This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1937 u on auction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1937 u on auction
    Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 2:33am

Any ideas what kind of price this "U" will fetch ?

Sponsored Links

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 5:46am
Quite a story! Probably will take some significant bucks to take her home.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
drak View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 6:27am
Augggggg I really really would like to own this tractor, but not for big bucks Cry 
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 9:00am
You do not always have to pay big bucks just for a story . But being at a auction as it is, and the story ,someone just might have some ties to this tractor that's would pay good for it other wise its just another tractor .You just have to be there to see out come and maybe u would be that guy .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 9:44am
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't AC team up with Firestone for putting rubber tires on the U?  If so, the Good Years on this tractor could not be original.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
JayD-17(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayD-17(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 10:54am
In the early production years of the U, AC did have that arrangement with Firestone it seems, but since this tractor is a '37, perhaps that partnering had ended by then?
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 11:18am
Firestone sounds right. Goodyear seems fishy to me.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 11:54am
I'd take that U even if it had Yokohama tires on it. That's quite a tractor.
Leon B Mo
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
everett048 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everett048 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 12:38pm
Wrong generator for 1938 and as far as i am aware they did not have a distributer in 1938 either  Battery box is also in the incorrect place as well i could go on.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by everett048 everett048 wrote:

Wrong generator for 1938 and as far as i am aware they did not have a distributer in 1938 either  Battery box is also in the incorrect place as well i could go on.

It's advertised as a '37.  Nevertheless,  the generator still doesn't seem to be right and the mounting is not like the original.
I don't really know  anything about the "U" but I do have a parts catalog for the U series tractors which I used for reference.
The description indicates it has live hydraulics and the pump can readily be seen beside the distributor. It is obvious, the distributor and hydraulic pump drive are not original but must have been adapted from something else. Maybe a Farmall?
I suppose to get top dollar, everything should be as it was originally.
On the other hand, a few minor changes over the years which, if not detrimental to the operation of the machine or doesn't detract from its looks isn't a bad thing in my opinion.
Advertising a tractor as original when it's not, is certainly not ethical. However, I think, in many cases like this, neither the owner nor the auction house know it's not absolutely original.
As a result, somebody may get this tractor for a good price and wind up with a nice show or parade worthy tractor and provide more fodder for the correct police as well.
WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 6:23pm
Nice - original colour for wheel centers   orange or black?
Fred Dunlop, G,B,CA, WC,WF, 3 WD45`s,gas, diesel and LP,U,D10 series III, D12,D14,D15 SERIES II,D17 Series IV in Gas and Diesel ,D19 GAS and D21,170 185,210 ,220 an I-600 8070 fwd, 716H and 1920H
olivetroad View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olivetroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by DSeries4 DSeries4 wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't AC team up with Firestone for putting rubber tires on the U?  If so, the Good Years on this tractor could not be original.

We have a picture of the first rubber tired tractor that was sold at our dealership - it was a WC with Goodyear tires in March 1936. Ill see if I still have a pic in my phone......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic