This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190XT Light fuse blows when put into gear..?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190XT Light fuse blows when put into gear..?
    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 5:36pm
So.. I was waiting on some parts to come in today, of course they got delayed, so I spent the day playing with other parts of the tractor... including my lights!

So my lights work. I've cleaned grounds, checked continuity, etc. All of them work, except the flasher that is unplugged. However, whenever I put it into gear and start moving the fuse blows. Only the light fuse. Simply putting it into gear doesn't cause it to blow, but when I start moving is when it happens. I've tested this twice, successfully (in a bad way?).

I'll attach a picture of my wiring diagram.. But any ideas what might be causing this?

Also, I cannot for the life of me find this "Auxiliary Outlet" shown on the far-right side of the diagram.. Can anyone direct me too where it might be? If it matters, I have a cab on my 190XT.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Sponsored Links

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 6:09pm
IMO, you've got a break in the wiring insulation under the fender well area on either side of the tractor for the headlights ?? It apparently has to do with vibration/flexing of the tractor body panels Wink .
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:23pm
Could be Any where. In a light housing, up through fender ribs, or under platform.          MACK
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 8:35pm
Follow the clutch linkage under the dash. Bet its pinching a wire. My 7000 had the harness get shifted and would bite some wires sometimes at certain throttle positions. Took me a while to get to the bottom of that...
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 12:54am
Thanks, everyone! I was concerned it might be something else entirely and I was really confused what it could be. I'll look for some exposed wire somewhere another day. At least we're finally getting some good weather for it!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 4:51am
Does it do it in just certain gears or when you step the clutch in? Or applying brakes to stop to shift? Follow the clutch linkage up under the dash for starters and see if any wires are getting pinched there.

Fantrum, the AUX outlet would be back by/under the tail light on the left fender.  It would be a spring loaded flip lid with two prongs inside.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 5:09pm
@JA(WI)
Thank you for the information on the aux outlet! I definitely don't have one there, so I guess someone removed it however long ago. I suspected as much, but it's nice to confirm it, so thank you.
The fuse only seemed to blow when I stepped off the clutch after putting it into any gear. I assume this was jarring the wire and causing it to connect with the frame.

As far as the exposed wiring.. I found it! Decided to do some investigating today while the kids and wifey were napping and actually managed to find it. I disconnected both lines for the lights, which only left the dash lights/switch(es) connected and it still blew the fuse, so I worked forward from there and found it relatively quickly behind the left side-panel. It had managed to wear through electrical tape and the wire coating and was rubbing on a frame rail I suppose.
Patched it up and tested it out with 100% success. Hopefully I'm not unlucky enough to have 2 areas, ha!

Thanks everyone for the help! Really glad it was simple as I was entirely confused what else would cause it to do such.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 6:13pm
Glad to hear that you found it relatively easy Wink !! Chasing through the fenders would have taken a little longer LOL ! Enjoy the 190 for as long as you can Big smile .
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 7:15pm
@FREEDGUY
Ha, thanks! I had already checked most of the rear-wires before thinking to disconnect the plug and see if that helped.. Thankfully most of it was fairly easy to access, but covered in greasy dirt so it was harder to tell if it was worn or not.

Appreciate your help!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 2:06am
Glad to see you found the problem.  
Maybe wrap some extra insulation around in that area, like slitting a hose and slipping over the wire harness. 
Thank you for posting what you found.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 2:16am
I have some electrical issues on a road tractor I would love to have you trouble shoot .
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 5:58am
Happy you FOUND it ! That's the hard part, fixin is easy...

You may want to add a length of 'rubber hose' over that section of wiring. It'll keep the wires from shorting out in the long term. I suspect years of vibration caused the problem.
I've used rubber garden hose, clear vinyl tubing, etc. in the  past. usually 6-8" long, slit lengthwise similar to 'plastic wirewrap' but tougher.

BTW those hydraulic lines look 'weepy',might be a god time to clean them check those fittings.Have no idea what they're for but if they leak...dang, your pretty repair will look messy !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 2:01am
@festus51
I'm not sure if you're talking to me or not, but if so, feel free to PM me! Always happy to help if I can.

@jaybmiller
Thanks!
I layered it up as best I could with what I had on hand, but next time I'm at the hardware store I'll grab something extra. Good advice, thank you!
Also good advice on the hydraulic lines! I'm running out of projects, so perhaps that will be among my next!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic