This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

200 Implements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 200 Implements
    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:53am
Wondering what sizes of implements I should be looking for to pull with the 200. We have an 8 shank JD chisel plow that at 6-8in it doesnt seem to care very much. We are going to be looking at cultivators and a bigger disk in the future possibly and wondered what sizes to look for. My grandfather has been no till for most my life and at the time they did tillage a 190 gas was the biggest so not much knowledge to go off on for  a bigger diesel. Current tillage setup is the chisel, a light little 8 foot JD disk, and a Frontier 3pt mulch finisher. Let me know what you guys run or ran.

heres examples of what we have. The chisel was a 12 i took the wings off to make an 8.

Edited by Rhoadesy_65 - 12 Feb 2020 at 8:59am
Farmin' with 1981 7010 PD, Great Grandpas 1947 Farmall H, JD 7000 planter, JD model B drill, NH 316 Baler, NH 1411 Discbine ,JD 100 8 Shank Chisel. Darke County OH
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:19am
All I'm going to say is this: a model 200 with bald tires and without any fluid in the tires or extra wheel weights may only weigh 9,000 lbs with a cab on it. It will surely not be able to "pull" what another 200 can that has good rear rubber with fluid and/or wheel weights and tips the scales at 12,000 lbs. The 94 HP doesn't mean a thing if you can't get the traction to use it.
Rhoadesy_65 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:28am
You make a good point, I forgot to add how the tractor is set up. Ive got a full set of suitcase weights up front. I believe the rear tires are loaded as well. I would post a picture but i says its too big so ill have to edit it down I guess.
Farmin' with 1981 7010 PD, Great Grandpas 1947 Farmall H, JD 7000 planter, JD model B drill, NH 316 Baler, NH 1411 Discbine ,JD 100 8 Shank Chisel. Darke County OH
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:32am
With a 190XT I've pulled a 9 shank chisel similar to the one you pictured but a Krause. Also an 18-1/2' field cultivator. My cousin used to pull a 20" Krause disk with his 190XT but to me that was too big but there is a wide range of heft for disks. I think a 20" 2300 Allis disk would be fine but 18' may be better. Around here a 4x18 plow was a good match for that size tractor. And like the good doctor says..... weight and tires make a lot of difference.

Edited by Lonn - 12 Feb 2020 at 9:35am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:46am
My 190XT has good tires, ballast in the rear tires. I just bought factory rear weights for it due to the addition of a AC disk that ends up covering 20ft with the wings unfolded. Pulling a AC 4 bottom plow caused some spin so that’s why I bought the extra weights. In my case Power isn’t an issue, but traction is to a degree. Doc is correct, if it can’t get traction all the power in the world is wasted. From the pictures I don’t see any issue power wise that the 200 can’t handle them. Nothing like hearing a 301 turbo under load working, music to my ears.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:20am
Also depends on soil type
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:13pm
I pulled an 8' bushog pull type chisel with mine. I pulled a 4X16 720 IHC 3 point trailing wheel plow in heavy clay soil. Dad had a heavy 16' IHC disk that would have been a good match for it. It was a Heavy disk.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:51pm
I have your disk right here. AC 2300 20' wide with great tires and good everything else. It would look right smart behind a 200.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 6:14am
I am both surprised and not so surprised at what you guys have said. The hog farm I worked for I pulled a 26' JD cultivator and a double rolling basket with an 8295R, but i suppose that might have just been what they have to use. Ik what I have done with the tractor so far i haven't made it smoke except when I found a tree root with the Chisel and just about stopped the tractor in its tracks. Now I know Id be safe to look for a cultivator in the 12-18foot range and a disk in the same range. Thought about finding some clamp-on duels so they can be taken off but i dont know anything about duels. My primary purpose for this tractor is to make hay, but in exchange for barn space I use it to help dad with his crops. While on the topic, what size mower conditioners have you ran on one? we have a NH 479 right now but the rolls are falling apart (They want like $4K to replace) and this tractor is overkill for it but I like the PD for mowing. Looking at other mowers for cheap I found a 489 and its case version, a 12ft JD swinging Haybine and a rough looking NH Discbine.

Edited by Rhoadesy_65 - 13 Feb 2020 at 6:17am
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 6:37am
Originally posted by Rhoadesy_65 Rhoadesy_65 wrote:

I am both surprised and not so surprised at what you guys have said. 
Well like was said earlier, there is a wide range of soil types and how heavy the piece of equipment is and then there are hills vs flat ground. A 20' 2300 AC disk is a nice match for a 200 in most soils but a 20' 2600 AC disk would stop a 200 in most cases.... unless you are just scratching. With a 20' AC 1200 field cultivator with spikes the 200 would easily pull it. Put 6" sweeps on and it would still pull it fine but a noticeable difference. Now pull a 20' 1400 AC field cultivator with 7" or bigger sweeps and you will notice a big difference. Advance to a more modern Sunflower and you might struggle with a 20'. Things are just heavier and can go deeper with newer implements. Some brands/models require maybe 6 or 7 hp per foot for a field cultivator. At 7 hp per foot a 200 is comfortable with only a 14' unit. An old 1200 or 1300 AC would NOT require that much hp. I pulled my 18-1/2' 1200 with the D19 way back when, that's with spikes.

Edited by Lonn - 13 Feb 2020 at 6:39am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 6:49am
Im trying to get dad to go in on a 12ft 1200 local to use for 500. I told him we could get rid of his soil finisher if we find a harrow for the back and a rolling basket. We paid like $5k for that frontier and it does a nice job but we got it when we got the 74hp Massey 2607H as the big tractor. Id like to get away from a disk and get to a three pass system. Chisel in fall, cultivate and then cultipack in spring. Right now we plow/chisel in fall, disk once or twice, mulch finish, then cultipack. The chisel will make a big difference this year i think because the ground has settled a bit more evenly. Might try the old horseshoe drag behind it this year.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 7:19am
What are you planting that you need to run a cultipack?
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 7:44am
We plant corn with a John Deere 1240 Plate planter with shoes and drill beans and wheat with a John Deere model B drill with double disk opener. We have found that getting with dirt level and fine helps our emergence be more consistent.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:01am
The best experience on the soils you are working and what equipment to do it is right there with you, your Dad.
Just because you have a 200 there is no need to run her flat out by any means by oversizing equipment for a 50 yo workhorse.
Will likely take a few years to get everything broke up like it sounds like you want to after years of no-till so take the time and make the old 200 last.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:14am
This is the fourth year we have been farming this ground. Its all ground we havent farmed before grandpa is still going strong. The first year I borrowed the 8295R and the 2720 Disk Ripper from the bosses and ran that over the 12 acres we had then. I still to this day am dealing with compaction on the headland by the house. The previous farmer was no till before us and they must have ran the semi down the same spot for years. We picked up 5 more acres this year so excited to get into that too it was no till and a seed test plot. As i said i dont make anything off the crops i just help for fun basically. My foot is in the custom hay business, and I've been doing that on my own for 5 years slowly growing my own equipment and customers.

Edited by Rhoadesy_65 - 13 Feb 2020 at 8:14am
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Rhoadesy_65 Rhoadesy_65 wrote:

Im trying to get dad to go in on a 12ft 1200 local to use for 500. I told him we could get rid of his soil finisher if we find a harrow for the back and a rolling basket. We paid like $5k for that frontier and it does a nice job but we got it when we got the 74hp Massey 2607H as the big tractor. Id like to get away from a disk and get to a three pass system. Chisel in fall, cultivate and then cultipack in spring. Right now we plow/chisel in fall, disk once or twice, mulch finish, then cultipack. The chisel will make a big difference this year i think because the ground has settled a bit more evenly. Might try the old horseshoe drag behind it this year.

Agree on the AC1200 20’ FC, but leave some wheel slippage for the old 200 so its drivetrain isn’t nailed down solid. Wishing you great Allis-Chalmers days ahead with the 200.
Ohio darke county has some good silty loam & silty CLAY loam soils. Clay soils tend to compact especially if tilled on damp or wet side. Perhaps soils may benefit from some field tile drainage?? Is your land north of Stillwater river & the glacier moraine? You may have already read about your county’s soils, but if not then here’s a link to its NRCS manuscript. Lots of good info in it. Pages 11-15 briefly discuss how the Wisconsin glaciation stopped & melted across its upper & middle areas while its southern areas eroded near moraine’s ends (hills now).
https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MANUSCRIPTS/ohio/OH037/0/darke.pdf
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 1:09pm
A 12 ft sickle haybine in 5th gear or a 9 ft rotary in 6th gear in good conditions are a good match for a 200. For most field cultivators and discs stay in the 14 to 16 ft range and you can still pull a drag or roller behind it if you want.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 5:53am
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Ohio darke county has some good silty loam & silty CLAY loam soils. Clay soils tend to compact especially if tilled on damp or wet side. Perhaps soils may benefit from some field tile drainage?? Is your land north of Stillwater river & the glacier moraine? You may have already read about your county’s soils, but if not then here’s a link to its NRCS manuscript. Lots of good info in it. Pages 11-15 briefly discuss how the Wisconsin glaciation stopped & melted across its upper & middle areas while its southern areas eroded near moraine’s ends (hills now).
https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MANUSCRIPTS/ohio/OH037/0/darke.pdf
We farm north of the stillwater, a lot of grandpas land boarders it. Grew up fishing tiny bluegill out of it and chasing the sheep back across when it got low and they got brave. Thank you for the NRCS manuscript ill have to show that to dad. The 12 acres at the house are tilled, makes a big difference for us. Not sure about the new ground. Last spring we learned that moldboard plowing in the spring was a bad idea lol. Turned to almost stone and the poor D-19 didnt like that ride much took several disk passes and mulch finisher passes. That corn came up bacl like everyone elses and then dad kinda abandoned it to the weeds. averaged like 50bpa. Lessons to learn I guess. I got dad convinced to let us get a 13ft 1200 with a three bar harrow. Going to try and get it this week.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 9:59am

Last spring we learned that moldboard plowing in the spring was a bad idea lol. Turned to almost stone and the poor D-19 didnt like that ride much took several disk passes and mulch finisher passes. That corn came up bacl like everyone elses and then dad kinda abandoned it to the weeds. averaged like 50bpa. Lessons to learn I guess. I got dad convinced to let us get a 13ft 1200 with a three bar harrow.
[/QUOTE] Sounds like your soils have lots of clay? When clay becomes wet, it swells & seals off around itself(good pond/dam base material). So clay doesn’t drain well. Surface drainage helps remove excess water, but clay will seal off around a buried perforated field tile. Try growing a winter cover crop(rye,oats) or winter wheat? These small grain roots or most any crop will help wick moisture from clay. The winter cover crop can then be terminated by herbicide in spring followed by no-til planting corn. In addition, a no-til environment offers an abundant crop residue near surface which draws earthworm feeding. Earthworm tunnels in soil can also help drainage, but probably more importantly add an improved soil tilt/nutrient levels for future crop roots to strive. Instead of buying lots of tillage tools for your new AC200 tractor, you may want to also invest in a pull sprayer, anhydrous side-dress bar, & no-til planter/drill for it???
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Instead of buying lots of tillage tools for your new AC200 tractor, you may want to also invest in a pull sprayer, anhydrous side-dress bar, & no-til planter/drill for it???

Thats a far future goal. A used no-till planter is hard to come by for a good price in our area, especially when we have a working planter and need to focus on hay equipment. We plowed way to late last year when the soil was a little too wet. A cultivator costs $600, a planter cost $6000. Baby steps this is our 4th year farming on our own.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 12:51pm
https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/grd/d/central-city-allis-chalmers-24-foot/7068292762.html                                             

Edited by bradley6874 - 19 Feb 2020 at 12:55pm
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 12:55pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 6:41am
Tracked down an 16-18ft (i think, as small manual fold wings) 1200 cultivator for less than 600. Has the remlinger 3 bar harrow on back. Excited to give it a try 

Edited by Rhoadesy_65 - 24 Feb 2020 at 6:42am
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 2:18pm
Just right for your 200.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 6:44pm
Don't plan on minimun tillage though because an old 1200 doesn't have much trash clearance. I use a 1200 also but I either moldboard plow or chisel then disc before using it. 
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 7:04pm
Small farms are not profitable enough to have the latest and greatest equipment. Our small farm and the acres that we lease could not pay for no till equipment. We continue to use 50,60,70,80’s technology to survive. I guess we are hobby farmers but turn a profit due to being able to maintain our older equipment. Farley level land allows us to continue to plow, disk, and seed our hay ground over the years. Renting a no till drill is an option that we consider time to time. We will most likely seed in some mixed grass with our orchard grass this year because the mixed hay has been a big seller for us instead of straight orchard grass. Just a little more work for us but gives us more seat time on our AC’s. If you have 75 acres or less, newer equipment is not an option. My brothers and I all work full time, we want to enjoy farming, not allow it to be a burden on us. JMO
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

Small farms are not profitable enough to have the latest and greatest equipment. Our small farm and the acres that we lease could not pay for no till equipment. We continue to use 50,60,70,80’s technology to survive. I guess we are hobby farmers but turn a profit due to being able to maintain our older equipment. Farley level land allows us to continue to plow, disk, and seed our hay ground over the years. Renting a no till drill is an option that we consider time to time. We will most likely seed in some mixed grass with our orchard grass this year because the mixed hay has been a big seller for us instead of straight orchard grass. Just a little more work for us but gives us more seat time on our AC’s. If you have 75 acres or less, newer equipment is not an option. My brothers and I all work full time, we want to enjoy farming, not allow it to be a burden on us. JMO

We are just a little farm as well. Grandpa farms less than 100 acres I would say, and we started our own three years ago. We own 20 acres and I do custom hay work on another 8-10 acres. We farm enough to have fun and feed our own sheep and I make enough off hay to pay for some of my books for school with a little extra spending cash. 

Ill keep in mind we might need a disk pass lonn. In the fall I ran over the 60bpa corn ground with the chisel. It doesnt have front disks but it was light enough stalks i didnt have trouble. Hoping to take a pass with the cultivator first, I spread some manure this weekend over it. Thought about pulling Great grandpas old horseshoe harrow behind the chisel plow that he used to knock down moldboard plow furrows.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic