:01pm
clearance between the spring leaves is a common problem.. Some have put in plastic/ rubber spaces as mentioned above... Some have tried Band Clamps or Straps to pinch the leaves closer together to eliminate the GAPS.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 6:24pm
Thanks guys for all the good info. I'll see what I can figure out soon.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 1:13am
had that center bolt break once on my 1 ton, by looking at it, it looked fine, but it was broke and made the noises you describe.  
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 7:36am
Ordered a pack of Spring Thing shims. Hopefully they'll fix the noise. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic