This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190XT Power Steering Cylinder Leaking... Repair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190XT Power Steering Cylinder Leaking... Repair?
    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 5:45pm
Hey everyone!

My 190XT seems to be leaking from what appears to be the power steering cylinder. I noticed some fluid on the ground after I had it running while parked for some time today, it appeared to be hydraulic fluid, and this seems to be holding true.

My power steering cylinder appears to be leaking, although I cannot tell from precisely where. You can see a slight dribble-down where the ram comes out of the cylinder, but then I'm not positive that's the spot.

Are there any common issues with this? I would assume a seal has become faulty inside the cylinder, but I also know there's a wealth of knowledge here that others may be up to sharing.
If it is a seal, while researching parts I think I saw something about a seal kit.. But I couldn't actually find one. Does it exist? If so, is this something an ordinary competent mechanic could do or not? 

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also, is this something I can put off repairing for a while (unless it gets worse) or will cause harm? Obviously I'd have to stay on top of fluid, but it's a minor leak.

Edited by Fantrum - 28 Feb 2021 at 5:47pm
Sponsored Links

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 8:04pm
It's over 50 years old, at that age it can be common for a cylinder to leak.  Some of the oil might also be running down the engine and hydraulic pump.

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 8:38pm
Check the line at the bottom of the hydraulic pump, they tend to leak and run down on the A frame near the cylinder also. The ram can be rebuilt by a good hydraulic shop if in fact it’s leaking.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 7:18pm
Thank you both!
I didn't get around to looking more into it today, but I'll definitely check more into it at a later date.

On a bright note, heaven forbid I need it, I found a seal kit for it. 70255712 - runs about $100. I'll put it off for now.. Might get bored one day and want to mess with it, who knows.

Thanks again!
redleg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 10:43am
Thanks for posting the part number for that seal kit. I have some leaks that I have to get cleaned up so that is helpful.
Allis Chalmers 190XT
Gleaner K
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 7:43pm
When all of you get your seal kits, beware of the fact you can easily ruin the white Teflon seal that goes around the piston. It has to be stretched almost to the point of breaking to get it on the piston and then into the groove. So, best to soak it in very hot water before installation to help it stretch easier and then once on the piston and in the groove, place a simple worm gear hose clamp over it to squeeze it back into the proper diameter. Leave the clamp in place for a few minutes and then with plenty of grease and oil slide in into the barrel without shearing it off. I also like to have a thin piece of cardboard or a post card to put between the hose clamp and the Teflon seal to protect the seal from any damage from the hose clamp squeezing it.

Edited by DrAllis - 02 Mar 2021 at 7:44pm
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 9:29pm
That is good advice. I've done that very thing in skidloader cylinders I have repaired
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 9:45pm
i have found on some cylinders that use an internal snap ring to hold the piston in place will create a ridge, so, I use a cylinder hone to smooth it up,, sure makes re-assembly go a lot smoother...
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 2:02am
If you have a good vise it is not that big a deal to reseal a cylinder.  The steering cylinder is not that big.
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 2:04am
@redleg
I hear ya! Trying to post part numbers when I find them for other people to reference years from now.

@DrAllis
Excellent advice! I greatly appreciate it and will keep it in mind! Thank you!

@Everyone
Appreciate all the input! Perhaps one day I will attempt this. Thanks!
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Fantrum Fantrum wrote:

@redleg
I hear ya! Trying to post part numbers when I find them for other people to reference years from now.

@DrAllis
Excellent advice! I greatly appreciate it and will keep it in mind! Thank you!

@Everyone
Appreciate all the input! Perhaps one day I will attempt this. Thanks!

Part numbers can be found on the AGCO parts book website.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 10:25am
@DSeries4
Yes Sir, that's where I commonly go. I just couldn't find a seal kit on there previously. Likely, I wasn't looking in the right spot even with searching.. But I'm sure if I had troubles then others will occasionally as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic