This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1952 WD 45

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1952 WD 45
    Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 8:02am
A WD 45 takes 6 quarts of SAE 30 oil, correct?
How about the lubricant for the rear unit? There are two access ports on the rear left side, do they take 90 weight gear lube?
Sponsored Links

Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 8:31am
The engine holds 6 qts.

The Hydraulic system also holds 6 Qts. Originally called for 20W non-detergent oil but most people nowadays use universal hydraulic oil. The fill plug for the hydraulic system is equipped with a dipstick and the level should be checked with the rams extended.
There is a magnetic plug for the hydraulic system which must be cleaned when the fluid is drained. There is a small plug at the bottom of the pump control housing and this should also be removed when draining the system.

The transmission, differential, PTO and hand clutch use 80W gear oil (17 qts.) and are filled thru the two threaded plugs to the rear of the hydraulic dipstick.  The three drain plugs are located on the bottom of the transmission, differential and PTO housing.  

BTW,  a '52 would be a WD as the WD-45 did not come into being until mid '53 with tractor ser. number WD146607.

Wilson View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 8:38am
Thanks Brian, I can't find my tractor manual so your answers are helpful.
BTW, I was wrong it IS a 1953, and it definitely is a WD 45. 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 8:54am
I put hytran fluid in the tranny and diff way back in the early 80's just because I had heard of fluids getting mixed if something leaked internally. I sitll have hytran in everything but the engine and final drives. Charlie
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 10:13am
Good Idea Charlie,  Never thought of that.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Ekachman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ekachman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 5:24am
Is there a level plug for the transmission so I can top off the oil level?
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 7:47am
I must be reading the serial number chart wrong. I thought it looked like a break at 160385. Is there more information to go along with the chart listed here?
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 8:03am
redline, take a look at the note at the bottom of the 1950's chart.  146607

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 1:05pm
Ah, now I see it. I should have looked a little closer. Thanks.
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic