This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1951 WD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:48pm
The WD is back to the forefront of my project list now. I realized I needed to clean up the hand clutch assembly and install it first as I was about to lift the hand clutch/hyd/PTO/bell housing to mate with the transmission.

One of the three little springs broke (rusted) so I'm waiting on that from my AGCO dealer... $22 for the shorter 2-disc spring, vs. $5 for the 3-disc spring from the later WD-45s, so I didn't get lucky there. The discs appear to be in good shape but the pressure plates are pretty ugly from the moisture that was in there. I just cleaned them up with a wire wheel and a flap disc but I may try something a little more aggressive. It's times like these I wish I could justify buying a small mill or surface grinder. The plates (one of which is NLA) are about $180 each new from AGCO.

Anybody want to talk me into replacing the pressure plates? I'm on the fence. Not sure I would want to reuse them if I had plans to run Rotobaler or something where I'd constantly be on the hand clutch.

1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 12:29am
John,
Would you have a DA air sander? Might clean and flatten them too? I cant remember having my plates machined, but maybe they were in nicer shape. I like to have the hand clutch operational. We always used them a lot on the farm.  I did have to get one of thew clutch discs for the 45.
Your doing great! I may have some items around if you need something??
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 2:44pm
John, here's a thread where I went through the hand-clutch on one of my 45's. It may help?
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

John,
Would you have a DA air sander? Might clean and flatten them too? I cant remember having my plates machined, but maybe they were in nicer shape. I like to have the hand clutch operational. We always used them a lot on the farm.  I did have to get one of thew clutch discs for the 45.
Your doing great! I may have some items around if you need something??
Regards,
 Chris

Chris, I don't, but it sounds like a good excuse to get another tool. I've been thinking I should get a needle scaler too so I may swing by Harbor Freight later this week. They're not the nicest tools... But usually a cheap way to try out an okay tool and get your feet wet, and upgrade to a nicer one later if needed.

Let me try cleaning these up a little more and get back to you. The pictures of your plates showed they were so much cleaner looking than mine when I went through your WD-45 thread.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

John, here's a thread where I went through the hand-clutch on one of my 45's. It may help?

Thanks Mike, I had not found that thread. From what I can see of the plates you ended up using, they are much nicer... And it looks like the ones you started with looked more like the ugly ones I have now.

You folks with the 3-disc clutches get lucky on those 3 little springs... They're way cheaper than the ones for the 2-disc clutch.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 9:53pm
John,
 If you can get the parts ,you can change and put a 3 plate clutch in your WD, I believe.

Here is a shot of the plate in my WD45 clutch. It was in pretty good shape. I did not resurface it.

I did have to get the one new hand clutch drive disc:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 05 May 2021 at 10:08pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 10:12pm
John,
 I may have mentioned it, and you probably already know but don't forget to go through the oil pump. I forgot that and had to pull the engine again to improve the oil pressure on my WD45 rebuild.
 Regards,
 Chris
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:09am
I am not sure if I am fortunate or not. I have bought many of these tractors non-running, disassembled them and put the parts on the shelf. When I rebuild a tractor I have many parts to choose from. I have a few two disc hand clutches that look almost new. The fortunate part is I have really nice parts. The downside is most will be scrapped when I am gone.  
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 10:24pm
Lon(MN) hooked me up with a very nice used 2 disc hand clutch, and I got a new weld-on PTO shaft coupling and refurbished steering shaft support from Rltool. The forum is a good place for us AC folks.

I also got the torque tube/clutch housing joined back up to the rear end. It's starting to look like a tractor again.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 6:22am
John,
 You have been busy! Its coming right along! Yes good folks with good parts. I have followed the same path several times. Like you I want them to be better than when I found them! Your going to have a very good working tractor!
 Regards,
 Chris
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 10:24pm
Chris, you'll be happy to know I did get into the oil pump. There is very little wear on the bottom plate. There are some paint markings on the body of the pump that make me wonder if it was rebuilt at some point. Play between the shaft and body is also almost non-existent. Per the book .015" is the max gear backlash clearance and I can get a .018" feeler gauge in between mine. I'm not terribly excited about that. Might check with my dealer in case they have any NOS lying around but otherwise the WD gears appear to no longer be in service. Not that I could easily measure wear on a set of used gears anyway without having them in hand and fitting them up.

I am wondering if I would be okay with everything else (cam bearings etc.) getting refreshed? I guess worst case I can drop the oil pan and get to the pump without pulling the engine, but if those gears are shot, I'd rather know now.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 6:02am
John,
 I am not a expert on the oil pump[ wear. I would resurface the end plate back to flat condition while you have it out and apart. The gears, well .018 should still pump oil in my limited opinion. I believe mine was about the same. I improved oil pressure by increasing the spring pressure in the spring on the side of the block. My recommendation would be to do this before you install the engine. I did my spring change in the frame and it was not easy!
Your making good progress on the WD!
Regards,
 Chris
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 5:06pm
Chris, I think that's what I'll have to do. My dealer did not have anything in their warehouse besides the gasket which is still available new. I was reading an old thread on here saying that AC superseded this pump to a newer PN at one point (probably from a WD-45, D-17, 170, etc.) and quit servicing parts for the old. I can find the gears for the newer pump from AGCO for about $200 a piece!

I'll clean it up and put it back together. That bottom plate won't need much lapping to clean it up.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 6:57pm
John,
 I will throw in some pictures of my WD45 pump: Sorry pictures are not good quality. I believe one of the screws is shorter in a certain position. Oil inlet passage???

Befor sanding:

after sanding on a plate,

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Jul 2021 at 7:00pm
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 11:37pm
Chris, I was very wrong about mine not needing much sanding. My first mistake was starting out with 220 grit... I wasted a lot of time before breaking out the 100 and that was definitely the way to go. Then I finished up with with the 220 and there is only some minor pitting visible. I put the pump back together the other day and did note that smaller screw - also mentioned in the service manual.

I tackled the steering shaft u-joint today. I may just not be used to these but it was the most difficult to service u-joint I've ever done. Once I figured it out and cut a piece of 1" pipe to press over the top of the caps, back and forth, and then let some needle rollers fall in to help push the caps out even more, it wasn't too bad. The new u-joint has no play in it and will be a big improvement. There is just barely clearance for the grease zerk. I wonder if I will be able to get a grease gun on it once everything's put back together.

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 11:41pm
I also began replacing bushings and brushes in the starter. The starter would intermittently not work back when the tractor was still together. Hopefully those 2 very worn brushes (~ 1/2 the length of a new one?) were the main issue.

I found a valve guide driver that fit the bushings very well and used that for driving them in. Unfortunately it was a little too large of diameter on the shoulder above, so I wound up using a socket in my press to push them out. They weren't budging with a pilot bearing removal tool.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 8:16am
You're making some big improvements in that old girl! Those U-joints are a pain to change but make a huge difference. How were the pins/holes in shafts? New brushes should make a huge difference too.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 9:16am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

You're making some big improvements in that old girl! Those U-joints are a pain to change but make a huge difference. How were the pins/holes in shafts? New brushes should make a huge difference too.

Thanks Mike! I had a heck of a time getting the pins out. I vividly remember lying under the tractor drilling out the front one, and then I was able to drive out the rear one with a hammer and punch. Thankfully the holes in the shafts and yokes are in good shape. I think I've seen guys on here use roll pins, so my plan is to take the yokes with me to a hardware store and find the right size of roll pins.

I know I'll still have a small amount of slop in the steering after all of this but between this, building up the worn shafts, replacing support bushings, and that bottom bearing in the front end, it's going to be way better than it was. Most of the slop will probably be what's in the sector gear.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 9:26am
John, some of the pins/holes were pretty bad on a couple of my tractors. What I did was find some drill rod 1/32" oversize. I believe 3/8" is stock so 13/32". I then reamed the holes in assembly, cut pins the right length and mushroomed the ends. This really helped with the slop. If they ever have to come apart, just file off the mushroom and make a new pin if necessary.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 9:29pm
So I have been chipping away at this but I haven't made a ton of progress. I tore out a prefab fireplace and installed a wood stove at the end of summer, and have been doing a lot of fence work since for the most part the weather has been dry and warm enough. I ordered some steering shaft bearings and a few other small parts from my AGCO dealer the other day and figured I was overdue for an update.

I got a refurbished steering shaft support, weld-on PTO shaft coupling, and a good used WD hand clutch from some forum members. Got the hand clutch installed.

Then I decided to go ahead and replace the bearings in the steering gearbox casting for the horizontal shaft. I managed to get the race in the bolt-on cap out with an appropriately sized cats-paw pry bar and a lot of tapping back and forth. AGCO had the best prices on bearings.

Gardening season is almost here but hopefully I can keep some priority on the WD and get it buttoned up this year.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 8:08am
Good to see you're making progress, keep at it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 6:41am
john,
 Looks like things are going back together! 
Gardening?? We are in the midst of maple syrup season, gardening looks like a long way off!
Thanks for the update.
 Regards,
 Chris
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 8:52am
Thanks guys! We hit 80 this week... Going to get back down into the 20s for lows next week, so I can't plant anything, but I can get tomatoes and peppers started, get the Gravely ready for soilworking, put up the deer fence, etc.

I need to finish cleaning up the front wheels and get some tires ordered for this tractor, too.
JSHIVERS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSHIVERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 8:59am
I just learned a heck of a lot about WD and WD 45's today! Thanks Gents.  Cool tractor BTW.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 10:34pm
Thanks! I'll be a lot happier when it looks like a tractor again, ha.

I got a chance to put the new to me drill press to work on the thermostat housing casting. Well, mine had no thermostat, so call it whatever you want... I'm adding a thermostat to mine like the later tractors had. All three bolts broke off. I understand from reading on here that this is pretty common.

Two were easy but one is under the inlet and I had a fun time trying to grip the casting well enough to hold it in alignment with the chuck. I did lose some threads at the end of that hole when I was drilling out the broken bolts, but I think there are still enough left to hold. Most things won't be so weird shaped and will be easier to clamp down to the table.

For sure this was way better than using a hand drill like I had been doing.

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 9:54pm
I finally wired my shop over the last month or so and got back on the WD. I've been doing weld/grind/repeat work on the front wheels on and off, and after today I'm calling them good enough. I went ahead and primed and painted the inside with some Rustoleum generic AC orange and maybe that will keep the rust at bay for a few years. These rims will never look nice anyways with the repairs that they needed but they should be functional.

Hope to have new front tires next week.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 9:44pm
John,
 Those front rims are going to look real good on the WD, glad your back on it too!
 Regards,
 Chris
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 3:46pm
I got the new front tires mounted today. Those 24" spoons have proven to be a good investment. These Carlisles were pretty easy to mount.

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 1:08pm
I've been putting the front end back together - new bearings and seals were in order. I realized that the part number for the seal assembly must point the AGCO guys to the individual retainer and cork seal, and I only got one of each when I ordered the complete seal PN, so I need to get a cork seal. I was able to save both of my retainers so I have one extra new retainer now.

The bearing cone I am pointing to in the pic below can spin on the shaft. The raised lines meant to lock the bearing to the shaft must have worn down due to to old bearing rollers being crudded up. Looks like I could either peen the shaft to make some raised areas to grip the inside of the bearing, and/or use the right Loctite?

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 1:25pm
wjohn, loctite has a product they call 'quick metal', it's tailor made for that kind of situation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic