This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2017 reforestation project.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 10:05pm
Got a shelf made and planted more acorns, hopefully we can get a good batch of seedlings going to plant this summer.

I see junior snuck his aloe plant in the shelf too. He grew that in gardening class at summer school.

Off to a good start! Hopefully they all take off.

Thanks for looking.

The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 1:58am
By the time Jr. has kids and they grow up, they could be worth a few $$$.
I've been doing it for years with Oaks, Maples, Butternuts and Walnuts.  Leaving the Great Grand Kids something...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:21am

Well,,I'm one of the biggest suckers (no pun intended) on doing my share of plantin, grafting and even goin from seed when I find some interestin,,,,,Wink 
Right now, I have 8 aspen and 10 cottonwood and 2 red maple " trees" growin in 5 gallon tubs. These are from cuttings I borrowed from donor trees,,,,,ummmm somewhere,,Wink The parents were some really beautiful fall colored yellows and orange trees I had been watching,,so I borrowed some cuttings and after 2 years, so far,  are doing really great. My plan is to transplant them to the ranch up in the mountains next year. I absolutely LOVE the Crepe Myrtle ones too but I have tried and tried to grow some from cuttings but no luck so far,,,,I gots my eye on 4 trees downtown that are so beautiful,, I'll have to try and borrow some more next month,,,,,Wink  
 I have bout 10 apple seeds in an envelope in  the fridge  from 2 trees up in the mountains, we ran across on an Elk hunt last year. The apples were big for mountain apples and just so dang sweet,,I just had to save some and will plant them in the spring. Thet owner lady,,, UMmm,,, caught us borrowin some of the apples,,but she finally let us keep the bag we had already picked after I told her my favorite obama joke,,,,LOL 
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 6:53pm
Joe, crepe myrtles do great down here, cept I cant get ours to bloom worth a cuss. Too shady I recon. I have gotten them to root from just cuttings that I pushed up in a burn pile with the loader. Guess they got in some good wet dirt in there and took off.
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 9:48pm
Hay Joe you do know the seeds from a apple will not grow the exact same kind cause the pollen came from a different tree. The odds are super high the apples from seeds will not be good. That is why you graft apples and about all stone fruit, grapes and nut trees. But you knew that since you said you have grafted Wink ,or where meaning something elseLOL.
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 8:54pm
Well, the biggest sprout seems to have stopped growing. I am wondering if its root bound in that cup already?

Well, we eat enough ice cream around here that we can remedy that, no problem.

It wasn't root bound, but now we know. Maybe a guy should plant them in clear cups...

Plenty of room in its new pad. Shoved some food spikes in and gave it a good drink. We shall see.

We have 11 seedlings showing out of 19, so doing good so far.  I'm hoping to nurse the next batch along awhile, then take half up to my dads just to see where they grow better.

Going to try melting snow for some fresh water to use instead of the bleach that comes out of my faucet...

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:30pm

Well, the seedlings are coming along pretty good, time to transplant some more.

Sure enough, the roots are starting to circle in the bottom of the cups.

You can see the acorns yet

Shoving in some food spikes for a snack

We plant them, water them and the potting mix settles about an inch. Fill the buckets up level full again.

Man, this guy is doing well. Leaves almost as big as my hand. I do not know how the stem can hold them up.

So, I hope they survive the transplanting.  I read somewhere that the best time to plant oaks is in the fall. The way these guys are going, I'm going to have to transplant them into 55 gallon barrels mid summer. I still can't believe they are growing on city water.

The coveted spot in front of the patio door at Grandpa Marvin's is currently occupied by a wood rack- he keeps a little woodpile right in the kitchen for the wood stove and it dries up real nice basking in the sun. As soon as that is out, I can start hauling trees up there for some sun and nitrogen rich well water.

Going to make a trip to the local nursery and see if they have any advice.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by littlemarv - 12 Mar 2019 at 9:35pm

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:46pm
Here is one of the apple trees that we planted simply because Carter was eating an apple right before we planted the acorns awhile back. Sheesh.

And this one is kind of interesting. It shot a sprout around Christmastime, but it died shortly thereafter. It just sat on the windowsill, now I looked at it tonight and it has another shoot again. Life finds a way, I guess.

Oh yeah, Carter and I both gave up ice cream for lent, so we are out of transplant containers for awhile. Probably didn't think that one through....

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 4:36am
 Hey LittleMarv,,,sure glad to see your helper interested in horticulture and develop thet "Green Thumb" while doin it. That lady that I "borrowed" the apples for seed donors laughed at me cause she asked me,,,How long do you plan to live as them apple trees will take several years to produce fruit?" I just looked her straight in the eyes and said,,,'As long as it takes, Ma'am, As long as it takes"  Chit,,,, if we gonna give up doin the things we love just cause it might take some time to get done,,,we never will get nuttin done,,,right,,,??? 'Sides,,,I plan to keep goin for ,,,,,,,,,for,,,,'nother 37 years,,,,,Clap tha'd be a lot of apple trees,,,,,,,ClapClap
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 8:24am
MARV!!!! I can help you eat ice cream! and JOE...if'n you want cottonwood trees, I can furnish you with a couple thousand! you gotta dig and haul them...I guess I could help ya dig some with the backhoe...
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 5:30pm
Trees looking good.  If you want you can fill some large buckets or tubs with water and the chlorine will evaporate in a day or two.  We have  a plastic 50 gallon drum sitting under one of the downspouts we use for flower and garden water in the warmer months.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:21am
I have to do some reading,,,,,,,,,,,,unless somebodys got some pictures,,,,,,,,on how to
'graft' a tree.  I have an apple tree that has the BEST apples and it is SO old,,,,,,probably as old as me???  Anyhow,,,,,,,,I hear that if you take the seeds and plant them, it reverts to whatever and not like what I have.

Anybody know how to do this??  Maybe I should start another thread Ryan??
"Allis-Express"
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 2:28pm
Just look it up don't look to hard but supposed to be growing and have a leave starting to come out and takes a couple years to produce
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 7:28pm
This is the first time I saw this thread. I haven't planted any trees probably since bfore Dad died, 10 years ago. I think he and I planted several hundred trees, starting in the late 70's. A lot were Norway spruce, and they are 40 foot tall now.
 I have tried to dig up very small oaks out of my sister in laws flower beds, and could never get one to grow. I pick up a few acorns last fall, guess I need to get them in some dirt. Gotta set up my seed starting rig in the basement for my heirloom maters, so I guess I'll put some acorns in there too.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 11:46pm
there's a knack to graft a tree...I tried several times and it never worked for me.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 12:09am
I've transplanted about 50 maple trees up to the farm.  I've currently got 4 (YEP, thas right, FOUR) growin.  The DEER like em better than anything else.  These last bunch I've built a cage out of chicken wire and put around them.  Figured out that you HAVE to put in some BIG stakes to hold the cages in place, or the deer still get me.

I've read up and looked at youtube stuff to 'graft' trees, but I've tried several times and had NO luck so far....  These apples are sweet / tart.  A wonderful apple.  Grrreaat for eating, but no so good for cooking.  Too moist.

That Aloe plant that Carter has growing, is that because it's one of those 'necessities' ? Ouch
"Allis-Express"
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:41am
Ted, what are you doing planting Maple trees? Around here they grow by the millions, all volunteer! They are one notch down on my hit list for trees to come down in the off season right after mulberry. I'll bet I went through 8 or more quarts of Tordon this fall/winter working on the excess trees around the farm.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 10:59pm
Planting day 2019.

Grandpa Marvin has been tending to the trees, and hardening them up little by little, they reside outside on the deck for a few weeks, then in the ground they go.

Junior was the last one to load up, so he got to hold the barrel. Stopped in the creek to get some water. Notice how the gator fits in to ONE tire track from the tractors hauling manure to the field across the creek.

Tried things a little different this year. Just dug a small hole, then cut around the bottom of the bucket and slit down the side. A little compost in the hole, set the bucket down, slide the bottom out, put dirt around the sides, then lift the bucket out.

A little more compost, a little mulch,

Trying to stretch my fencing dollar. Planted them individually and cut a 50' roll into 14 pieces, so the cages are only about 15" in diameter. We will see if this works, or we may have to revamp them later. A little chicken wire around the bottom as well.

Gave everybody a shot of water as well. Planted 12 Oak trees and two apple trees. Some in full sun, some in half a days shade, some up in the higher part, and some in the wetlands. I guess time will tell.

Simple pleasures

That dog does not sit down much. Surprised I caught him relaxing.

We have one more small batch to plant this summer. Dreamt up one more hairbrained idea I have to try....

Thanks for looking!

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 3:36am
 Hey LittleMarv,,,you done GOOD,,,,by golly,,!! You definately gots a great green thumb,,,,!!Clap
 I have no idea what happened with my Apple seed project as they all sprouted in the styrofoam cups, got bout 1/2" high,,then they all just shriveled up and keeled over,,,,,GRRrrrrr,,!! Can't figure that one out,,,,,,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 3:42am
Joe...go talk to that young man...in order for you to be a certified "shade tree mechanic" you gotta have the shade of the trees. i'm sure he could help you out a lot! (poke,poke)
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 8:06am
Ryan,
Really enjoyed reading through this for the beginning! Your involvement with your kids and family is great! Plant some hard maples on the high ground too!
Trees! Yes and having them to stand under on a hot sunny day! Nice work! Especially ones you have planted!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 9:21am
 Hey Shameless,,,,,,but I DO have one nice big Mulberry tree that I use  when the carport is full of other projects,,,, bout 2 months ago,,I traded some work for 4 metal trusses for a Lean-to but can't decide where to put it,,,? They are 24' long and should give me a pretty good sized shade footprint,,,,then I won't have to answer the phone with,,,
"Shade tree enterprises",,,,,LOLLOL
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 10:34am
What then, Lean To Enterprises? Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 10:57am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey LittleMarv,,,you done GOOD,,,,by golly,,!! You definately gots a great green thumb,,,,!!Clap
 I have no idea what happened with my Apple seed project as they all sprouted in the styrofoam cups, got bout 1/2" high,,then they all just shriveled up and keeled over,,,,,GRRrrrrr,,!! Can't figure that one out,,,,,,

Wink You don't think somebody came and got O'L Hungry to be  Confused claiming the seedlings? Cause we do we have known gas tank filler LOL amongst us. Generally kind of proud of how much he fills them up.LOLLOLLOL

Marv you spacing the trees just right so you can put your hammock up to get some good summer nappes in.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 10:26pm
When we planted acorns in the Solo cups, I discovered that by the time a green shoot came up, the roots were already circling in the bottom.  Apparently, the taproot goes down first.

Alright you little buggers, lets see what you got.

Took a piece of 4" PVC and cut it into 4 pieces. Plugged one end with plastic plugs. Mix up a little compost and potting soil, a little water, and the best 4 looking acorns go in. I'm not sure how long those acorns from last fall will keep in the fridge downstairs.

I figure I can dig a hole with a hand post hole digger, and drop them in. Maybe slit the pipes lenghthways with a cutoff wheel first to get them out?

I wonder if a fellow could plant them in some thick cardboard shipping tubes? Those would be biodegradable and you could stick them in the ground and leave them, if they survived the couple weeks of watering.

Thanks for looking.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 10:01pm
Well, I'd say the pipe idea worked pretty well, these four are about 12-14" tall!

One more trip up to grandpa's, load er up with fence, posts, mulch, the boy, and the dog.

Slit the bottom half of the pipes in two. Then wrap them with duct tape to hold it together, and cut the top half. Tape it as well.

Weed whacked four spots, dug holes with the post hole digger, worked really well!

Held the pipes, junior slit the duct tape, set it in the hole, fill in the hole with a compost/ dirt mix, and slide each half up and out. Pretty slick, but couldn't get a picture as all hands were busy making the transfer.

Cover with compost and mulch, shove a big food spike next to each one. Up with the fence and the chicken wire.

I peeled back the sod in one area, dumped the rest of the bag of acorns in, spread them out, covered them in compost, and put my homemade cage over it. Laid the sod around it to keep the critters out.

We are just going to let these go and see what happens. If we get some good saplings growing in there, we can transplant them out to replace any that don't make it. There were two the last time that didn't look good when we planted them and they never recovered.

So there. Have a pretty nice little field going here. A couple of the maples from the first year  are above the cages already.

Boy, I sure hope all these take off. It may not look like much, but we put a lot of time (and money) into this project. But its well worth it.

I went and cut all the weeds out of the cages last year. I wonder if the trees wouldn't do better in the shade of the goldenrod?

We were in a hurry to get to a baseball game. Every time we go up there we are in a hurry. I didn't even look at all the other trees, or even count them. There has to be 20-30 or more.

Thanks for looking!

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 2:58pm
Friends neighbor buys a white 3' plastic tube from greenhouse digs hole put seeds in drives post set plastic tube or 4" field tile and fastens to a steel fence post tree grows up through tube no lower limbs deer can't rub or chew them off when tree gets size of tube has a split in it you just slide tube off and tree is big enough that the deer don't bother
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 8:09pm
2021 edition:

We are too busy to be planting seeds in Solo cups and transplanting and all that, so this year, we took whoevers advise from the second post on this topic.

Picked up a couple handfuls of helicopters and a bag of topsoil. Peeled the sod back, dumped in some soil, and scattered the seeds.

Gave them a good soaking

And put up three cages with chicken wire around the bottom to keep the critters out. Also wrapped two in burlap to give them some shade, cause over the years I've noticed they seem to do better in shady areas.

Darwinism, do your thing! May the best seed win! Planted three cages worth.

The silver maples are all doing pretty well, maybe lost two or three so far.

The oaks from last year are not doing so well, we have a pretty high mortality rate so far. But, one or two are still hanging in there. We shall see.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 10:11pm
I agree Marv.... I dont know how an OAK tree ever grows in the wild... I have planted hundreds of acorns and after 6-7 years your lucky if  10% live and are 2 ft tall... Makes you wonder.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 10:06am
It is easy to grow oaks, disturb the soil covering acorns. Then put simazine weed killer down. Oh the other thing, I was not trying to start trees. They just grew by accident.  My dad wanted me to kill them off. Most are still here doing well. I should of thinned some. Wish I could move several as they are to close to power lines, but other wise in good places to have more shade.

Wink The weather being favorable is also very important here as rain varies from 8  inches  to 60  per year. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic