This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1999 F350

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1999 F350
    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 6:25pm
Auction, a 1999 F350, crew cab 7.3 diesel, 2wd, full size bed, 6 sp. manual, 235,000 mi, cloth interior pretty decent, on a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 5 or 6, not knowing anything about it.
What would be a ballpark figure on value?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:17pm
Currently if can get $7000 out of a pre 2003 are getting pretty lucky.  Engine will outlast body.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 4:07pm
The truck brought $5250.00 at the auction. Add the 12% buyers premium, TX sales tax, title, registration etc., all said it would be close to $6000.00
I quit bidding went topped $4000.00

Edited by Lars(wi) - 22 Aug 2020 at 4:11pm
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 10:47pm
geez, I'd hate to take $6000 for my F-250 with 230,000 miles,,, but I know how it was maintained, kept inside mostly, but I'd go 7 1/2-8 on interior,, oh yea, extended cab long bed...
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 7:38am
Southwest region cars and trucks will bring better No Rust money, get into SE or MW and end up with drive train that outlasts the bodies, hardly worth selling most of them.

Kept my '99 washed and the pocket areas cleaned out until the rust started anyway, then gave up, cab corners, bed wheel well lip, door lower edges all fell prey to the great horned Iron Worms.  If could find a decent 99 or 00 no rust cab for less than the cost of a full truck would consider one to extend the life of mine, but it is still a 21 year old wagon along with 340,000 miles.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 10:39am
235,000 miles???? its junk!--my 97 has 120,000 and is totally worn out! ---7.3's are a 100,00- mile throw away motor---- friends of mine say 60,000 miles is the limit on them so I guess I was lucky. Motor has outlasted the stupid automatic transmission, body is excellent, never drove in winter cause it wont start below 55 degrees so it only gets drove in summer months.
Wish I could find a good 300 and 5 speed to put in the truck!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 11:40am
Might want to tell that to the 4 different 7.3 trucks sitting here with over 200,000 miles on them with no major engine work......
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 11:49am
It all depends on how you take care of them, I had a 99 with a 7.3, sold it with 240,000 on it, bought a new 04 6.0 put 267,000 on it,sold it to buy a 2004 crew cab dually 6.0 when I retired so we'd have more truck for our 5th wheel, that truck has 177,000 on it now, runs good,looks good. I damn sure am not going to spend 70 or 80k for a new one.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 1:44pm
The 7.3 Navistar, although not as powerful as the later 6.0 'Ford-modified' Navistar, and on Ford engines, was in our opinion the much more durable, much more reliable, and due to repairs we experienced on the laters, much LOWER cost to operate than any other Ford diesel light truck powerplant offered.

Diesels are ALL challenged by cold winter starts.  On the 7.3's , we had dual tanks, front was around 18 gallons, rear was 38ish (? senior moment)...  we would run the front tank down to less than 1/8, then [pour in one gallon of premium gasoline, and fill the tank with #2 diesel, then fill the rear with #2.  We'd run them on the rear tank until a really cold snap was expected, then we'd switch to the front tank a mile and a half from home, then shut them down... we'd run engine heater for an hour, restart on the front tank, and once warm, switch to the rear, and it worked flawlessly to '-30F.

7.3 as a "disposable' 100,000 mile engine?  I don't agree there.  When we had 7.3's, we our fleet program was buy-and-sell, meaning, we purchased them outright, fitted our service bodies, and ran them until we deemed it necessary to refresh the fleet.  We ran them about 175,000 miles over a 3 -4 year timeframe... we had 7.3's active in our fleet starting 1993 and while we started a 2-year lease program into 6.0l in 2003, we did not sell off our last 7.3L until 2007, it had 560,000mi on it.

We DID experience a few transmission issues... IIRC those were Allison 5-speed autos, but less than our 6.0 and later fleets.  We had one rear axle that had a problem, seized pinion bearing I think.  We did NO intake, exhaust, 'chip' or programming modifications in any of our trucks.  They got service body mounted, and electricals connected to power the box lights, and went to work.

The opinion of all our guys that operated our fleet at that time, and later, agree that while not as powerful as later units, the 7.3 was the most cost-effective engine of any of our fleets.

They will also note that our fuel economy for the 7.3 fleets was substantially better than any later versions... we were getting 18-19mpg on those... two engine generations later, we were lucky to get over 6mpg.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 3:01pm
I got the best mpg out of my 7.3 it never failed me but in all fairness both these 6.0s haven't failed me either, My first one was a regular cab 4x4 with a 6 speed,17 to 19 mpg just running around hook anything to it and it was 11 mpg. This dually is a 4x4 automatic just running around it's about 16 mpg pulling my gooseneck or 5th wheel about 12 mpg, I guess the difference is it's an automatic.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 5:10pm
About the only notable problem I ever had with my 4x4 SD F250 and a 7.3 was the Boat Anchor effect, absolutely worthless in soft soil or on slick mud, unless had equal ballast at far rear the front went down like a Boat Anchor and there you sat.

Edited by DMiller - 24 Aug 2020 at 5:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic