This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1958 D14 In frame Overhaul

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUBYD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1958 D14 In frame Overhaul
    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 1:36pm
I am in the Middle of a in frame over haul on my tractor who the wife has dubbed "Ruby". A 1958 Allis-Chalmers D14. I purchased this tractor from an old farmer in western Colorado were I  currently live. When I first got her the tires were really bad but held air. I recently got new rubber all around . (fluid filled all around) The transmission, Clutch, Hydraulics are all great. The brakes are even operational. The engine is the 149 CID straight 4 gasoline. It had so much blow by that the valve cover looked like a second exhaust pipe but still ran. I have in completely torn down and cleaned up.
Here is a list of what is getting done.
New Cylinder Sleeves and pistons. Rod bearings obviously.
Valve train Kit
New Muffler
Oil Pressure Gauge
Water Temp Gauge
Ammeter Gauge
Gear Shift dust boot
Gear shift lever washer and snap ring
Air Cleaner mushroom cap
Fuel Strainer
New Carb  (Zenith)
Fuel Filter
Fuel Gauge
Tank Webbing
12v Ignition Coil
Pentronix Electronic Ignition 12v negative ground.
Spark Plugs
Spark plug wires
Alternator 12v 63amp
Alternator Bracket
New Belt
Water pump
Cross MFG Leveling arms (Pair)
Hastings oil filter
Radiator pads
Thermostat 180 Deg F

After this overhaul the only things that does not work is the power steering pump. It steers very easy now so I did not feel like messing with it.

One Piece of information that I am missing is Torque Specs . I purchased a service manual from Steiner Tractor but it does not have torque specs or tightening patterns. Can someone help me out with this information.

Will be posting some pictures.

Sponsored Links

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:37pm
I think there must be a special manual for torque specs.  I have the three normal books, shop, service and parts and I couldn't find anything in them.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:48pm
Head bolts 80-85 ft lbs start in the center and work your way out in a circular pattern, tappet gap 12-14 hot, I would initially set 16-18 cold, rod nuts 35-40 ft lbs
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 7:52pm
A suggestion; since you are changing to an alternator, you might want to think about swapping the ammeter for a volt meter. Ammeters are n't really built for handling the current from an alternator and can be a fire hazard. A voltmeter will monitor what you need to know and work much better with the alternator.

Don't forget that you need to change it to negative ground and change the wires on the coil.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 8:16pm
If you are putting a new fuel strainer on it, you do not need a separate fuel filter.  People often add them when they get a bunch of crud in the fuel tank.  Give the fuel tank a good cleaning out (and lining if rusted) and use good fresh gas and you will not have any problems.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 8:22pm
Nice job on the D14! And the list can go on and on! Dont ask me how I know!
 We need some pictures too.
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 8:56pm
Why not go the rest of the way and wash the crud out of block then new mains, crank seals, piolet bearing, throw out bearing and check clutch?        MACK
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 7:54am
I would get the crank surfaced and new cam bearings. I have three D14s that failed due to spun bearings.
RUBYD14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUBYD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 3:38pm
The previous owner already went through the drive train. I will get there on the rest of the stuff. Right now I got farming to do and I am on a budget. This is a working tractor and I don't plan on it ever leaving my Family.
RUBYD14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUBYD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 3:40pm
The pictures are coming I am having a hard time figure out how to upload them. Tells me the file is to big.
RUBYD14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUBYD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Boss Man Boss Man wrote:

Head bolts 80-85 ft lbs start in the center and work your way out in a circular pattern, tappet gap 12-14 hot, I would initially set 16-18 cold, rod nuts 35-40 ft lbs

Thank you sir I am pretty new at this. What do you mean tappet gap. is that on the valves or push rods.

Where did you find that information or are you just knowing from experience.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 3:59pm
Does it have brakes ??
Crawl under the read end, shoot a light intot he cavity where the brake roads go in..
If there's oil in them ,or dripping out then the differential carrier axle seals are gone..Left side took me 6 days, right side 1 day (kinda KNEW what tools and how to do it).
If you need to do it, PM me , I can write it out with the National seal numbers. the 'trick' I learned here is to put TWO seals in to replace the old one. Old one is 1/2" think, new ones 1/4", so 2 nicely fit AND  2X the protection AND different wear spot on the axle.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:26pm
I have an I & T Manual. Most the torques are listed in the paragraph that covers the particular item.  Tappet gap is the same as valve lash. Feeler gauge between the rocker arm and valve
RUBYD14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUBYD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:09pm
RUBYD14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUBYD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:10pm
Got it will be posting pictures of the Tear down this evening
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic