This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2003 Chevy truck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2003 Chevy truck
    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 8:06pm
I have a 2003 Chevy work truck with the 4.3 engine. It runs like a champ but about once a week it will develop a issue where the motor will stutter and stammer and the check engine light will flash but not be steadily on. After about ten seconds all will be well again. I want to correct this issue but when I plug in my code scanner it doesn't read any active codes. How can I find out what this once a week flashing but never constant engine code is? Thanks in advance, Ryan
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 10:58pm
sounds like a loose connection on the puter somewhere, may hafta start wiggling some wires?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 1:55am

Them friggin GM's are notorious for havin issues with loose ground wires and the hardest to find,,,,!!  After I retired from the refinery,, the owner of the local GM dealer asked me to go help them at the Service dept and I think that was one of the biggest complaints we were always workin on on the older GM cars and trks.. We had this one long timer tech that was the best at finding them loose ground wires,,,so like ole Shameless says,,start engine turn on lights and start pushin pullin wires, a lot of them had a ground wire loom right behind the left side of engine and almost impossible to reach,,,Good Luck,,!!
sho-man1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sho-man1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 8:09am
Does it show this upon startup or driving around town or on the highway?
Son's 2002 GMC with the 4.3 had #5 misfire all the time. We checked fuel pump, fuel pressure, pressurized fuel system leak down test, cylinder pressure check and leak down test. new spark plugs and wires, new distributor. Just about everything verified good or replaced. only thing we did not check was valve springs...sold truck...Buddy with a suburban v8 would get a random misfire and stutter when driving into a 20-25 mph headwind...even had a service manager drive a few days and damn'd if it did it to him while driving into a string headwind...he thought it was distributor( nope).
We called it the "Casper Caper" ghost showed up throw a code then disappear...
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 8:24am
Try running some sea foam in the gas for quite a few tanks full. Don't worry about putting too much in. Whenever my suburban starts acting up like that, that's what I do. If i remember, I just put a couple cans full in about every third tank full. If I forget, it reminds me, by acting just like you described. My burb has the 8.1 in it though. Maybe that makes a difference. Darrel
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 9:59am
Have you replaced the cap and rotor lately? Mine would get to running rough, power would drop off. Replace cap and rotor with quality cap and rotor from NAPA would fix the problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic